Universal M1 Carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Universal M1 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default Universal M1 Carbine

Does anyone have any information on the Universal M1 carbine. I may be have an opportunity to purchase one in the very near future. I was wondering what one would go for in good condition with 100 rounds of ball ammo.

Also I was wanting to know if anyone makes home defense ammo for them...hollow point, soft point, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have a Universal that was made in 69 and it's been a good one but sadly that's not the case with most Universals. Most GI parts wont work on Universals. If it's cheap enough go for it but I'd say if it's over 300 leave it be and a lot of folks wouldn't give that much for one.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Casey, no an expert, but the best term I have heard is "indifferent and varying quality". When Universal first started making them, they were using GI parts. As the source of those parts began drying up, they started making their own, and changing the design, with the result that many parts do not interchange with the GI carbine, and when (notice I did not say if, but when) a part breaks, you will not be able to get a replacement part. There IS HP and JSP ammo- question is whether it will feed in YOUR carbine- they were made for round nosed ball. Unless price is so low you could consider it disposable, would pass. DO check the ODCMP website for carbines. Price may be higher, but it IS a GI carbine in working order- guaranteed.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #4

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

With the way the economy is, I don't think of anything as being disposable. I think I will pass and wait for the wife's uncle to come off of his. It is made by Inland (does that sound right?). I have shot it a time or two and I was pleased.

Thanks for all the info guys. It's appreciated.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Inland was one of several makers of M-1 Carbines for the US. Its a real one.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The prices on the M1 Carbines at the CMP are not too bad. I was in the store about two months ago and Carbines and Garands (Rack Grade) were starting at $395. I picked up a Field Grade Carbine for $495. My luck was good that day. The gun I found was in great shape wood and wear wise, and was a gun that had been transfered to the Austrians after the war and had not been bounced around the world for the last 60 years. If you get a chance the Bavarian M1 Carbines are full of history (www.bavarianm1carbines.com).

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Last edited by Flint Rock; 11-01-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's my Carbine and Garand. Both came from the CMP and are flawless shooters.
http://
The day I went to the CMP I went to "look". Well,,,,,,,,, you can see what looking did to me. we won't even talk about ammo.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.