Two savages
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Two savages

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

One is a model 110, someone installed sling swivel studs off center like a bubba, then removed them so it now has empty off center holes, is missing the front sight, has a rail type scope base mount front and rear of the receiver, other than age it looks to be in good condition mechanically. (it just looks old, with dings and scratches and worn finish).

The other I'm told is a model 12, but wasn't able to find any markings anywhere, except the make. Much nicer than the 110 but the mount bases have been removed, iron sights are intact, stock in much better condition, sling swivel studs are properly located, and had such an intriguing barrel contour, about 1/3 of the way from receiver to muzzle is a fat ring around the barrel, not added on, but is part of the barrel contour. It also has seen some wear, they look like they could have belonged to the same owner at one point in time, but the second one is in better shape over all, and also appears to be mechanically sound.

The 110 is $250 and the supposed model 12 is $265. Both are in .30-06, which is also something that leads me to believe they could have been owned by the same person.

I'm not really in the market for a new bolt rifle, and hoping to lay my hands on my grandfather's model 70, but I can't help thinking about it.

Opinions? Good buy or no? Which is the better buy? Would replacing the sight on the 110 be worth it?

Use would be general purpose hunting (white tail), ranges likely to be 200 yards max or much less if hunting in brush, most likely to be used with iron sights. One big consideration is that I don't know if I will be hunting enough to justify it, this year so far I've only gotten in 5 days of hunting.

Last edited by trip286; 12-07-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

On the older 110, F series, the front blade did not come w/ the rifle. My old FFL had 2, 1 .30-06 and the other 7mm Rem Mag. Niether had a front sight blade. He had purchased both new and had never fired them. He was looking for $250.00 for the 7mm before he died. He had sold the .30-06. The front sight blade is less then $10.00. SIGHT, FRONT - Brownells

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2541 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Trip,

Hopefully the ring around the Savage Model 12 is not a result of a bullet being in the bore when another one was fired! You can inspect the barrel visually with a light and then take a good cleaning rod and patch to it. If the barrel does have a swell in it the patch will be good and snug until it gets to that area and then it will be looser. I do not remember any factory contour ring on the outside of that Model of Savage 1/3 of the way between the chamber and the muzzle? There are some Savage Rifle experts here on the FTF that may correct me or advise! The only thought, that any individual that was careless enough to miss drill sling swivel studs wouldn't surprise me to be careless enough be negligent and careless when reloading and shoot a second round with a first bullet stuck in the bore. Maybe putting my foot in my mouth, but it reminds me of a saying a dear friend of mine left me with before dying of cancer three years ago. He would say, "That Guy was about as sharp as the leading edge of a Bowling Ball"! Seems like this is the case with these poor weapons! Hope it turns out I am wrong on my thoughts!
God Bless old Gordy!
And good luck to you on this issue!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

03 is correct. There is no barrel that has a bulge That I know of.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #5

Oh no its definitely not a bulge. Its a very large ring that is obviously part of the contour and the stock is inletted for it.

I also forgot to mention the "12" logs to have started out as a pain wooden stock and then served as a home checkering project, but ask that would easily be sanded out.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2541 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Trip

NOW THAT IS GOOD NEWS! If the stock is inleted for that ring you are good to go! And we are certainly happy for you! Just have never noticed one with the ring! Send some pics of it if you can for educational purposes! Is it kind of like the Ring on the Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Rifle?

Thanks 03

Last edited by Sniper03; 12-08-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Trip

NOW THAT IS GOOD NEWS! If the stock is inleted for that ring you are good to go! And we are certainly happy for you! Just have never noticed one with the ring! Send some pics of it if you can for educational purposes!

Thanks 03
Even if I don't buy either one, I'll swing by there tomorrow and take some shots of it, of course only if they'll allow it. I'll just say its for a local friend who might be interested in it.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Trip,As far as I know,The Savage model 12/112 has always been a 26" heavy barreled varmint/target rifle and the barrel would have no provisions for any sights.
If my memory serves me correct,Savage did make a barrel that had a "Bulge" in it back in the 60's or early 70's.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Trip,As far as I know,The Savage model 12/112 has always been a 26" heavy barreled varmint/target rifle and the barrel would have no provisions for any sights.
If my memory serves me correct,Savage did make a barrel that had a "Bulge" in it back in the 60's or early 70's.
Well I don't know for sure if it is a 12 or 112, and this rifle does look old as dirt. If nothing else this is a mystery we can solve! Now where the heck is that stoner and his great dane?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #10

Here we go. At first glance the other day, I forgot the fact that this ring is where the rear sight is mounted. And because I was in a hurry and I'm am absentminded individual, I didn't think about noting the exact markings on the rifle. I also took a shot of the front sight and the rear of the receiver. Lets hope the pic quality is decent...

forumrunner_20111208_150501.jpg

forumrunner_20111208_150521.jpg

forumrunner_20111208_150537.jpg

It appears the last pic isn't as good as I was hoping it would be... I was trying to get a good shot of the safety, its a sliding tang type.