Trying decide on a .223 bolt action
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Trying decide on a .223 bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Default Trying decide on a .223 bolt action

Hello everyone.. So I been doing lots of research and looking at reviews.. I am trying to decide on best .223 bolt action for my use..

I am not looking spend more than $700 on the rifle if can help it.. It's going to be used for target shooting.. I don't plan to be shooting past 100 yards as the range a member of only goes out to 100 yards.. 1 moa or better at the yards out of the box(not needing change stocks and crap to achieve that)..

Here are the rifles that have narrowed it down to..

T/C Venture Predator, like the box mag, 1 MOA guarantee at 100 yards.. Though wish had a heavy barrel but of course it made for hunting more than target shooting..

Remington 700, I have been looking at a few different models like the ADL Varmint, SPS Varmint and Tactical.. Though just hearing they having a recall again on all their triggers and not sure if that effect a new rifle if bought one in near future?.

The last one considering is the Mossberg MVP.. I like the fact it takes AR mags since already have a AR.. I just have heard some mixed things about it.. Some really good and some not so good.. So unsure if good choice or not..

I apologize for long post.. I just wanted to give anyone reading this idea what I am looking for from the rifle and what ones I am looking at in particular.. If you own/have owned any of the rifles listed please give me your experiences with them... Good or bad would love hear them.. I am open to other suggestions also..

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6361 Times on 3374 Posts
Likes Given: 470

i havent heard of any substantive negatives on the mvp. in fact its the only 556 bolt gun i know of. almost all other 223 bolt guns are 1-12 twist making them poor choices for target work. one of the best target bullets is the 69grain sierra matchking and that bullet simply will not work well in a 1-12 twist.

i have not owned a mvp in 556 as im completely uninterested in a bolt gun chambered for that round. if i was going to get one it would be the mvp.

purely my opinion take it or leave it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3278 Times on 2256 Posts
Likes Given: 1611

All 3 are good choices. Go with a varmint version, whichever rifle you choose, it is practically synonymous with long range target shooting.

The MVP is a little clunky in operation. A 30-round AR mag may interfere with your shooting position (needs a tall rest).

The T/C has the slickest bolt operation, better finish, and also detachable mags. This would be my choice.

The Remy has probably the strongest action. They tend to be "overbuilt" for the caliber. Most have internal mags which may be a plus, depending on your habits.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
All 3 are good choices. Go with a varmint version, whichever rifle you choose, it is practically synonymous with long range target shooting.

The MVP is a little clunky in operation. A 30-round AR mag may interfere with your shooting position (needs a tall rest).

The T/C has the slickest bolt operation, better finish, and also detachable mags. This would be my choice.

The Remy has probably the strongest action. They tend to be "overbuilt" for the caliber. Most have internal mags which may be a plus, depending on your habits.
Thank you.. The T/C is probably one leaning towards.. I am just worried about the recent recall again with the 700's.. I don't know if it effects a new one or not.. The last thing want is buy a new gun that needs to be sent back..

Old 12-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'd be sure to look it up on the Remington web site. Most such recalls are over minor issues that do not affect the overall quality. T/C also had a recall a little while back, probably fixed by now, but check it out just in case.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 740

I have the MVP in the 20" tapered barrel. I use 10 round AR mags. It has a 1:9 twist and with good ammo it is sub moa. Milspec is not good ammo although I have been surprised with a couple of batches. The MVP comes in several barrel weights and a couple of stock configurations. Savage also has a 1:9 twist but is 223 not 5.56x45. My SIL sold his Rem 700 with 1:12 after I bought the grandson a Savage and it out shot his Rem.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Jason27 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2014, 02:32 AM   #7

I am looking at and considering this Savage.. It has everything I want.. I would replace the scope with a Vortex likely but otherwise then that looks like a solid rifle that shoot well..

Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The Accutrigger is a big plus for targets. The stock is upgradeable if you want a no-drop stock for precision shooting.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 AM   #9
hmh

Liked 163 Times on 113 Posts

I would also look at the ruger american. I also like the Nikon .223 scope. Me personally am looking at the mvp thunder ranch.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #10

I have heard good things about the Ruger americans and have considered it.. I just wanted to go with something a bit nicer and has a bit more stuff to make it better for my main use of target shooting without breaking the bank of course haha.. The Ruger is built mainly to be a hunting rifle.. I do own a ruger american rimfire compact in .22lr.. Real nice little rifle.. The savage posted above seems have everything looking for like heavy barrel and accu trigger a bonus for me because personally really like that on my 2 model 93's own..

It's a hard decision.. I wish could just buy them all and not have think about it but sadly can't haha..