Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Turning a cali complaint AR-15 into a regular AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Turning a cali complaint AR-15 into a regular AR-15

Hello everyone,

I had purchased an M&P 15 sport during Christmas and ended up ordering the cali complaint version due to low stock of the standard version. I had thought the only difference would be the mag size witch is an easy fix (just buy a larger mag), but I was wrong, In Cali not only do they have a 10 round mag limit but they also require that your mag release be swapped out for a bullet release (A bullet release requires you to stick the head of your bullet or a thin object into the whole on the mag release to remove the mag). I did not know this when in purchased the rifle and at first thought my mag was just stuck in the rifle. When I figured out what was wrong I called my local gun smith who was an idiot and told me I cannot switch out the bullet release and would have to replace my entire lower receiver. Before I took the plunge and purchase a new lower receiver I decided to give S&W a call and the gunsmith told me that was ridiculous. He told me all you need to do is drill out the current bullet release and purchase a mag release and simply screw it in. So in short I ended up fixing the issue for $20 as appose to $300. My rifle is now a standard AR-15 sport.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here