US Model of 1917, Eddystone; Bore Condition
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

US Model of 1917, Eddystone; Bore Condition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default US Model of 1917, Eddystone; Bore Condition

I wanted to post on the bore of my 95 year old Eddystone US Model of 1917 which is quite rough, but not as rough as it used to be.

I got this rifle from my dad 30 years ago and didn't think the barrel was quite as bad as it was. I used to check the bore by removing the bolt then looking through the chamber pointed at a light source or bright item such as a white piece of paper. Using that method I thought the bore was pretty good, it looked like a mirror.

It wasn't until a vigorous cleaning and a few pics with a digital camera that I was made aware of the true condition of my bore... Observe;

US Model of 1917, Eddystone; Bore Condition - General Rifle Discussion

That was 1.5 years ago, after a 3 day cleaning marathon.
Either someone had thought they were getting the rifle clean, or just didn't care to. I am sure it had been shot using old corrosive ammo.

I didn't want to get too involved with expensive methods of trying to get the bore back into shape, I didn't actually have much faith in improving it to tell you the truth. So I decided to keep it clean and shoot it as I normally would.

Since I usually take one shot a day, (with whatever rifle I feel like shooting that day,) and would clean it after each use, the process was much like a barrel break-in procedure. Here is what it looks like today.

That is a lot better than it had been. It used to be so bad that none of my cleaning brushes would follow the rifling as I swabbed the bore; now they do.

It still copper fouls worse than any rifle I've ever seen but it shoots well.
The square outline was where a white piece of cardboard was that I used as an aiming point.

I'll continue with the cleaning process as I have been, hopefully it will be even smoother in another year or so. I probably should measure some of the fired bullets, (or slug the barrel,) to see what the dimensions are.

Last edited by The_Kid; 12-06-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added info for clarity

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Nice report... Nice grouping coming from open sites at 200 yrds with a very old rifle. Bore is looking very clean as well..

Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

How does it do when the load is not "Kinda hot"?

Pushing a bullet to the extreme (or upper limits) sometimes is not the best formula for accuracy.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10720 Times on 4641 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Considering that all US military 30-06 was corrosive up to about 1952, it is almost certain that your rifle ran a lot of corrosive ammo.

Bore looks a LOT better (nice photography, BTW). You might consider trying some JB's Bore shine- very mild abrasive used on a patch- to help smooth out some of the rough spots- but that is still very decent accuracy.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

Liked 924 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

My Arisaka was/is the same way.. I think I was the first to clean or shoot it from when it was taken in WWII.
You should get a actual bore light, it lets you see down the entire length of the bore, into chambers, a nice thing to have..

Im gonna try your cleaning method though.... The last couple of times I took the Arisaka out I learned it has a super tight bore and it fouled real bad with copper...
I was loading .310 bullets pulled from Mosin ammo that shot great with no problems. I bought some .311 bullets because .310 isnt easy to find locally and everywhere you read says the Arisaka takes .311-.312. But no matter how low I loaded it I would get pressure signs on my brass (sticky brass, flat primers), and it copper fouled bad - The copper almost fills the rifling, Im having a hell of a time getting it out....

Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
How does it do when the load is not "Kinda hot"?

Pushing a bullet to the extreme (or upper limits) sometimes is not the best formula for accuracy.
I have no problems whatsoever accuracy wise when load developing for this rifle... or any of my rifles for that matter. The reason it is kinda hot is; this is how hot the load must be to jibe with the predetermined sight graduations.

I was tired of chasing POIs with temperature sensitive powders so I changed powder from IMR 4064, (which worked fine in the summer months,) to a supposedly temperature insensitive powder. I tried Varget first, but couldn't get the desired POI height, then settled on H4895.

Of course today was the first time I shot it at 38F, (42F colder than load development,) whereas the POI was 10" lower at 400 yards.

So I might as well use the mild load with IMR4064, because I'm going to have to carry a cartridge in my pocket, (keeping it warm,) when shooting during winter anyway.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
You should get a actual bore light, it lets you see down the entire length of the bore, into chambers, a nice thing to have..
I have a bore light. A bore scope is what would probably do better than the camera I use now. But I can see the entire length with magnified images now, I just need to focus on the area I wish to capture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
But no matter how low I loaded it I would get pressure signs on my brass (sticky brass, flat primers), and it copper fouled bad - The copper almost fills the rifling, Im having a hell of a time getting it out....
I would try slugging the barrel to see what the actual dimensions are. It could possibly use a 308 diameter bullet with no issues. I would run that plan by an expert before I tried it.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #8

BTW: Thanks for the compliments!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

I tried the Eddystone again at 400 yards today, but this time I warmed the cartridge before I shot it.

It shot right where it should have.

It looks like there really isn't a temperature insensitive powder... at least temperature insensitive enough to make the summer/winter difference.