Trying to decide, help with lever actions. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Trying to decide, help with lever actions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I would say that it took me some time to justify buying a 4570 Marlin Guide Gun but it did not take long for It to be the most used gun in my collection.

Maybe I am wiser than I used to be and no longer take shots at distances I used to consider or maybe my eyes are not as young as they used to be but the 4570 fits my ability quite well. You can load it from very tame all the way up to knock you on the ground. Personally I like recoil and currently are using some Buffalo Bore shells that are quite hot. Another of the many things I like about the 4570 is I know I have enough gun to kill anything I can see. There is nothing on the planet that is safe from the 4570 as long as it is loaded hot enough. The ammunition is a bit pricey compared to the other calibers mentioned but I dare say none of them are quite as fun to shoot.

Enjoy your decision and let us know how it shoots when you get it.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #22

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You don't need any body here to tell you to buy another rifle. Want another rifle, buy it. Need something thin and short with a lower cost that more than fill your needs it would be a H&R single shot in what ever cartidge floats your boat. My 44 mag h&r my family uses is pushing a revolver load of 240gr sp at 1986fps. more than enough for 150yard shot. Slower powder at a max load might go over 2000fps.

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-23-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #23

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm torn. Not sure what to get yet. The single shot h&r is a serious thought. My wife would probably kills me if I bought a $500+ rifle right now. And as much as I want a 45-70, it's probably not the right time to get one right now. After christmas I will figure it out. Maybe Wednesday I will come home with a new gun.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I have a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 and love it. My handload launches a 340 gr hard case bullet at 2100 fps. I doubt there is an animal in North America that could stop this bullet.

I like the Marlin 336, but I enjoy shooting cast bullets and the micro-grooved barrel is not the best for this. I would like a Winchester, even a newer Ranger model would be fine.
As far as the pistol caliber carbines, my vote would be for the .44. The .41 mag Marlins are out of sight expensive, when you can find them.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

most of what marlin is producing today is ballard type rifling not microgroove. the 1895 in 45-70 uses ballard rifling

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #26
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdan View Post
I'm torn. Not sure what to get yet. The single shot h&r is a serious thought. My wife would probably kills me if I bought a $500+ rifle right now. And as much as I want a 45-70, it's probably not the right time to get one right now. After christmas I will figure it out. Maybe Wednesday I will come home with a new gun.
I learned long ago, buy what you want, even if it IS a couple hundred over budget.

But when i buy, i dont buy to sell, i buy to keep and use forever, then hand to sons or daughter and they to their kids and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 and love it. My handload launches a 340 gr hard case bullet at 2100 fps. I doubt there is an animal in North America that could stop this bullet.

I like the Marlin 336, but I enjoy shooting cast bullets and the micro-grooved barrel is not the best for this. I would like a Winchester, even a newer Ranger model would be fine.
As far as the pistol caliber carbines, my vote would be for the .44. The .41 mag Marlins are out of sight expensive, when you can find them.
MAN!!!! You just hadda bring up the .41...i have a had a fetish for a wheel gun and lever gun in .41 for MANY a year! Gonna scratch that itch with the .44 mags (considering i am already set up and loading a wicked load for 'em) but i still dream of the 41 mag!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #27

Liked 381 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 4

45/70 for deer? A little over the top IMHO. My personal deer rifle's a Winchester lever action carbine in .44mag. Not a lot of long shots here in Michigan, so the Winchester's plenty of gun.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
most of what marlin is producing today is ballard type rifling not microgroove. the 1895 in 45-70 uses ballard rifling
True, but I have not seen a 336 with Ballard rifling in 30 years. My 45-70 is Ballard. Many of the pistol caliber rifles are Ballard now.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #29

Well after a lot of deliberation I finally went to my lgs and put a deposit down on a rifle. They didn't have a gun in stock, but said they could try to special order me one. I decided to go with the Marlin 1894 44 mag. I had thought about the Rossi but the difference in price wasn't that big of a deal and I'm hoping Marlin figured out their quality issues. I was very tempted to go with the 45-70 they had on the shelf, but decided it wasn't the direction I wanted to go in. Hopefully it comes in.

Dan

Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #30

Just an update. After calling marlin to get an idea of how long I was going to wait,I decided to cancel the order and order a Rossi 92 357. It was about $120 cheaper but I didn't care about price. The distributor had them in stock. So after I should have it in a month or so after I finish the layaway. Slightly disappointed but I will get over it quickly when I start shooting.