Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > The Ultimate Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
people fix up old cars all of the time for the thrill of the 'doing', not to increase their value. I see a project like this in those terms - the guy wanted to do the build, that was the reward. If you just go buy a brand new Ruger American out of the box, yes it is going to be more accurate but you don't have an interesting project to do over the winter either.........
I know a guy who fixes up old cars for a living. Yes, there are people who throw money away fixing up old cars. This guy did brake jobs and ran an alignment rack for 20+ years and sold old cars on the side. Now he has an indoor car lot in a pretty expensive strip mall where he sells his own cars and cars on consignment. He didn't get to that spot by losing money on old cars.

He got there by completing Chevelle's & Corvette's then selling them for $90k plus. This is why people lose money on old cars, you have to restore the car to 100% original condition to make a profit. If you don't have a plan to complete the car right out of the box you are going to lose money.

Car collectors are like gun collectors, you have to have something they want for them to open their wallet.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #32

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Yeah, JD, these guys aren't fixing up these Mosins to

sell them for a profit, and they would be fools if they were.

They are just keeping and shooting them, that's all.

And you are absolutely right, I see very respectable

Weatherbys all the time, for less than these guys spend

on a Mosin.

These guys have pet reloads, and also buy top grade

7.62X54R brass to reload. The challenge, to them, is to

make a Fiat or Chevette of the gun world run like a Maserati

of the gun world.

We've all seen people take a hopelessly worthless car, and spend

10 times what it's worth, just to run it. Same thing with

these 91/30 builds.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20938 Times on 11895 Posts
Likes Given: 52509

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I know a guy who fixes up old cars for a living. Yes, there are people who throw money away fixing up old cars. This guy did brake jobs and ran an alignment rack for 20+ years and sold old cars on the side. Now he has an indoor car lot in a pretty expensive strip mall where he sells his own cars and cars on consignment. He didn't get to that spot by losing money on old cars.

He got there by completing Chevelle's & Corvette's then selling them for $90k plus. This is why people lose money on old cars, you have to restore the car to 100% original condition to make a profit. If you don't have a plan to complete the car right out of the box you are going to lose money.

Car collectors are like gun collectors, you have to have something they want for them to open their wallet.
sometimes, some people like to live outside the box, rather than confined by the box. if everyone did the same, liked the same, and acted the same, it would be one boring place. not everything in life has to be about money or making a profit. some of us actually like to enjoy life rather than just existing from day to day and sometimes we do spend money knowing we are probably not going to recover the money we spent if we do decide to sell. i don't buy guns to turn them for a profit. most of mine are for my enjoyment or have a specific purpose for which they were bought for. i am not a gun collector, but a gun enthuiast.

you don't have to such a stick in the mud all the time. and no one is telling you have to spend three times what a Mosin is worth if you don't want to. but you really don't need to keep bashing others for doing what pleases them.
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #34

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My Mosin looks similar to this one. The scope mount is a typical scope mount for the Mosin. It fits on the rear sight. You just have to remove the ladder part of the rear sight. I have a 1933 91/30. It has the hexagon reciever and is more rare to find. imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1396452306.758107.jpg
This is similar to what mine will look like except I have a different muzzle brake and waiting to get my duracoat done. These rifles can shoot a mile easily

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Clearly you've never spent any time in Thailand or the Phillippines.
Me love you long time...

Two and half months in dry dock in Subic,
we were the only ship in port!
And I was newly divorced...
The Bar Fine was $300 for the month.

Damn it was fun!

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Last edited by Shade; 04-02-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 860

It's the 2nd, April Truth Day. I can't lie to you.

All your Mosins are ridiculous. Wait til I put my Finn back together with a scope. Pictures of the shock and awe will be duly posted. This month.