Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Totally Lost on Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Totally Lost on Rifles

Hello,

New member here. Relatively new to firearms. I grew up in suburban NJ, so I didn't have exposure to target shooting or hunting outside of BoyScout camp. I consider the 2nd amendment one of the most important (that's why it's #2) rights of an American. I would even venture to say that it is good civic behavior to be responsible and comfortable with firearms.

I currently live in the great state of VA. I purchased my first pistol 2 years ago, a Sig 226 in 9mm. I love shooting it when I have the time to hit up the range. Now I'd like to purchase a rifle, but I'm not well informed. I'm thinking of taking an NRA approved basic rifle course at the local IWLA.

Being that I'm a newbie, what would you recommend? Cost is not the biggest issue. I want something that is high quality and will last for generations. I'd mostly use it for target shooting, but it definitely needs to be SHTF approved. That is, I want something:
1) in a common (NATO) caliber (556 or 762)
2) common model or compatible/modular for parts

My early research leads me to something like an M1A or AR-15. FYI, I purchased my pistol on the web (gunbroker) due to the huge savings. However, rifles seem to have a lot more customization options/accessories, so I'm not sure if I should go to the local store and establish a relationship, or shop online again.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

AR-15's have gotten crazy expensive and very hard to find. This will likely not abate for several months (that is if the new administration does not pursue a new assault weapon ban). There is much speculation and panic buying going on now. A decent AR-15 like Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag etc will fill your bill. IMHO the only accessories you need right away is ammo and a few spare mags. Once you have fired 500+ rounds, then you may want to "upgrade" and accessorize.

M1-A's are always a bit more difficult to find with only one company turning them out in decent numbers (Springfield) and a couple of smaller companies making expensive custom versions.

A good bolt gun in .223 or .308 may be easier to find. As money is not a big issue, you can spend many $s on optics.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

M14SE Crazy Horse and MK14 SEI Rifles: Smith Enterprise, Inc.

The M14 platform is making a sizable comeback in military circles with good reason. It slings that venerable 7.62x51 NATO round and in updated form it is capable of delivering rounds accurately and lethally out past 800m.

I priced out a 2 ID spec'ed 18" Crazy Horse SDM at a little over $2800 before optics and without a suppressor.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhertz View Post
Hello, New member here. Relatively new to firearms. I grew up in suburban NJ, so I didn't have exposure to target shooting or hunting outside of BoyScout camp. I consider the 2nd amendment one of the most important (that's why it's #2) rights of an American. I would even venture to say that it is good civic behavior to be responsible and comfortable with firearms. I currently live in the great state of VA. I purchased my first pistol 2 years ago, a Sig 226 in 9mm. I love shooting it when I have the time to hit up the range. Now I'd like to purchase a rifle, but I'm not well informed. I'm thinking of taking an NRA approved basic rifle course at the local IWLA. Being that I'm a newbie, what would you recommend? Cost is not the biggest issue. I want something that is high quality and will last for generations. I'd mostly use it for target shooting, but it definitely needs to be SHTF approved. That is, I want something:
1) in a common (NATO) caliber (556 or 762)
2) common model or compatible/modular for parts

My early research leads me to something like an M1A or AR-15. FYI, I purchased my pistol on the web (gunbroker) due to the huge savings. However, rifles seem to have a lot more customization options/accessories, so I'm not sure if I should go to the local store and establish a relationship, or shop online again. Suggestions?Thanks!
killerhertz

God Bless The Boy Scouts!! (I was a scoutmaster for years.)

Congrats on your escape from NJ! I'm sure you would find anything South of the manson/nixon line to be far more gun friendly. The mob enjoys the gun control in both NJ & NY while the lib's take over just north of there.

As to the recommendations for a rifle, and with your $ not a real issue I'd look at the Colt M4 6920. A great start, and something you would keep forever.

However if you want to save a bunch-o-bucks, maintain accuracy, shoot cheaper ammo, have a ton-o-fun and access to any bling you may want to add, pick up an eastern block AK- oops, I mean a SUR-47 (The mandate here on the forum is to stop calling these rifles assault and start calling them what they really are, a sport utility rifle )

I got this Romey and dressed it up to the max including the optics, and don't even have 50% of the entry dues for the 6920. That's a sh1tload of ammo even at today's prices!

I'm a big believer in the savings on the web. Got the Romey at Bud's in Aug for $375. Yea, they are more now but so is everything!
You still need a good gun shop for smithing reasons but save the bucks and cut out the middle man. Find a gun you like and get on a list like I did at Bud's. They emailed me they got some in and I jumped. They sold everyone in the shipment before any went to the web site.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #5

What is a Romey?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzard View Post
What is a Romey?
A WASR-10 made in Romania

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #7

Thx. I am not real familiar with buying SUR's...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzard View Post
Thx. I am not real familiar with buying SUR's...
Well my friend - this is a great place to ask questions and learn from some very knowledgable and friendly folks. Other than canebrake, who may be clinically diagnosed with too much sun and Patrone.

JD

Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well my friend - this is a great place to ask questions and learn from some very knowledgable and friendly folks. Other than canebrake, who may be clinically diagnosed with too much sun and Patrone.

JD
Dude, where's my Bourbon?

- orangello

Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

This guy drank it all....

1035076571_skithedude.jpg