Use of the Sling - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Use of the Sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I haven't used a sling for shooting in a LONG time. Shooting slings are hard to come by outside of competition 22.

Does anyone have any good links toward a hunting sling ? Low cost competition one ?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on attaching a sling to the barrel.
Free float the barrel and fasten the sling to the stock.

If one wants a sling to shoot with make sure it is one that can be adjusted as in the video I posted earlier as most slings are made for carrying and not shooting
A GI sling that is 1 1/4 inch in WIDTH can be purchased for under $20
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp.. They are temporally out of stock but they can be had elsewhere. THEY TAKE 1 1/4 INCH SWIVELS.
You will notice marked accuracy using a sling properly and it will allow one to more effectively use the sitting position where vegetation is tall.
A sling in a sitting position will nearly be as accurate as prone
I have a cotton one and mark the strap with a felt marker to reference the different lengths for the positions. Each body is different so one length will not fit all positions.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I have used a sling for about as long as I can remember,, my father used to shoot high poweed rifle shoots with an 03/A4 and taught us to use the sling for better stability and help with trigger control,, less stress on the shooting hand. And of course the PMI's and Drill Instructors on Parris Island definitely taught the use of the sling,,,the dreaded sling palsey as I'm sure you old Jarheads remember. I use mine from my Hawken .54,, and old bow string,, to my heavy rifles. They help me and can normally help most folks.I believe you can still get the old military styled leather adjustable slings from Brownell's.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #14

Liked 580 Times on 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
Do any of you use the sling in your shooting? I learned to shoot long range with the sling in offhand, sitting & kneeling at 200, 300 and 500 yards, and still use it for distance shots even when hunting.

I know you old Marines snapped-in with that M1 or M14 sling tightened like a tourniquet
Used in the Marines too. Never tried it on my weapons at home. I know it works. I see people trying to do it, but they don't wrap it right.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Do any of you use the sling in your shooting? I learned to shoot long range with the sling in offhand, sitting & kneeling at 200, 300 and 500 yards, and still use it for distance shots even when hunting.

I know you old Marines snapped-in with that M1 or M14 sling tightened like a tourniquet
yes, i have a lot of rifles with slings. sometimes they are used, other times not depending on the situation.

and yes i have the old style sling for my AR-15 for when i really want to be stable.

and the tourniquet quote made me laugh.. i remember my shooting instructor saying it..

old marines? in 05 it was still being taught
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #16

Liked 78 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have a sling on any of my rifles which are shot off hand. But I don't use the arm-cuff type sling arrangement, except for High Power rifle. I use a hasty sling arrangement for offhand and kneeling.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #17

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I won't take a rifle in the woods without a sling,yes I take every advantage to make that first shot count be it a sling,tree trunk,fence post,and other shooting anchors.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #18

Liked 187 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Never seen this be done before...guess I'm still very much a n00b :embarrassed:

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Don't be embarrassed- a lot of folks were never taught a sling is for more than carrying a rifle.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #20

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Use them with off-hand practice.Whichever "style" sling or method you use....try to get consistent pressure on it.That's one of the beauty's of slings......over say a hard rest.You can "feel" the pressure that's being applied to it.

This is why you shouldn't rest your rig,hard against a tree trunk/branch....instead,use your hand as a buffer.You can then feel the pressure.

Also on cheap plastic stocks(you know who you are,haha)...watch the forend flex.On some rifles theres so much rubbery-ness to the forend that even though it may be free floated.......it'll actually bounce enough to get barrel SLAP.This can also happen with sling use.