Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Using a 30 Carbine as a civilian fighting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Using a 30 Carbine as a civilian fighting rifle.

I have an Israeli Arms Industries copy of the 30 Carbine. I bought it several years ago to have as a defensive rifle because it was much less exspensive than an AR 15/M4 style rifle. I was able to find several 20 and 30 round magazines for it at good prices and it seemed to meet my needs. I eventually was able to buy a Rock River Arms AR15 with hopes of getting into 3 Gun competitions and maybe taking a serious Rifle class or two but just never found the time and money to do it. The older I get the less likely I am to keep up with the "young guns" in classes or competition, so I sold my AR and have gone back to thinking of my little 30 Carbine as an adequate defensive rifle. I know many small LE agencies use them or at least did, as patrol rifles because of they're affordability. But I have not seen a lot of talk about using them in the capacity of a civilian fighting rifle. Worthwhile modifications, operating techniques, and training methods to get the most out of the gun. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by locnload; 09-14-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

By "civilian fighting" I presume u mean defense. The M-1 Carbine is a really, really, great and accurate pistol.

As a rifle they are small, light, very handy, fun as heck to shoot, historic and just cool. If in good condition, and so are the mags, they are pretty reliable. Not the worst choice though range and ammo itself is limited in effectiveness compared to more modern rounds and in factory (and even reload) options. Buy factory in case quantity to save money and have the perspective that "what u have on hand is all you're ever going to be able to get your hands on ever again."

Use new GI mags -- plenty around. Get a bayonet (there are also GI bolt-on flash-arrestors, 15-rnd mag pouches that fit around stock, 30-round mag clips...). Practice using simple arm well.

You're good to go.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 09-14-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The .30 Carbines are light, handy rifles. They are underpowered by rifle standards. They are severly limited in useful range. The ammo choices are FMJ/Ball that sucks for all but head shots. Soft point that has almost no expansion. Hollow point that also has almost no expansion. Hand loading with the Speer "Plinker" bullet may give better terminal ballistics.

If it was my only choice, I would make it work and stockpile many mags and ammo. Count on 3-4 shots per adversary.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

The_Kid Likes This 
Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4467 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

they are fast light and you can get rapid hits accurately due to the minimal recoil. kinda like an ar15 but weaker.

its on par with with the 357sig pistol cartridge in power levels with similar range restriction.

the issues you have with the 30carbine is sheer age. or in your case a proprietary copy that GI parts may or may not work in. all of the actual 30M1 rifles are ancient and little to no spares in good condition exist. if you spend the time money and effort to rehab one to like new condition they are superb short range defensive rifles. but doing that and you easily exceed the cost of a decent 16inch milspec ar15 carbine.

ive been working on rehabing one for a number of years but its difficult at best to find good barrels and parts of late. its all pretty much dried up and must of the M1carbine stuff is pretty junky leftovers or super pricey like new parts.

its sad such a fun easy to use gun hasnt made a come back. they werent expensive to make even by ww2 standards.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1126 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I called the .30 carbine I used to own the most fun rifle I ever owned! While it's true that refurbishing one is now a nightmare, if you have one that is straight-shooting and reliable there is no reason that it can't be used for the relatively short range duty of home defense. Use new ammo for the purpose of self-defense for the sake of reliability, and new magazines for the same reason, but there's no reason not to use surplus magazines and ammo for range practice. Your new ammunition choices are limited unless you reload, so shot placement becomes crucial.

Anyone considering cheap/surplus guns for defense should make sure that the weapon is perfectly functional and make sure there is more ammo on the market than anyone would need for 1,000 years! the cheap surplus practice ammo should let you do several hundred rounds a month so that you are better at shot placement when it counts. Having a gunsmith look the gun over and give it a clean bill of health would be a good idea as well in case you have a shooting incident that calls the safety of the weapon into question in a court of law.

Remember the old saying: "Beware the man that owns one gun." If you know your weapon inside out, know how it shoots and it's the only one you practice with, you'll be a deadly shot no matter what type of gun you choose nor the ammunition it fires.

LocnLoad, you asked about modifications and training: I wouldn't change the gun too much, other than lengthening or shortening the stock to fit your body (many owners add a recoil pad for length - it certainly doesn't need one for recoil!), or possibly bolting on a flashlight or laser, if needed. The .30 is a modern, semi-auto carbine and any DVDs or courses that train carbine techniques will apply to yours. Don't be intimidated if everyone has an AR - it's not the only reliable carbine made!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 09-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a couple of Inlands and they were great. I changed out all the springs and kept some springs for backup. .30 Carbine ammo is kind of expensive out here and not always readily available. Stock up online and you should be good to go.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3843 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

A little bit off topic but related.

Our unit issued some M1 Carbines to the ARVN's in Vietnam and every time I read about them it reminds me of a saying we had.
Goes like this.
"Want to buy an ARVN weapon, never fired and only dropped once"

NSDQ

Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Personal observation, it might be better than a sharp stick but only if it has a bayonet. I have bounced the rounds off of a 55 gallon steel drum at 50 yards. My brother got rid of his in Korea after the first time he used it in combat. They should have taken the rim off of a 357 mag cartridge and used that.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

If it's all you have for defense, get some GI 15 round magazines (most reliable) and some soft points.

And practice 3-5 quick shot drills.

I have one, and it's a really fun gun. I load 110 grain FMJ for plinking.

I would really suggest though, that you get another AR-25. cheaper ammo, more reliable, and a helluva more effective.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

You can get a Ruger Mini 14 with a 20 round mag for $600 from CDNN. It would be a better rifle and cheaper to shoot.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
Sell the carbine. It is nothing more than an expensive to shoot plinker.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.