Unknown Rifle... Help???

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Unknown Rifle... Help???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Unknown Rifle... Help???

My boyfriend was given a Rifle yesterday and the pervious owner doesnt know what it is, and we have no idea what kind or the age of it either. I havent had a chance to take it to a gun shop yet to see if they know. The rifle is stamped with a very small circle with what looks like a JV inside it then 3 6 3 6 8 then alittle bit bigger circle with two smaller circles inside it. Im attaching pictures of the rifle from different views. My camera wont take clear pictures of the stamping. The rifle is about 3 1/2 foot long. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is pretty hard to tell from the pics but it looks like a Mauser of some sort. Any other markings on it?

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

There is a small W on the side of the sight on the same side as the other stamping ( on the left side ) The barrel opening is the size of a pencil. I dont see any other markings other than some wear where a scope was attached.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #4

Heres a picture of the stamping. Its the best I could get with this camera.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:59 AM   #5

Default jap rifle

thats a japanese rifle the last picture gives it away the bolt release and th grove in the receiver for the dirt cover.cant tell by picture but if the bore is about .26 it is 6.5 if bore is about .30 it is 7.7 mm.another look and the numbers are serial numbers.the circle in circle just forward of the bolt release is the arsenal that made it.does it have the crysanthem? on top of the receiver at front.

Last edited by WILDCATT; 08-15-2007 at 01:03 AM.