Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   trigger reset problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/trigger-reset-problem-43840/)

tpojeff 06-14-2011 06:26 AM

ar15 trigger reset possible issue

Ok, this is a hypothetical question, but if you had a trigger that was stock, besides different springs on an ar15 lower and you did a function test like this...

1. pull charging handle and select fire
2. pull trigger and hold, fires normally
3. release tension and reset is normal
4. pull trigger again and fires normally

But what if you alter your grip on the pistol grip and push finger to were the trigger rests past your large joint between your large index joint and knuckle, hold firmly, and do a function test, only this happens?

1. pull charging handle and select fire
2. pull trigger and hold, fires normally
3. release tension and right as the trigger resets it fires again
4. release trigger and pull trigger again and fires normally

It functions normally as any other trigger on a semi auto would, but could "bump" fire by altering your grip.

anyone?
ps this is hypothetical.

JonM 06-14-2011 12:19 PM

Personally i would replace all the internals with a new set. That is a malfunctioning assembly. It can lead to a negligent discharge injuring yourself or someone else.

You can spend the time diagnosing each part but internals for an ar15 are cheap enough to just replace them all

tpojeff 06-15-2011 05:27 AM

ok cool. thanks for the input, any other opinions are also welcome.

hbomb 06-19-2011 05:48 AM

I'm gunna agree with JonM. it sounds like your sear isn't engaging all the way.

Jpyle 06-19-2011 06:38 AM

Gotta agree with the others...any gun that "doubles" is potentially dangerous. Hypothetically speaking of course, another consideration, if I recall correctly, is that under a strict interpretation of the NFA you are in possession of a machine gun.:eek: Yes, even a damaged gun that fires more than once with a single trigger pull is a machine gun even if there are no auto parts installed...be careful and get it fixed ASAP.

tpojeff 06-20-2011 05:21 PM

Thanks guys. This was just a hypothetical question by the way. I was just wondering if you had a trigger that would bump fire if you used a locked/altered grip, would that be illegal. My thinking was that since the trigger was fully cycling for every round that was fired that it would not be illegal. But seems like its such a grey area. anywho thanks for the advice.

JonM 06-20-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 525538)
Yes, even a damaged gun that fires more than once with a single trigger pull is a machine gun even if there are no auto parts installed...be careful and get it fixed ASAP.

this is correct. there is currently a milwaukee man sitting in the federal pen for doing just that.

while bump firing is technically legal you gotta ask yourself "do i want to fight it out in court trying prove to a jury comprised of 12 people too stupid to think of an excuse to get out of it that it isnt illegal??"

bump firing trigger activators all that stuff is not worth the hassle. if you want to spend time in court, help the folks out trying to get ronald reagan's 1986 gun ban repealed.