Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System opinions?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System opinions?

I'm getting close to finishing my LR308 and wondering about proper barrel break-in for max accuracy potential. I've searched and read several threads regarding barrel break-in proceedures, but I haven't seen any mention of this barrel lapping system.

So, I'm looking for opinions on the process, cost vs. results, anything you guys have to say about break-in.

BTW, it's a 24" stainless bull barrel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Proper barrel break in is to just go slow. Heat is what kills barrels.

If you find that your accuracy is crap, the Tubbs FF are a good, cheap fix. But in gas guns the abrasives can cause action wear.

Ask Krieger about barrel break in and they will tell you they post instructions on their website because people expect it.

If you get acceptable accuracy out of the box, just keep shooting with regular cleaning.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The tubbs system is not for breakingin the barrel it is more of a last resort for a bad barrel. I wouldn't put them down my barrel unless it was shooting 6" groups and I didn't have the funds to rebarrel the gun. That is just me YMMV....

If you have a good high quality barrel you really don't need to break it in.

Some will sy shot one and clean for 5 round then shoot 5 rounds and clean for 15 then shoot 10 and clean.

I say just shot the thing and be done with it. My ar shoots like a dream and there was NO barrel break in done on it. When I say dream I am talking about nice tiny groups. My remington also shoots like a dream with NO barrel break in done. I shoot them and I clean them.

Here are some groups.

AR-15 first trip to the range.

Remington

Last edited by cpttango30; 12-05-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks tango. I'll stick with a "normal" break in and save the Tubbs system as a last resort.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The tubbs system is not for breakingin the barrel it is more of a last resort for a bad barrel. I wouldn't put them down my barrel unless it was shooting 6" groups and I didn't have the funds to rebarrel the gun. That is just me YMMV....
[/IMG]
I have used the Tubb's system,and it does work.And worked great.
If you have problems with fouling,copper fouling,or inconsistent groups,then the Tubb's works great on helping to cure the problems that some barrels have from the factory.

Unless you are having problems with your barrel,you shouldn't need to use the Tubb's Final Finish in your LR308.
I would just shoot and clean for the first 10 rounds,shoot a group and clean again.Just don't get it too hot,and you should be good to go.