Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Type 99 Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Check out the attached pictures. I don't think the stock is how it was made. Am I missing wood on this rifle? Is this what they call "spotorised"? Was it cut short, or are there other pieces that would make this more like the Type 99's I see in regular circulation?

Any ideas where I can get a new stock, if advisable?

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7580 Times on 3301 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Name:  Arisaka_Type_99.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  11.3 KB

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=1206

Yes been "bubbacized". The photo and link to schematic may help a bit. original stocks in short supply- sorry.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks. That helps. Any other ideas on where I could get a stock?

Is this gun basically worthless in its current condition? In other words, if I start messing with it, am I destroying value?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7580 Times on 3301 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Well, there good news, and bad.

First, the good. See that funny circle stamped above the chamber? That is the Imperial Chrysanthemem- symbol of the Emperor. When war ended, rifles that were surrendered had that ground off to prevent shaming the Emperor. Usually having an intact mum indicates weapon captured in combat- and desirable to a collector.

Now the bad news- stocks are scarce. You have some searching ahead of you. Google is your friend. If the rifle is RESTORED to original config, it has some value as a collector's item. As it, it has some value as a shooter or as a parts gun. Would check ebay, craigslist, and post a note on gunauction.com, gunbroker.com, and gunsamerica.com. Also look for an active Arisaka or milsurp forum to check for parts.

Before I did anything, would probably get a smith to check what caliber the rifle is in. Due to shortage of 7.7mm ammo, many were converted to 30-06.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Liked 617 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 581

A few things to consider before restoration... Matching number guns and guns with the "Mum" are slightly more collectible... Matching rifles without a mum, are more desired than mismatched gun with the mum... Do you know if all the numbers match? It doesnt seem to be hacked up too bad, just the stock, replace the upper handguard, Rear stock band, and bayonet lug...

If it is mumed and matching I would restore it... You will have to buy the "right" parts though, Arisaka collectors are picky SOB's and can tell the difference between a Nagoya stock and Koukra one...

Check out this fourm.. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun

The members really know their stuff, and dont mind helping out.... Many will sell you the parts you need, for little very money, there more interested in the rifle than making a profit off its parts...

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #6

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Make sure and check it for explosives. LOL