Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Underappreciated hunting rifles.....your opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Underappreciated hunting rifles.....your opinions?

Just wanted to get some opinions on what you folks would categorize as top quality (well made) hunting rifles that don't draw a lot of attention in the hunting/collecting arena or "fly beneath the radar" a lot of the times on used gun racks - perhaps due to plain appearances or an unfounded perception of poor quality?

I'm ususally a sucker for stray dogs and am always drawn to what might be considered "ugly or plain rifles" yet, in no way, lack build quality.

A recent article in Rifle magazine touted the Schultz & Larsen rifles as being world class yet still considered a bargain since not many people are farmiliar with them.(Well, at least not until advertised in a national publication) I had never heard of these rifles so was fascinated. I recently spied an Ithica LSA 55 in .308 at a local gunshop and thought this to be a beautiful rifle in both construction and appearance at a modest price but had never crossed pahs with one before! Apparently built by Tikka and imported by Ithica during the 70's.

I like the Remington 721's/722's and Winchester 670's very much also.

What other rifles may not be well known or go unheralded/unappreciated on the used racks??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #2

Despite the good press Savage is laughed at by many people I talk to, despite having turned their name around years ago.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The Mossberg M-800m It is a short rifle with a barrel of 20" a mannlicher stock. they shoot good and even now don't cost a fortune even though they are rather rare. They were produced in the 60's and 70's.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #4

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Almost any rifle w/ the Husqvarna stamp. Just as w/ many European companies they are overlooked by many. The commercial TV and magazine blitz of the 1960's and '70's by U.S. manufacturers did its' job. Calibers suffer from the same issues. 6.5x55, 8x57, and 9.3x57 are my favorite hunting calibers. To this day manufacturers are trying to improve on cartridges that have been around since before 1911. Most of todays rifles are push fed, not a controlled feed. They are loosely based on the '96 or '98 action, and are not close to the quality, fit, or finish of these old European rifles.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Interamrs Mark-X Mausers and others manufactured by Zastava. They are a great commercial Mauser actions and some of the Mark-X ones have a polish/blueing that rivals many custom gun makers. I see them used for $350 all the time and if I didn't have too many rifles already I would buy them all...