Trouble sighting in .308
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Trouble sighting in .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trouble sighting in .308

I have a Weatherby .308 Vangaurd sub-moa with a nikon monarch scope and I have had problems the past couple times I've gone out shooting to keep it anywhere remotely on target. I checked the scope it's tight I've clean the gun thoroughly and checked for and slag and spurred metal and I found nothing I re-bore sighted it and still nothing. Please help me out any ideas will be taken and used.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #2

Could there be something wrong w/ the scope? Is it possible the scope was dropped or damaged in some way that does not seem apparent by visual inspection? I put a used scope on my Ruger #1 single shot recently that I got off the bay really cheap from some old guy who said he has used it for over 20 years and it still works great. Anyway, it would not hold adjustment at all. I could somehow get it to shoot pretty much dead on and the the next shot would be six inches off. I replaced the scope w/ a new one and my first three shot group was 3/4". Now I know why the guy was selling it.
cottontop

Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It sounds like a stock bedding problem. You should check to see if the barrel is moving in its channel. The rear tang screw may be too tight or too loose. I would try putting a business card under the barrel about 2"s below the front end of the stock. These rifles often need to be beded by a gun snith. Fire the rifle at 25 yards and move to 50 yards you should be able to see the shift in the POI.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTC323 View Post
I have a Weatherby .308 Vangaurd sub-moa with a nikon monarch scope and I have had problems the past couple times I've gone out shooting to keep it anywhere remotely on target. I checked the scope it's tight I've clean the gun thoroughly and checked for and slag and spurred metal and I found nothing I re-bore sighted it and still nothing. Please help me out any ideas will be taken and used.
Couple questions...at what range did you zero the scope? What ranges are you shooting? Did you lap the scope rings, level it, level the rings? How does the gun shoot with open or iron sights if that's an option? Is it grouping off-POA or is it random POI? And...how well do you shoot similar distance with another gun and scope?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 02-20-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #5

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I had the same problem with my 17hmr all it turned out to be was the scope we would get it zero'd then take it out the next day make a slight change and boom it would be hitting just everywhere. Put an old 3-9 we had sitting in the closet and not it's dead on. Check and make sure that everything on the gun is screwed down tight and then if you still have the problem try a different scope, while sighting it shoot off a good rest like a table or even prone also make sure your resting the gun on something soft never shoot your gun off of a hard surface.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Couple questions...at what range did you zero the scope? What ranges are you shooting? Did you lap the scope rings, level it, level the rings? How does the gun shoot with open or iron sights if that's an option? Is it grouping off-POA or is it random POI? And...how well do you shoot similar distance with another gun and scope?
The scope was bore sighted at 50 yards then I tried shooting at both 50 and 100 yards. This gun was already sighted in before so the scope has been leveled and it has shot a good group before. I used my browning 30-06 at 200 yrds and put 15 shots with in a 2.5 in group. I'm gonna pull off the scope and redo the entire thing. Take off bases and see where that gets me and I have never dropped my gun or scope so unless someone else has and hasn't told me i don't thibk it's damaged. Thanks guys keep the post coming.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

It really helps to have a torque driver when putting a rifle back together. I use a wheeler inch pound torque driver. They are a good mix between price and performance.

Mounting base screws i do at 25 inch lbs

Screws to put the rings on the base 55 inch pounds

Ring screws 25 inch pounds

Action screws i start at 50 inch pounds. If that doesnt cut it i bump it up 5 or lower it 5.

I always use blue locktite on scope and action screws. Rockset for muzzle devices.

Its very important to torque everything with similar settings. The actual poundage isnt as important as everything in one connection series being the same. If all four of your base screws are different torques it can cause issues. Same is true of ring bases rings and action screws.

What will get you in trouble is grabbing a driver and guessing. It can easily warp or distort threads. Im going through that issue now with my savage rifle. Savage is infamous for overtorquing and buggering threads up. Pretty much everything that has threads in my savage 10 fcp-sr that has threads is buggered up right from the factory.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-20-2012 at 12:32 PM.