Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   The Ultimate Mosin Nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ultimate-mosin-nagant-105252/)

Threetango 03-19-2014 09:28 PM

The Ultimate Mosin Nagant

Interesting project build.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/03/jeremy-s/project-build-ultimate-mosin-nagant/

Franklin1995 03-20-2014 12:22 AM

That's not even a Mosin anymore! Pretty interesting scope mount though :)

therewolf 03-20-2014 12:41 AM

Sooo-600+ dollars in order to use a 100$ M/N action in a

custom build. JMHO, but the barrels don't handle the heat

well enough to justify the project. IME, the cold shot is

always the best from these rifles, with accuracy deteriorating

as the barrel continues to heat.

For starters, I like the challenge of accurately shooting my

Mosins in their original form.

But, if I were to expend 600$+ on a project of this magnitude,

I would add the cost of a bull barrel to the mix...

jpattersonnh 03-20-2014 11:35 PM

I read this just after 3Tango posted it. I thought that some of it was interesting, so I waited to reply and really thought about it. There is a great deal of interest in the Ruger Scout. He made a similar rifle for almost 1/2 as much. In my eyes the Ruger looks like a Spanish FR8 nock off. There are some wildcats in Europe that are based on the M91..7.62x64r that would be really interesting, but again, the correct type of barrel would be needed. I like the sight, but it seems better suited to a CQ carbine. One of the biggest issues w/ standard 91/30's and their offspring is ammo. The 147..152gr light ball does suck as far as accuracy, but it was never intended to be anything more then a 300 yard minute of man round. Take that same rifle and put a 180gr heavy ball round through it and it starts to shine. Yugo M30(J) is as good as it gets for surplus ammo. It is designed to be accurate and deadly. It is dead on no matter what the range in my 1942 PU. Standard light ball is 8"+ groups at 400 yards while M30 is 4".

therewolf 03-21-2014 03:35 AM

I shot myself (figuratively speaking) in the foot recently. I got a VEPR,

thinking I would burn thru some reloadable 7.62 X 54R brass quickly,

for reloading. Turns out the action dents the crap out of the shells.

I have to agree 180 grain rounds will be much more accurate.

Axxe55 03-21-2014 06:45 AM

i thought it to be a rather interesting article and enjoyed it. i thought the rifle was quite well done, but might have done a couple of things a little differently, such as going with a scope instead andalos going to a turned down bolt handle. but overall, a very nice and tasteful customization of a Mosin rifle.

John_Deer 03-21-2014 04:39 PM

When the 91/30 was developed it was designed to shoot a 200 gr plus projectile. 147 gr milsurp ammo was designed for suppression fire.

I am reasonably sure the author didn't spend a penny out of his pocket to build that rifle. No one in their right mind is going to spend $600 to build a rifle that is worth $175 or less.

vincent 03-21-2014 05:05 PM

I like it! Who cares about dumping $600 into a $150 rifle? To each his own...

If people followed that example, no old cars would ever get restored...

How many times have you seen a classic car for sale for half of what the owner has in it? All the time...

John_Deer 03-21-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 1535906)

How many times have you seen a classic car for sale for half of what the owner has in it? All the time...

They also say a fool and his money are soon parted.

Axxe55 03-21-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 1535906)

many times and many of us are guilty of it, that we put more money into something than it's worth, simply because we view it as a labor of love. realistically, we know we will never recoup the money and time we have in if we sell, but will do it anyways.

if i were to sell my Savage 17 hmr rifle for what i have invested in it, i would have to sell if for well over $650 to recoup my money. i know no one in his right mind and knows about guns is going to pay that amount for my rifle.