Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Unexpected christmas gift (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/unexpected-christmas-gift-21464/)

General_lee 12-25-2009 03:32 AM

Unexpected christmas gift

2 Attachment(s)
A little background.
Some of you already know I work at a gun store part time, but I also work two days every week with the owner of the store, who is a gunsmith.
I've been working for him since June of this year.
Anyways, for the past couple months, he's been teaching me how to build a custom rifle.
I did most of the shaping of the stock, fitting the barrel and action in the stock, acraglass bedding and the finish on the stock.
Yesterday he told me I had been building my own Christmas present:D
It was built completely from spare parts the boss man had around the shop.
The action is from a 95 Mauser, the barrel is from a Remington 700 and it is chambered in .308.
He even threw in a BSA scope that had been collecting dust in the shop:p
I have not shot it yet, I just got it home today.
There's still a couple things i need to do to it, the stock needs one more coat of polyurethane and we've got to do some fine tuning to the action... we'll probably get that done next week.

CA357 12-25-2009 03:45 AM

Sweet!

Merry Christmas! :D

LotzORemmies 12-25-2009 08:55 AM

Luckiest SOB here. Merry Christmas :D

ItsmeShane 12-25-2009 11:09 AM

that is awesome. it looks just like my buddies Savage. nice gun though, Merry Christmas brother. Im getting a gun today as well.

Txhillbilly 12-26-2009 02:19 AM

Congratulations on a fine looking rifle. I'm sure you will truly enjoy it since you have your own sweat & effort in it. I hope it shoots great. Glad you had a Merry Christmas from your boss.

UnderFire 12-26-2009 03:33 AM

I bet that was quite a surprise.
Anything & everything means sooo much more when you've
made it with your bare hands. Congrats!!
That's a sharp looking rifle!! Job well done!!

General_lee 12-26-2009 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone! I hope yall had a merry christmas:)
I'm going to try it out this afternoon. I don't have any ammo for it yet, but I have a friend thats gonna lend me some rounds.

LotzORemmies 12-26-2009 07:38 PM

I smell a detailed range report. (with pics) :D

General_lee 12-28-2009 03:15 PM

Well fellas, heres a little update for ya.
Sorry no pics yet.. I was shooting at stumps in the water again.
It appears to be a very sweet shooting gun, we still need to do a little fine tuning to the feed ramp and extractor though.
She shot fine, I didn't think I would do very well with it at first because I figured the boss just mounted the scope without boresighting it.. well, apparently he DID boresight it so It did just fine as far as accuracy.
Really the only thing thats gonna take some getting used to is the long mauser trigger pull.

Jo da Plumbr 12-28-2009 03:40 PM

That's some nice boss you got there.