This torques me off a bit (barrel blemishes)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > This torques me off a bit (barrel blemishes)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 268
Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default This torques me off a bit (barrel blemishes)

Well, I get my Hi Point and naturally it looks brand new. I shoot it 10 times the first night I get it, and then another 20 the next day. A few days after that a friend and I put 170ish rounds through it, and at about 140 rounds that day, he was shooting and called me over.

The entire heat shield and front sight and fallen off. The manual (yes I read those things) never said anything about tightening down the front sight. Only saying I needed to add the circle on it if desired. But with no rear sight to line it up I didnt.

Anyways, it must have been factory loose or something. But either way, this is the damage








I have already ordered my ATI stock, and I am going to buy this muzzle compensator

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/48317-1.html

for it, to cover up most of the scratches. I know its only cosmetic, but I called them up anyways. I love how they are so willing to fix whatever it is. I figured it wasnt worth the cost of shipping since I wanted to buy something like this anyways so it would get covered up.

But anyways, it makes me mad. And since its down to bare metal on one side, I am wondering what should I do to cover it up? I was thinking black sharpie, but I want something to seal it just in case. I was thinking maybe this metallic black paint I have that is in a little touch up bottle for my old Honda? Should I do something else? Ideas please

__________________
ArrizX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sgtdeath66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 963
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Well, I get my Hi Point and naturally it looks brand new. I shoot it 10 times the first night I get it, and then another 20 the next day. A few days after that a friend and I put 170ish rounds through it, and at about 140 rounds that day, he was shooting and called me over.

The entire heat shield and front sight and fallen off. The manual (yes I read those things) never said anything about tightening down the front sight. Only saying I needed to add the circle on it if desired. But with no rear sight to line it up I didnt.

Anyways, it must have been factory loose or something. But either way, this is the damage








I have already ordered my ATI stock, and I am going to buy this muzzle compensator

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/48317-1.html

for it, to cover up most of the scratches. I know its only cosmetic, but I called them up anyways. I love how they are so willing to fix whatever it is. I figured it wasnt worth the cost of shipping since I wanted to buy something like this anyways so it would get covered up.

But anyways, it makes me mad. And since its down to bare metal on one side, I am wondering what should I do to cover it up? I was thinking black sharpie, but I want something to seal it just in case. I was thinking maybe this metallic black paint I have that is in a little touch up bottle for my old Honda? Should I do something else? Ideas please
personally i would but somekind of firearms finish like dura coat it will help on preventing rust aswell as corrosion from other chemicals
__________________

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli


He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson


"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

sgtdeath66 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 268
Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
personally i would but somekind of firearms finish like dura coat it will help on preventing rust aswell as corrosion from other chemicals
I do have a Birchwood Casey Ultra Blue, and I think an Ultrablack. But I'm not sure that this barrel is blued. It doesnt feel metal. It feels like a super hard rubber coating or something strange like that.

Is it still safe to use anyways? (im not totally sure about that barrel though, it might just be blued and i'm an idiot )
__________________
ArrizX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,527
Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Default

By the photos,it doesn't look like it was blued,but some kind of coating. If it was me,I would just sand it smooth and paint it with a quality high heat paint and be done with it. Sorry to see your new gun get roughed up. THB

__________________

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 268
Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
By the photos,it doesn't look like it was blued,but some kind of coating. If it was me,I would just sand it smooth and paint it with a quality high heat paint and be done with it. Sorry to see your new gun get roughed up. THB
Hey thats a great idea, I think I will try in a few days. Ill try to figure out what the barrel has on it. If its coated I will do that. If its blued ill use my blueing liquid. It doesnt make it look the same, however it should coat it and protect it just the same.
__________________
ArrizX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Send it back to them.

__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 268
Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Really? Will they accept it in pieces?

Because right now its just the barrel and the breech. I suppose I could because I have till Monday till I get the stock..

__________________
ArrizX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Really? Will they accept it in pieces?

Because right now its just the barrel and the breech. I suppose I could because I have till Monday till I get the stock..
Call them and see.
__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dunerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 8,481
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Definately send it back..Hi Point has a lifetime warranty, make them prove it!! Then let us know what happens!!

__________________

People get the government they deserve.

dunerunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 268
Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Ill package it up today since I am home sick. Ill ship it out tomorrow [only after calling them].

__________________
ArrizX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
barrel twist which one laynejc AR-15 Discussion 4 02-11-2009 10:54 PM
new sw 686 2 1/2 barrel accuracy Woodsman Revolver Handguns 5 02-07-2009 12:58 AM
New Barrel for a Rem 870 12 ga Jables General Shotgun Discussion 8 09-16-2008 02:19 PM
Best Barrel Length jeepcreep927 Ammunition & Reloading 5 08-22-2008 02:27 AM
Barrel break in??? dragunovsks AR-15 Discussion 9 07-03-2008 03:07 AM