Torn between a 7mm or 7mm-08 any suggestions? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Torn between a 7mm or 7mm-08 any suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Shot a 7mm-08 in a ruger compact, nice! Bought my wife a compact in 260 rem. The 7mm-08 will do anything that needs to be done at reasonable ranges with less noise recoil and cost.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #22

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
A brush gun doesn't refer to the ability of a bullet to go through brush. Bullets don't go through brush and stay on target so you should never even think about shooting through brush. A brush gun refers to how well a rifle works in the thick brush, and that means short and maneuverable with a cartridge that will drop game quick. You don't want to go trying to track something like a deer or a hog in thick brush.

A 7mm mag is not a brush gun. The barrels are longer on magnum calibers and the bullet is moving too fast at close range. That means they aren't very maneuverable or easy to carry in thick brush so it isn't going to handle well. It will also go clean through a deer and keep on going. That means a lot of the energy it has is never used on the deer. A 7mm-08 could make a great brush gun. You can get smaller rifles in that caliber and it's a really good general purpose cartridge.

30-30's are one of the best brush guns ever but that's in part because of the lever action rifles that 30-30's generally come in. Those lever action rifles are short, maneuverable, and offer fast follow up shots. They also come with good iron sights that can be a lot more useful in the thick brush than a scope. The caliber itself is also ideal because it hits hard at close range and most of the energy is expended on the animal. 35 Remington is also great and so is a 45/70 for the same reasons, but they more kick than a 30-30 and a 30-30 is more than enough for any whitetail with in 200 yards. A 30-30 is also easier to shoot off handed or in odd positions because it has less recoil, that to can come in handy in thick brush.
Although The '94 and .30-30 are considered a woods/Brush gun, it still falls short for me. The platform itself does not fit as it feels like a toy. Just too small to shoot comfortably. The .30-30 is not a 200 yard hunter either. The irons may be adequate for 100 yards, but after that they fall short as does the cartridge. At 150 yards it is borderline for Whitetail with even a 170gr. Although it replaced the .44-40, it only added 50 yards to the effective range for whitetail.
My idea of a brush/woods gun is a '96 action Mauser in 9.3x57. Very easy on the shoulder, Very accurate w/ Iron sights to 150 yards. It carries as more energy at 600 yards then a .30-30 does at 150 w/ less recoil. It is very expensive for factory ammo, but really cheap to reload for. With the cheapest bullet, a Speer 270gr it carries 2100fpe at 100 yards. This thing hits whitetail like a freight train. It is lights out! Mind you, this is no target gun, this is a pure hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
I myself am a big fan of the 7mm magnum, I have taken a lot of game with my Mauser 98 in various terrains, weather conditions, and distances, it has always served me well. I reload so I can stoke it for elk with Nosler Partitions or load it down with Sierra Game Kings for deer and prairie goats. It is expensive to shoot factory fodder but if you pick up some dies you have a lot of options and I heartily agree that shooting through brush is fool hearty at best, pick a good shot, and brush rifles to me, are the fast handling rifles,, I have a couple, but I always seem to grab the Mauser instead,, it just shoots so well,, the rifles you already own are in fine loads for a good deal of hunting situations,, but it's so much fun getting a new rifle though,, have fun.
I like 7mmRem Mag also, I'm also a big Mauser fan. I have had a bad experience w/ Nosler 140gr BT on a whitetail at about 75 yards. Hit a rib and the bullet exploded. The Deer went down, I cycled the action as always and about 20 seconds later, it stood up, put a second round into it. What a mess.
You just need more Mausers!! Slower and heavy has its' place.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Well, If you are looking to add a third deer rifle and want something that works well in thick brush, nothing beats the Marlin 336C lever action in 35 Rem. Plus Hornady puts out a 200gr 35 round if you feel you need it. I have had my Marlin 35 since about 1970 and taken many many deer (and Hogs) with it in the thick woods of Central Georgia. I use both the Hornady 200 grain and the Remington 150 grain.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

godale Likes This 
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #24

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you like the idea of a short lever gun, but still want a long action cartridge. Take a look at the browning BLR. My dad and I have both been hunting in fairly thick woods with them. As I said earlier. I went with the 7-08. My old man has it in 308. They make the gun in a ton of calibers including long action and magnum calibers. If you want it to be better suited for quick snap shots, throw a skinner peep sight on it and you are in business.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

If you want a LH bolt gun for heavy cover do as I did. I bought a 700 Remington LH youth model in 7-08 and put a spacer on the stock. 20 inch bbl, short, light in weight and recoil, about the same range as the 270 but hits harder. Put a 2x7 or 1.5x5 scope on it and you are set!!! It is the 'ideal' combination for deer in my humble opinion.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #26

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington1994 View Post
Right now I have a H&R 25-06 single shot and a Remington Remington model 700 .270 win. kind of want a good brush gun caliber thats why I was thinking 7mm. Someone told me a 45/70 would be a good brush gun.
First off, as some others have said NO cartridge will reliably and accurately shoot *through* bush. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

OTOH, a bush rifle is generally considered a short, handy rifle chambered for moderate range cartridges such as the .30-30. The Marlin and Winchester lever actions are considered the stereotypical bush guns and are very popular for deer hunting in heavily forested areas of the east.

The 7mm mag is the exact opposite of a bush gun. It's at its best in open country where shots of 400 yards or more are possible and is generally chambered in long barreled guns less suitable for dragging through heavy bush.

The 7mm-08 is a nice deer cartridge and due to its mild recoil is often chambered in light weight rifles well suited to carrying on rough, day long hunts. Perhaps a bit less handy than a traditional bush gun but with more potential range than the .30-30 or .35 often found in lever action carbines.

The .45-70 is an old cartridge originally designed for black powder. It remains relatively popular to this day and can be found I everything from massive handguns to handy lever actions to long barreled target rifles. It's a fairly flexible cartridge if you reload, and can be suitable for everything from deer to buffalo. Once again, though, it can't reliably shoot through brush.

Last edited by mdauben; 12-14-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

35 whelen with 200gr!

Old 12-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington1994 View Post
Savage has them in left handed?
YES !.........http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

And you can get it at Wal-Mart...............

When all else fails.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhelanLad View Post
35 whelen with 200gr!
My 35 Whelen likes the 225 Barnes, five shot average 2702 fps, and three shots at 100 yds right at an inch!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2991 Times on 1558 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
First off, as some others have said NO cartridge will reliably and accurately shoot *through* bush. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

OTOH, a bush rifle is generally considered a short, handy rifle chambered for moderate range cartridges such as the .30-30. The Marlin and Winchester lever actions are considered the stereotypical bush guns and are very popular for deer hunting in heavily forested areas of the east.

The 7mm mag is the exact opposite of a bush gun. It's at its best in open country where shots of 400 yards or more are possible and is generally chambered in long barreled guns less suitable for dragging through heavy bush.

The 7mm-08 is a nice deer cartridge and due to its mild recoil is often chambered in light weight rifles well suited to carrying on rough, day long hunts. Perhaps a bit less handy than a traditional bush gun but with more potential range than the .30-30 or .35 often found in lever action carbines.

The .45-70 is an old cartridge originally designed for black powder. It remains relatively popular to this day and can be found I everything from massive handguns to handy lever actions to long barreled target rifles. It's a fairly flexible cartridge if you reload, and can be suitable for everything from deer to buffalo. Once again, though, it can't reliably shoot through brush.
I recall an article in a gun rag about 20 years ago. Through controlled testing the author was able to show the .30-30 to be a very poor choice for "Brush busting". Oddly enough, the caliber that deflected the least was the last one you would expect, .223 55gr FMJBT

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball