Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ultra Bore Coat vs Sweetshooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ultra Bore Coat vs Sweetshooter

Some people swear by Ultra Bore Coat for permanently filling the micropores of barrels to prevent powder and copper fouling.

I was almost ready to order Ultra Bore Coat but I came across a similar product called Sweetshooter by Tecrolan. It appears that Tecrolan has been selling this stuff to coat cylinders in auto engines for some time. It costs much less than UBC (about $20 vs $44 for UBC). The chemistry may be the same since the cleaning/application routines are similar but it's hard to tell from the data presented by both companies. They both claim that their product consists of micro sized particles that get into the micropores of the barrel. They both require that the product be allowed to dry and then recommend shooting rounds to "set" the product in the pores.

Has anyone tried Sweetshooter? A gun shop where I first found it swears by this product.

Bill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #2

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Why bother. Just buy a lapping kit. If you reload and are getting inconsistent groups, fire lap. There have been many products out there over the years. Moly was the big craze years ago. Maybe it is just me, but I've seen no advantage to these products.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Why bother. Just buy a lapping kit. If you reload and are getting inconsistent groups, fire lap. There have been many products out there over the years. Moly was the big craze years ago. Maybe it is just me, but I've seen no advantage to these products.
Thanks for the reply. However, guys that have experience with UBC say that after application they never need to use a brush to remove copper or powder residue and cleaning requires fewer patches. If they are right then this stuff seems to have some merit.

I have a new chromed barrel (even chromed bores have micropores) and want to start out with the best case. Any kind of lapping, including fire lapping, removes material from the barrel since an abrasive is used so I'm reluctant to do this on a virgin chromed barrel.

Bill

Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #4

Default Ultra Bore Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgu View Post
Some people swear by Ultra Bore Coat for permanently filling the micropores of barrels to prevent powder and copper fouling.

I was almost ready to order Ultra Bore Coat but I came across a similar product called Sweetshooter by Tecrolan. It appears that Tecrolan has been selling this stuff to coat cylinders in auto engines for some time. It costs much less than UBC (about $20 vs $44 for UBC). The chemistry may be the same since the cleaning/application routines are similar but it's hard to tell from the data presented by both companies. They both claim that their product consists of micro sized particles that get into the micropores of the barrel. They both require that the product be allowed to dry and then recommend shooting rounds to "set" the product in the pores.

Has anyone tried Sweetshooter? A gun shop where I first found it swears by this product.
I never heard of Sweetshooter by Tecrolan and will be checking it out. I am a big believer in UBC, hence I sell the product and do business with the product. Sure there are skeptics like the other post. They think it is snake oil. But when I go to these shows, conventions etc, and have people actually see the product installed in guns, do they realize the value in it. Not just black powder, but pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns.

When I go to a register shoot, I can shoot 400 rounds plus a day, two min to swab out the barrel and its clean. Target practicing with the pistol, shoot 50+ rounds in a pistol, usually have 4-5 pistols to toy with. 10 min to clean out all the barrels if that. UBC does a lot more than just easy to clean barrel, or just dealing with copper fouling. Its a complete change in gun care all together.

Every new gun you get, apply UBC to it. Literally a couple of patches and done, clean, thats it! For those shooting numerous rounds like your machine guns, or toying around with a few pistols, or maybe those black powder guns, it is truly amazing! But for even those guns one may use a few days out of the year to go hunt, the maintenance is well worth it!

If there are other products like UBC out there, by all means go for it. I know about UBC cause I use it and sell it. That is why I am going to check out Tecrolan. I see the value in these kind of products! Check out www.ExtremeGunCare.com, We Clean Your Guns!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #5

Just wanted to let everyone know we have our website up and running with plenty of stock if you were interested in picking up any of the DIY Kits or other products that we carry.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGunCare View Post
I never heard of Sweetshooter by Tecrolan and will be checking it out. I am a big believer in UBC, hence I sell the product and do business with the product. Sure there are skeptics like the other post. They think it is snake oil. But when I go to these shows, conventions etc, and have people actually see the product installed in guns, do they realize the value in it. Not just black powder, but pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns.

When I go to a register shoot, I can shoot 400 rounds plus a day, two min to swab out the barrel and its clean. Target practicing with the pistol, shoot 50+ rounds in a pistol, usually have 4-5 pistols to toy with. 10 min to clean out all the barrels if that. UBC does a lot more than just easy to clean barrel, or just dealing with copper fouling. Its a complete change in gun care all together.

Every new gun you get, apply UBC to it. Literally a couple of patches and done, clean, thats it! For those shooting numerous rounds like your machine guns, or toying around with a few pistols, or maybe those black powder guns, it is truly amazing! But for even those guns one may use a few days out of the year to go hunt, the maintenance is well worth it!

If there are other products like UBC out there, by all means go for it. I know about UBC cause I use it and sell it. That is why I am going to check out Tecrolan. I see the value in these kind of products! Check out www.ExtremeGunCare.com, We Clean Your Guns!
This sounds very interesting. I am aware of lapping new barrels, but have a couple questions about this product, if you please.

I have a couple of older rifles that I don't know the status on.

