The Ultimate Mosin Nagant - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > The Ultimate Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
It never amazes me what people will do to a rifle. Once again,you couldn't give me a truck load of these old relics.
I'm just not a fan of the Mosin!
That's all good. I take mine out quite frequently. I love shooting 6" pumpkins in the early winter w/ a 180gr out of my 91/30 PU. Shows the true potential. You can put them at 400 yards, result is the same. Don't underestimate what you don't really know about. JMHO. Better have everyone cut up their 1903's and K98's also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #22

Liked 2484 Times on 1420 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
many times and many of us are guilty of it, that we put more money into something than it's worth, simply because we view it as a labor of love. realistically, we know we will never recoup the money and time we have in if we sell, but will do it anyways.

if i were to sell my Savage 17 hmr rifle for what i have invested in it, i would have to sell if for well over $650 to recoup my money. i know no one in his right mind and knows about guns is going to pay that amount for my rifle.
IMHO, it's a type of project, where you have to realize, from the start,

that you will never resell the rifle at the value of it's parts. I met a gentleman

at a range a couple years ago with a Mosin much like this one. He also

had a bull barrel upon it. It was an accurate shooter, in the extreme.

He was passionate about the build. He even gave me a couple PPU

cartridges to try. I'm sure I'm not the only one he's given some

free ammo to. I don't think he was worried about getting dollar

value back out of the build. He was simply challenged to make an

extremely accurate Mosin.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1578 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

that you will never resell the rifle at the value of it's parts. I met a gentleman

I fail to see how a bunch of "tactical" stuff is going to make the Mosin Nagant any more accurate or efficient than a Mosin Nagant in the plain brown wrapper. Everything that one can reasonably do to increase the accuracy of a 91/30 can be done with the plain wood stock.

A neighbor has a M44 with a scope, after market stock, all the bells and whistles. For some reason he is still hunting with a 243 handi rifle that has a scope mounted on it with a hose clamp. He claims he has no ammo for the M44. I have called him numerous times when I ordered ammo for my rifle. He never gets any ammo for the rifle. I finally came to the conclusion that he doesn't want any ammo for the M44. It is a wall hanger and that is all the M44 will ever be.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #24

Liked 2484 Times on 1420 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I fail to see how a bunch of "tactical" stuff is going to make the Mosin Nagant any more accurate or efficient than a Mosin Nagant in the plain brown wrapper. Everything that one can reasonably do to increase the accuracy of a 91/30 can be done with the plain wood stock.
A muzzle break, well designed adjustable polymer stock, Timney trigger,

high quality scope, and mount are hardly "tactical".

I would respectfully submit that these all have an effect upon

accuracy.

As to the M44, some folks like it, some don't. So what?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

thank you Wolf for understanding what i understood.

Quote:

A neighbor has a M44 with a scope, after market stock, all the bells and whistles. For some reason he is still hunting with a 243 handi rifle that has a scope mounted on it with a hose clamp. He claims he has no ammo for the M44. I have called him numerous times when I ordered ammo for my rifle. He never gets any ammo for the rifle. I finally came to the conclusion that he doesn't want any ammo for the M44. It is a wall hanger and that is all the M44 will ever be.
JD, i fully understand i can go and buy a modern bolt action rifle that for half the amount of money spent that would be far more accurate than this old war horse probably ever would be. it's rather obvious that you only view guns in like some view cars, a way to get from Point A to point B, a tool and nothing more. some of us view them as more and the money spent, is money we know if we did sell would never be recovered. we enjoy the time and the challenges of a project. this was lost on you the moment you first read the article to begin with. it's something that if by this stage of your life, you don't understand, or can't comprehend, you probably never will.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Quote:

Truth is, it's a bear to shoot. It was only issued for guard duty. I got mine apparently unfired, and eventually sold it. Now I am working on a Finn Mosin, to see what it can do with modern glass and everything else original.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1578 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
A muzzle break, well designed adjustable polymer stock, Timney trigger,

high quality scope, and mount are hardly "tactical".

I would respectfully submit that these all have an effect upon

accuracy.

As to the M44, some folks like it, some don't. So what?
I did nothing to my 91/30 but clean it up, shim out the barrel and find some good ammo for it. It is as accurate as a rifle can get with open sights. I never considered a scope for it. I have a hard enough time keeping a scope on zero with weaver mounts. I really have my doubts that a scope will hold zero with any of the mounts I have seen. Yes, I have seen people shoot sub moa groups on youtube with a 91/30. I could have bought a nice Weatherby Mark IV for what they had in a 91/30 with a dubious scope mount.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-24-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #28

Liked 2489 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 2396

[QUOTE=John_Deer;1537313]I fail to see how a bunch of "tactical" stuff is going to make the Mosin Nagant any more accurate or efficient than a Mosin Nagant in the plain brown wrapper. Everything that one can reasonably do to increase the accuracy of a 91/30 can be done with the plain wood stock.

QUOTE]

Who wants to live life with just a plain brown wrapper? Let's all drive black cars with plain steel wheels. Let's all wear the same clothes. God forbid anybody should do something different.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #29

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I think it's beautiful

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 389

people fix up old cars all of the time for the thrill of the 'doing', not to increase their value. I see a project like this in those terms - the guy wanted to do the build, that was the reward. If you just go buy a brand new Ruger American out of the box, yes it is going to be more accurate but you don't have an interesting project to do over the winter either.........

People Like This