Tried Swapping Barrels on my Savage - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Tried Swapping Barrels on my Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Sigh. Yet another term I'm lacking on; What is controlled feeding?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
bolt action Mauser type feeding system. captures the round when it picks if up from the magazine, controlling it through feeding, firing and ejection. once it picks up the round, you can hold the rifle upside down and the round won't fall out.

on actions like a Remington M700 and the Savages, the round is merely pushed from the magazine into the chamber and isn't captured until the bolt is closed which brings our via the extractor then ejects it.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
It means it has an extractor that grips the round while its being fed into the chamber and retains positive control as its extracted until the rim hits the ejector. Drawback is in some designs it is difficult to single feed reliably. Control feeds don't jam under normal conditions and operation.

Push feed means it pushes the round into the chamber and has no control over what the round is doing until the bolt is locked in place. Jams can happen with this design but its easy to single feed.

Anyone serious about hunting dangerous game and likes to live uses control round feed rifles. They pretty much eliminate jams caused by stress and the fumbling when repeat shots on charging animals like buffalo lions rhino elephant are needed. No sane person hunts dangerous game with push feed rifles.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
bradam Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 384

Default Yes indeed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
actually i was going to suggest you check out the Savage rifles but TXhillbilly beat me to it! both of those rifles he posted pictures of i have seen in person and they are very, very nice rifles. they look much better in person and Hillbilly is pretty danged knowledgeable about those Savage rifles. now don't get me wrong, i still like the Remington M700's and always will, but i have to say, the Savage rifles are a great rifle platform and very accurate. they are much less reliant upon lathes and special tools like the M700's if building one from scratch. if you decided on going the Savage route instead of the Remington, i seriously doubt you will be disappointed in the least with the build or the accuracy.

if you decide to go with building a Savage, pick Hillbilly's brain as he knows them much better than i do. he is the person here i would defer to on building the Savages. he won't steer you wrong for sure.
I sent Mr. Hillbilly a pm. After reading about the savages from you, him and a couple others, I spent several hours on the Innerweb. Being able to work as you say "less reliant upon lathes and special tools" was the selling point. ( I have enough ar tools) My friend the Remingtion man will have lost a customer. I sill need to do a lot of homework, but being retired does have its benefits. Caliber of choice will be somewhere between 260 and 308. Thanks for the push
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
I sent Mr. Hillbilly a pm. After reading about the savages from you, him and a couple others, I spent several hours on the Innerweb. Being able to work as you say "less reliant upon lathes and special tools" was the selling point. ( I have enough ar tools) My friend the Remingtion man will have lost a customer. I sill need to do a lot of homework, but being retired does have its benefits. Caliber of choice will be somewhere between 260 and 308. Thanks for the push
like i said, don't get me wrong as i still like the M700's, but compared to the Savages as far as building them, the M700's are much more labor intensive and in need of special tools than the Savages. i think it's pretty cool that a person can build a Savage at home with a few tools and some time and make a very accurate and reliable rifle.

i wish you luck and look forward to seeing what you decide to build. another nice feature of the Savages, is with a few barrels you can have many different calibers and change them out yourself at home.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #26

homework first, shopping second. Thanks again
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #27

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
like i said, don't get me wrong as i still like the M700's, but compared to the Savages as far as building them, the M700's are much more labor intensive and in need of special tools than the Savages. i think it's pretty cool that a person can build a Savage at home with a few tools and some time and make a very accurate and reliable rifle.

i wish you luck and look forward to seeing what you decide to build. another nice feature of the Savages, is with a few barrels you can have many different calibers and change them out yourself at home.
I can think of about 10,000 things I'd rather attempt than changing out a Rem 700 barrel! Included in the list:

- clean the toilet with my bare hands
- walk thru broken glass
- listen to "It Takes A Village" on cd, narrated by HRC

wait. scratch #3. I would rather submit to torture than do that. Come to think of it, that WOULD be torture!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I can think of about 10,000 things I'd rather attempt than changing out a Rem 700 barrel! Included in the list:

- clean the toilet with my bare hands
- walk thru broken glass
- listen to "It Takes A Village" on cd, narrated by HRC

wait. scratch #3. I would rather submit to torture than do that. Come to think of it, that WOULD be torture!
well nothing like cleaning a toilet with your bare hands!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 AM   #29

Default true story (part of )

Quote:
well nothing like cleaning a toilet with your bare hands!
I recieved office hours while in the U.S.M.C. SSGT decide to let me spend two hours in the mens head with a toothbrush.