Question 1: can a well used rifle benefit from treatment and will treating a second time (perhaps from a different treatment, lapping, etc.) hurt anything?

Question 2: I have worked up some very accurate loads, does the treatment change the ballistics of the barrel so I will need to work up new loads or will they still be good?

Thanks,
Brig

Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #7

Hi Brig,

My name is Jason with www.ExtremeGunCare.com. Great questions...

For Question 1.
A barrel that has been treated by another product can be cleaned and have Ultra Bore Coat applied to it. We suggest using like JB Non-Embedding Bore Compound to clean the barrel. Make sure there is no built up of copper fillings, lead, etc. In doing such a rigorousness cleaning, it should even take care of the first treatment. Once the barrel has been prepped, degrease the barrel and apply the Ultra Bore Coat (explained on www.ExtremeGunCare.com) the Ultra Bore Coat will be as if there was no prior treatment. We do suggest firing 10+ rounds in a rapid fire to cure the coat.

For Question 2.
Ultra Bore Coat puts a .25 Micron barrier between the bullet and bare steel barrel. This Micron barrier works on all metals, in-case you have a chrome lined barrel. Ultra Bore Coat will not make a barrel be any more accurate than what it was prior. What Ultra Bore Coat will do is make the barrel cleaner, no copper filling build-up, no lead build-up so you can stay as accurate as the first shot.

A good example is Black Powder. Normally you can shoot a Black Powder gun a few times and everything goes south quickly, accuracy lacks and hard to reload it. With Ultra Bore Coat, you can get 20+ shots before noticing the lack of accuracy and need to swipe the barrel three times and your clean as if you just started shooting.

PS no you shouldn't have to work up new loads just because you added Ultra Bore Coat. But fine tuning one's load pending various conditions is always a mind boggler lol.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ubc

Hello all, just logged back in after 1 year to see what has changed about opinions on Ultra Bore Coat. Last year I posted about my rifle that just plain fouled up real quick and accuracy suffered. I was advised to lap it, junk it, use Billy Tubs bullets etc. I had already used the Tubs system and it did improve the barrel so as I indicated, I got the UBC stuff.
This hunting season I fired my rifle many more times then usual, got a nice 200lb. buck, and maintained accuracy throughout the season. I am cleaning the rifle now and I can tell the difference right away because it is remarkably smoother. Yes, it is copper fouled. But it is wiping right out with patches and Shooters Choice. I know, I know, Sweets 7.62, Hoppe's BR, etc, etc, is better. Spare me the lecture about your favorite because you sell it. They are all ammonia basically and I have tried almost all of them.
Bottom line, I am cleaning the barrel completely out and scrubbing it out with polish again and this will be the final time. I will recoat it with UBC and put up with the fouling that occurs after that. It will go in all my rifles after this.
Oh yeah, the accuracy thing. I indicated last year this gun is one of the rare ones. I sat down at the end of the season with a test load and the barrel dirty and lightly copper fouled and put 3 shots into about 1 1/4 at 200 yds. I had a decent rest, a 10 power scope, and my shooting skills are not what they were, but all the bullets touched the 1 in. center bull. This is a change because last year accuracy suffered after about 15 shots. I fired at least 25 before turning in the 200 yd. group this year.
I am a carpenter not a gun dealer/smith. Just a hunter so I don't sell it.

Alvah

Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I like the claim that removing a very tiny bit of metal from a barrel is a bad idea but adding stuff to the barrel is a great idea. It is all hookem if you ask me. What exactly is in this wonder product anyways? There is a lot of heat and pressure in a rifle barrel so I am not too keen on putting slick 50 in my barrel sorry.

Also the comment about not having to change your loads. Are you crazy you just changed the barrel you changed the diameter you should work up new loads just to be on the safe side. Just like if you switch from a CCI primer to a Remington primer. This is peoples lives you are playing with.

Nothing you put in a factory barrel is going to fix the problems in them. I don't care if it is a Ruger, Remington or Howa barrel. They are all nasty in side. Please see the video below. It is of a factory Remington 700 barrel vs a quality Lilja barrel.

If you take care of your barrel and clean regularly you don't need all this snake oil crap anyways. If it has copper fouling then use a copper solvent.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fouling

Good one. In last years post I explained that I have done things to this barrel that would make most of you experts cry. I cleaned it so much it should be ruined. I used metal polish with a cut off cleaning rod on an electric drill, using a patch over a bronze and then stainless brush. I bought the Outers Foul Out system to get it out eventually. I have not been able to ruin this barrel. I suggest you go find someone with this kind of fouling problem and go ahead and try to get it out with your favorite copper solvent. My barrel had visible copper after as few as 5 shots. It took over a week of daily cleaning with abrasives and solvent to get it out.
The guy that writes for American Rifleman, John Barshness, is the only guy I have read that details the same problems I encountered. If you have never had this kind of barrel, you don't understand the problem, and many would just give up and rebarrel or sell it. As for UBC, don't knock it until you've tried it and found it wanting. Before that you have no experience to base your opinion on. Oh, the SLick 50 thing. A good friend that became a Master Sargeant in the Air Force and maintained jets for a living told me that he will not run an engine without it. Hmmm, I don't have any experience to doubt him, do you?

Until next year,
Alvah