U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1898
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1898

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1898

I am trying to find a little info on this rifle. I believe it is a 30-40 Krag and an early 1900's gun 1905 or older. It was given to me by an older friend who didn't know much about it either. From a little research these things can be worth a pretty penny or not depending on condition and if it has been modified. I don't know if I should lock it away because it might be worth something or if it has been cut up and modified and I should be out shooting it and not worry about value. To me it seems complete except it is missing it's butt plate. Anyway does anyone know anything about these?

I can take more pics if anyone needs them. Thanks for any help.

093.jpg   091.jpg   092.jpg   img_20120703_172846.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Looks like you are missing some wood and some furniture- this will give you an idea of what parts- http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11893

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the link. It does look like I am missing some wood and the front piece of metal. The only reason I question it is because the way the front of my stock is cut it does not look like it was modified unless maybe it had a whole new stock put on at some point. I could definitely be wrong and probably am. My thought is if it is not worth all that much I may try and build a nice hunting rifle out of it.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I bought a krag just like this a few years ago for $200. Once I found out how much ammo was I sold it. They first gun shop I took it to told me how it was worth almost nothing because of the cut stock and unoriginal sights. I took it to gander mt after that and they paid me $500 for it. They had no clue it wasn't original. Lol.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't have anything invested in it except about 15 minutes of cleaning and a ten minute drive. I will probably never sell it since I don't sell any of my guns but I am interested in redoing it as a hunting rifle but I will be totally molesting it and don't want to ruin a good gun. So I guess I just want to be 100% sure before I go to town on it.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

If it hasnt been drilled and tapped for a scope please dont.... Ive wanted a Krag for some time but I cant seem to find one that hasnt been scoped. If you want a hunting rifle there are plenty of others that would be easier and cheaper than a krag..

Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have plenty of Hunting rifles and no it is not driller. It has been in an attic for at least 50 years untouched. So you saying i should just hang this thing on a wall like it is?

Is there any way of confirming this is not the original stock or if it has been cut?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

My 1898 the stock went almost to the front sight and it had the cleaning rod in it which almost went to the muzzle. I kept the original and put a Fajen custom stock on it. Sold it to a partner for his dad. Miss it now.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
I have plenty of Hunting rifles and no it is not driller. It has been in an attic for at least 50 years untouched. So you saying i should just hang this thing on a wall like it is?

Is there any way of confirming this is not the original stock or if it has been cut?
Feel free to shoot it, just dont alter it anymore.. You may be able to find another stock or just another forearm for it, might be able to splice a forearm from a cheap damaged stock or another cut down one... (Ive heard that parade Krags were cut down at the butt of the stock)

I think the Krag is one of the neatest old mil-surps!!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #10

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Someone really put the time in to modify the stock correctly. The Schnabel forestock is awesome. They are just sexy!!!

Must have been an old Norwegian that did yours.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 07-16-2012 at 09:17 PM.