Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Top 10 Battle Rifles of All Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Thanks JD, I am just kind of partial to the M-14 and M1 grand and maybe a little predigest toward them. Having shot these listed and with luck soon to be owning a Cetme I like the choices

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNUT1100 View Post
The Enfield is a far better rifle than many give it credit for. Selected examples were capable of outstanding accuracy in a sniper role, they are a very smooth and fast bolt action, and in the standard loadings were a very reliable rifle.
Often criticised for being rear lock, they were nevertheless an accurate and strong rifle, and still the main choice for service rifle competition in Australia today ( along with the Swedish Mauser) .

No criticism here. I have a No.1 Mk III SMLE made in Lithgow in 1943 and I put a fixed 4x scope on it. I can hit a gnat on a flies ass at 100yds. It's also the fastest and smoothest bolt action ever made, and with a 10rd. mag it was capable slinging more lead in a shorter time than any other bolt gun. In fact I read that it was capable of putting in excess of 40 aimed rounds downrange in under one minute. That made it the fastest bolt action rifle of WWI and WWII. It has no business being as accurate as it is - when I took the stocks off I was amazed to see how thin the barrel actually is - underneath all that wood it looks beefy..but it ain't. And it doesn't string shots when it gets hot.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-01-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I too, agree the Lee Enfield is an outstanding service rifle. The No.4 MkII Longbranch that i own is also extremely accurate and smooth, and another great one as carnut mentioned is the swedish mauser, i own both a M96 and M38 and i have nothing but praise for them, as i do with almost any mauser rifle. Mausers and Lee Enfields get my vote

Proud to be a Sporting Shooter.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 AM   #24

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

You know it is funny that not many of the jap WWII gun ever get mentioned in this stuff. I personaly believe if you were looking for a gun built ford tough then the type 99 would be it. Seen a guy try to blow one up but using a compressed (Heavily I might add) load of really fast burning powder. bolt was a little tough to open but she held together. before that he plugged the barrel buy driving a bullet in to the barrel with a hammer. Nothing not even a buldge.

Ugly is not a word for the rifle but stong as an ox on steroids it is.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #25

Being a novice compared to almost everybody else on these gun websites, and having no combat or LEO experience, just want to ask about things which I've read on the Internet and heard from a buddy, who is on the Navy (Reserve) Rifle Team, along with a few other people.
I only became interested in rifles last October (seldom used the old Savage .22 when young: a long time ago). Last winter I wanted some rugged, military-style carbines using lower-priced ammo (Wolf etc): got the MN 44, two used Minis (both main calibers) and an SKS. Will remain a middle-aged beginner for quite a while.

My reading and hearing about the AR-15's shortcomings has allowed some heretical or 'disturbing thoughts' to come to mind. I feel a bit unpatriotic when I bring up these questions about US-designed/produced weapons, being aware of how many troops were issued these for the last few decades..

From reading about Vietnam vets being found dead next to a 'broken down', partially disassembled M-16 (earlier powder used and less emphasis on cleaning?) just after combat, to the well-known capability of the AK or SKS to function under almost any situation, well this is my dilemma.

I asked my buddy on the Rifle Team one question last week: "If you were somehow in a dusty/dirty scenario and could not clean your rifle, would you choose your AR-15 or a Russian-designed gun?" "M." has never had combat training, although he trained at Quantico with handguns etc in order to fly the P-3 with Customs after his years as a Naval Aviator (IP and then fleet P-3 pilot), and is now a Marksman/Sharpshooter.
His answer: "Probably an AK-47".
Either the unconditional answer, or his frank response surprised me.
Also, both the ranking on previous pages here, along with the tv show on the History Channel about "The Top***** Weapons" etc are created by US citizens and a US Channel, many of whom are proud of their country's accomplishments, and tend to be "team players", especially with a military background. Being a guy who was never trained for, or involved in any firefight or LEO operations etc, I'm always wondering how a rifle can rank in the top ten if many were kept in plastic bags during Desert Storm as they traveled, so that soldiers would be able to rely on them for survival, or did I misunderstand the context? Let's totally exclude the eternal arguments about the 5.56 versus 7.62 rounds.

I've never had an AR-15/M-4 etc but don't understand how such a rifle can be so highly acclaimed when it might be very difficult to get it clean, if troops are running, kicking up dirt and debris, squatting in blowing sand etc. A young infantry veteran (16 months) of a recent Iraq deployment told me that their rifles would "jam with just one grain of sand", but maybe he exaggerated a good bit? I'm can not second-guess somebody who has been shot at etc.
My basic point is that if my son or another family member were sent to a combat zone, I would never want them sent with a specific type of weapon, unless they had total faith that it would always function (for hours without cleaning, windy or not)-at least as reliably as the enemys'.

Last edited by Laufer; 08-02-2008 at 04:03 AM.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRemmy View Post
I too, agree the Lee Enfield is an outstanding service rifle. The No.4 MkII Longbranch that i own is also extremely accurate and smooth, and another great one as carnut mentioned is the swedish mauser, i own both a M96 and M38 and i have nothing but praise for them, as i do with almost any mauser rifle. Mausers and Lee Enfields get my vote

+1 on the Swedish M-38. Mine is a Husqvarna which was in almost new condition - before I messed with it and sporterized it!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The list should more appropriately be entitled "Top 10 Combat Rifles of All Time". The AK-47, M16, AUG and Sturmgewehr are all ASSAULT rifles, and shouldn't even be on a list of BATTLE rifles.

The list is highly subjective, because different people use different criteria for determining "top" or "best". I'm not particularly impressed with their criteria, so I'll use my own.

I personally won't include any obsolete weapons, so all the bolt actions are gone. They were great in their time, but simply wouldn't cut the mustard as a primary rifle on 21st century battlefields.

M1 Garand was also great in its time, but also must go. That moves the M14 up in the top five where it belongs.

I really don't have a problem with the AK-47 being at #1. Let's face it, the AK is definitely the "energizer bunny" of modern combat rifles. It's certainly not the infallible, perfect "God Gun" that its more fervent fanboys make it out to be, but deserves very high marks for reliability and ruggedness.

It proved its worth in Viet Nam and various revolutions etc. around the world in the last several decades.

My top five combat rifles would probably be:

1. AK-47
2. M16
3. M14
4. FN FAL
5. G3

Considering battle rifles only, the M14 would be my #1.

Many people will vehemently disagree with my list, which is fine. I have no intention of debating something so subjective, at least not without first establishing a specific rating criteria that most here agree on.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 AM   #28

Top 10 Battle Rifles of All Time.
1. M1 Garand
2. Armalite M-16
3. AK-47
4. Mauser 98
5. SMLE
6. Kentucky Rifle
7. FN-FAL
8. H&K G-36
9. Winchester Lever Action