Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Triangular Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Triangular Barrel

To some of you this may be old news as it came out in 2008, but I just saw something about it. It's the Remington 700 VTR, this thing has a triangular barrel. As far as I know(in my limited knowledge of firearms), this is the only one with a triangular barrel, but I could be wrong. I'm not planning on getting one or anything, just curious about it. Anyone know any pros/cons for it? the only advantage I can see is that it has more surface area that a round barrel, so it's gonna cool faster. Anything about it I'm missing?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

It's not new. Check out the picture in my signature. I have had that barrel since 2002 on my .308.

Has a top, 2 sided muzzle break that keeps the gas from venting down, and into any grass or dirt, and keeps the muzzle on target.

I don't personally believe the light weight barrel is as accurate as a heavy barrel would be.

Remington is jumping onboard a platform that has been out for years.

Why?

I have no idea.... *shrug*

JD

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What's next? A triangular bore? Wasn't there something in the 70's that shot electrically discharged triangular bullets called "trounds"or some such nonsense?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Trounds were plastic cartridges with a roughly triangular cross section, but a round hole in the center that held the round bullet. Made for the Dardick automatic revolver, I have one .22 Tround and one .38 Tround. They use a standard small pistol primer.

HOWEVER- going back to 1872- Mr. Otto Schneeloch (no, I did NOT make this up) patented the .307 Schneelock revolver. The cartridge is triangular in cross section, and is fired thru a triangular bore, which turns as you go up the barrel. Imagine cutting an orange in half, and note how the sections fit together- like triangles. Same principle with Otto's revolver.

My nominee for top 10 weird guns of all time, and #1 weird name.

Boy, does THIS post give spellcheck a workout!

PS- for all that are certain that old C3 is pulling their leg again, here is the US patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=s0BHAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=134442&source=gb s_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-01-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't know if the triangular barrel is really any better, but I like the way it looks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #6

Remington's triangular barrel is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. A triangular barrel actually reduces the cooling area which in turn does not dissipate heat as well as a round or round fluted barrel, and more importantly, makes the barrel less rigid.

If it's a cool factor thing than I guess it looks different, but functionally it's a step backwards.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 10-01-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Trounds were plastic cartridges with a roughly triangular cross section, but a round hole in the center that held the round bullet.
I remember reading about these as a way for the weapon to cycle faster somehow, but it never made 100% sense to me.
Dardick tround - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia