Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   An upside down ariska (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/upside-down-ariska-48186/)

MobileMarine 09-12-2011 10:09 PM

An upside down ariska

I have a rather ragged looking ariska , think a type 38 , no stamp :( but anyway.
Other than it not being a matching bolt that needs a tlc the barrel unscrews from the receiver . Problem in that when you screw it all the way in the sight is upside down lol . If you back it out enough to be upright it wiggles . This worries me as Im concerned about putting a round in it and the spacing not be right , that is if I can find 6.5 jap rounds . On a better note on of my customers gave me a bayonet that was a bring back and it just happens to be for the ariska and its been sharpened :D . Any thoughts for the barrel issue ?

hiwall 09-12-2011 10:26 PM

Take it to a gunsmith to check the head space. If head space is OK then you could scope it or install new sights and shoot it the way it is. Option 2 is have gunsmith cut back the shoulder on the barrel until the sights are correct then cut back the back of the barrel until the action will close. Then recut chamber to the correct head space. Or put a different barrel on gun in the caliber of your choice. Or sell it. Or hide it in your garage. I think thats all your options.

Firearms4ever 09-12-2011 10:34 PM

I would take it to a gunsmith. I have a type 38 Arisaka that my grandfather brought back from Japan after WWII, but I'm not as experienced or familiar with it as I am with the Mosin Nagant.

I'd be glad to send you some 6.5 Jap ammunition, that is if I could find it -.-. How my wife managed to hide about 700 rounds of it from me and herself I don't know.

MobileMarine 09-12-2011 10:37 PM

700 rounds of 6.5 ???? Why dont you sell it and retire for a year ?

c3shooter 09-12-2011 10:55 PM

Headspace is NOT just "screwing the barrel into the receiver". Please, do NOT try shooting it that way. The stains of body fluids on the floor make me get all depressed! :eek:

As the man said, get a smith to check what's going on. May need some lathe time for that one. While the Arisaka is one of the strongest actions out there, the condition you have described can hurt you.

JonM 09-12-2011 10:57 PM

its not that pricey :) graf and sons sells it 20.99 a box but they are currently sold out but they do stock it. it is easily loaded for as norma makes cases as does lapua if im not mistaken.

your real issue is making sure you get the right ammo for the chamber there are two varieties 6.5x50 and 6.5x51 the x50 cases will work just fine in the x51 but not the otherway round.

Firearms4ever 09-12-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 579288)
700 rounds of 6.5 ???? Why dont you sell it and retire for a year ?

Yep. All of them are on stripper clips and I keep them in a few military ammo boxes, but I can't find them :o. Originally I think I had around 2,400 rounds :eek: that my grandfather brought back from Japan, but since then between me, my wife, and a few of my cousins we've brought it down to 700, but mostly my wife :o.

MobileMarine 09-12-2011 11:31 PM

wonder if it can be re-barreled and chambered for 300winmag ? that would be bad ass even if it is the most un-american gun I own . Im not a expert on guns but I try to be a expert on the ones I own , Which is for some reason a scary amount . If a show about gun hoarders came out I would be featured lmao . Quantity not quality lol

Trez 09-13-2011 02:50 PM

I had the same problem with my Win 1895, Take it to a gunsmith and he'll ether have to make a spacer or lathe and rechamber the barrel... It shoudlnt cost too much....

If the rest of the Arisaka is in good condition and you have a bayonet, I would keep it original..

@Firearms4ever.... If you find your Jap bullets would you sell me a couple of strippers with rounds? Id would like to have a couple in my collection. I have 1 stripper of 6.5 but it only has 4 rounds on it..

Firearms4ever 09-13-2011 08:20 PM

I'd be glad to sell you some once I find them, just don't tell my wife ;).