Use of the Sling
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Use of the Sling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Default Use of the Sling

Do any of you use the sling in your shooting? I learned to shoot long range with the sling in offhand, sitting & kneeling at 200, 300 and 500 yards, and still use it for distance shots even when hunting.

I know you old Marines snapped-in with that M1 or M14 sling tightened like a tourniquet

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
Trez Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

I don't use a sling while shooting. wasn't trained that way. but, the M-16/M4/AR-15 platform used in today's combat zone isn't really a long distance weapon system. if standing up, it's typically because you're moving and engaging in close range targets like clearing a building or traveling up a city street--not exactly precision work. long range shots usually mean you have cover to hide behind and "go prone" with...even if it's more of a modified kneeling.

but now that I have a .308 bolt action, I have a new skill set to learn. first 15 shots I've fired through it have me at about 4" at 100 yards. pathetic in my opinion, but I have a lot to go through with a new to me, unknown rifle...clean barrel, scope mounts, plus shooter skills. I may be putting on a sling and learning how to shoot with it.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Liked 218 Times on 143 Posts

It is a very effective technique when practiced and used properly. Like stated most of today's modern tactical slings cannot be used in this manner but that is not what they are designed to do.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure a lot of younger shooters either never learned or had forgotten about the technique.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32909
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
The use of a sling will definitely enhance your marksmanship
The hasty sling is beat used from standing or stalk hunting while the loop sling is best used from a stationary positions of kneeling, sitting, prone.
A great place to learn about slings, marksmanship and have a great time shooting is at an at an Appleseed shoot. They have great coaching and if you are ex military you will recognize the course of fire without a DI over your shoulder.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

The sling is great for target shooting.

But I find that I can usually find a solid rest in less time that it takes to get into a proper sling.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #6

Liked 719 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 764

I have one of the M1907 slings on my M1903.. My favorite rifle and sling.... (Until I get that Garand anyways... )

Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

I use the sling when shooting, but I don't use it properly. I just wrap it around my left arm and it helps secure ans steady the rifle.
ct

Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8704 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

With 30 cal weapons, can work great.

With SOME of the 5.56 weapons, the barrel is slender enough that using a deliberate sling can (temporarily) bow the barrel, and move the point of impact.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB
It is a very effective technique when practiced and used properly. Like stated most of today's modern tactical slings cannot be used in this manner but that is not what they are designed to do.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure a lot of younger shooters either never learned or had forgotten about the technique.
This "young buck" enjoys using his sling. I've got one on my SKS and I enjoy taking standing shots. I haven't got one on my hunting rifle, but I've thought of adding one.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I wrap the sling around my forearm up to my wrist. I find that this keeps my CZ-550 synthetic very steady on drive hunts. Other than that, I do need a sling since I hunt from high seats that have something to place your rifle on.