Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Trigger suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trigger suggestions.

I own Savage 30-.06 bolt-action rifle. I bought this rifle prior to Savage developing and releasing their 2-stage trigger, the AccuTrigger, that now comes standard with their rifles. The trigger that came with my rifle is rather rigid, so much to the point that is effects precision. I know that for sure I want a two-stage trigger for my rifle, but I was wondering if I should go for the AccuTrigger. If you know of a better trigger setup, please let me know. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Don't know if I have seen you around previously, so Welcome to the Forum.

As for triggers, it's one of the key, essential components to an accurate rifle platform.

If you don't want to take your rifle into a qualified 'smith and have then do up a trigger job for you, here are a couple of choices that are easy to adjust and are drop in for most rifles.

Rifle Basix is a current favorite around the shop. I have two of them and love them. Great company. Good customer service and a really good product. Good price for most applications.

Timney makes really good triggers as well, especially for field guns. They are a little more pricey than the Rifle Basix stuff, but Timney has a good name in the industry and their triggers can be tuned up sweet.

Jewell makes a great trigger that everyone goes ga-ga over, but it's not a field trigger. It's a delicate benchrest style trigger and it's one hell of a trigger at that. Can be easily tuned down to 2 ounces without much effort - but again, not what I would recommend on a field gun.

Hope that helps -

JD

Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Don't know if I have seen you around previously, so Welcome to the Forum.

As for triggers, it's one of the key, essential components to an accurate rifle platform.

If you don't want to take your rifle into a qualified 'smith and have then do up a trigger job for you, here are a couple of choices that are easy to adjust and are drop in for most rifles.

Rifle Basix is a current favorite around the shop. I have two of them and love them. Great company. Good customer service and a really good product. Good price for most applications.

Timney makes really good triggers as well, especially for field guns. They are a little more pricey than the Rifle Basix stuff, but Timney has a good name in the industry and their triggers can be tuned up sweet.

Jewell makes a great trigger that everyone goes ga-ga over, but it's not a field trigger. It's a delicate benchrest style trigger and it's one hell of a trigger at that. Can be easily tuned down to 2 ounces without much effort - but again, not what I would recommend on a field gun.

Hope that helps -

JD
Thanks for the suggestions and the links. Is there any advantage to having a qualified gunsmith do a trigger job versus simply buying a drop-in system?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and the links. Is there any advantage to having a qualified gunsmith do a trigger job versus simply buying a drop-in system?
Since I work part time in a gun shop, I am forced to tell you yes... LOL

Honestly, it depends on what you are after for performance. With a quality 'smith, they can make subtle changes to a stock trigger and get you down to a real good weight without having to poney up for a new, fancy trigger.

I assume this is a hunting gun? So, you are looking to go somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5#? Maybe a little heavier if you are hiking in?

That kind of trigger pull is totally do able with a stock trigger, but you have to pay shop time. The benefit of a good shop trigger is: You should get a 5 pull average on a trigger pull guage that is within the spec you are looking for. You also get a safety test that someone else is insuring you that it won't go bang when you don't want it too. Very important if you have never done this sort of thing before. So, you have that going for you.

However, a trigger job isn't rocket science. Most have two or three levers that interact. Remove a little material here, a little there, add a little "secret" grease like solution and suddenly your trigger creep is gone and you have a nice, smooth trigger pull. You can safety check it yourself easy enough, and if you have a string/some fishing line and a couple of small, known weight sources, you can "make" a trigger pull "guage" without having to buy one.

Or, you buy one that is pre-tuned, drop it in, safety check it and be on your way. It all depends on what you are after.

In my opinion, based on what I have seen come through the shop in the better part of four years.

For a Benchrest gun - you need a Benchrest quality trigger. Preferably the best one you can get sense you are talking the utmost in accuracy. 2 ounces, possibly even with an electronic fire system so you don't have to touch the gun and risk a "flyer".

For a Sniper Rifle ( police / military ) - Yes, you need a good quality drop in trigger that can be tuned to your specs since you might only get that one shot.

For a civilian "tactical" rifle - A factory tuned trigger is fine, as is a drop in aftermarket.

For a hunting rifle - A tuned trigger is plenty good enough for field work.

But, that is based on what we see in the shop here. You mileage may vary.

JD

Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

LastMan,If you want an Accutrigger,call Kevin at Stockade Guns 308-432-5114. He will install a Accutrigger on a pre-Accutrigger gun for $50 and that includes the trigger. It is a deal that is hard to beat.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

For a field rifle I would go with a Timney I have one on my Remington 700 (Dillingers favorite rifle) and it is tuned down to 1.5#.

I am an odd person I will carry a rifle with a 2oz trigger in the field. that is just me. But many people are uncomfortable doing that and that is good. 2.5 to 3# is what I see a lot of guys running on hunting rigs.

So why waste the money on a Jewell if you are not going to use it all. Timney is #2 in my book then Rifle Basic then Shilen.

The Accutrigger is suposted to be a great trigger. I would look around and see if you see any for sale.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #7

Yeah, but you have to admit Tango, you have been around that rifle platform A LOT longer than a lot of these guys. Carrying a 2 ounce trigger in the field is common for you, but not RECOMMENDED for the average hunter who gets in the field twice a year ( once to zero and once to hunt ).

And a Remington? Ah geez - there goes the neighborhood....

JD

Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My one remington cannot go below 3# or else it is unsafe to load a round in the chamber as it may go off on closing the bolt.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
My one remington cannot go below 3# or else it is unsafe to load a round in the chamber as it may go off on closing the bolt.
Really? I honestly have never heard that before. You have the tuned Timney trigger in there, right?

Did you do the safety change out as well? I think with the Model 70 style safety you can take the bolt apart and get to the firing lin from from "neutral" but safe. That might make a difference....

Just thinking....

JD

Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's almost ridiculously easy to adjust/tune the factory trigger on Savage-same as Remington (even down to 1.5#-2# if so inclined) IF you know what you are doing. If you are fairly mechically inclined and decide to tackle the job yourself, pm or email me and I'll be glad to walk you thru it. Remember-no matter wether you adjust/tune factory trigger, or buy/install an aftermarket trigger-ALWAYS perform tests after ANY type of modfication to insure it's still safe (naturally an 2 oz trigger is going to fail these tests). Perform all following tests with completely EMPTY rifle.

Smack buttplate down against carpeted floor several times with action cocked but off safe.

pull trigger several times hard with action cocked and safety on, then move safety off.

Operate bolt fast and hard, slamming bolt into battery while off safe.

Smack side of stock at area of trigger with heel of hand several times with action cocked but safety off.

If striker releases (fires on empty chamber) AT ALL-EVEN 1 TIME-with any above tests, it's unsafe and needs to be adjusted for more sear engagement. meaning deeper engagement between trigger/sear, or sear/striker.
Or increased pull weight. This may include sear or trigger return spring.

Also I honestly believe you'd like an properly tuned/adjusted single stage trigger than an 2 stage trigger. "standard" single stage triggers have much less movement than 2 stage triggers do.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 12-26-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: addition