Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Took my Daughter shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Took my Daughter shooting

I took my 9 yo daughter on her first trip to the range today! We were shooting the .22 Marlin on the pistol side. We started out at about 10 yards, and she hit a bullseye within about 5 rounds! Not bad for the first time. After the first round we moved the target back to 25 yards and shot some more. She hit 2 more bullseyes before we left! She was real excited, kept telling the other shooters and the rangemaster how she shot better than Daddy. When we left she borrowed a pen to write her name on her target so "Daddy wouldn't take it"! I tell you what I was one proud papa! I was worried the noise would bother her, but after the first few reports, she didn't even notice! I might just have a new Annie Oakly on my hands!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That's awesome fl. It's always good to instruct the younger generation in the fine arts of the firearm.

I would say your daughter has a fine future ahead of her.

JD

Old 09-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That's awesome fl. It's always good to instruct the younger generation in the fine arts of the firearm.

I would say your daughter has a fine future ahead of her.

JD
Agreed but do your daughter and all of us a favor be more than a proud papa be a completely responsible one , this right here

Quote:
I was worried the noise would bother her, but after the first few reports, she didn't even notice!
Suggests that you didn't have adequate hearing protection for her young ears or yours for that matter .

I apologize if I'm wrong and actually hope I am but if not spend the $25 or so and get a couple of pairs of the Silenco muffs at Walmart they're only about $12 a pair and try to preserve everyones hearing for their entire lifetime . She wont be looking back fondly of those trips to the range with Dad if she's half deaf at 30 from all the noise .

Old 09-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We had ear and eye protection. It's still kind of loud when the range is full though. The first part of the trip was at home discussing safety, range rules, and respect for the rifle.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbandit View Post
I took my 9 yo daughter on her first trip to the range today! We were shooting the .22 Marlin on the pistol side. We started out at about 10 yards, and she hit a bullseye within about 5 rounds! Not bad for the first time. After the first round we moved the target back to 25 yards and shot some more. She hit 2 more bullseyes before we left! She was real excited, kept telling the other shooters and the rangemaster how she shot better than Daddy. When we left she borrowed a pen to write her name on her target so "Daddy wouldn't take it"! I tell you what I was one proud papa! I was worried the noise would bother her, but after the first few reports, she didn't even notice! I might just have a new Annie Oakly on my hands!
That's the perfect age to get them acclimated to shooting and learning all the safety rules. CONGRATS!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I recently did the same thing

Old 09-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That's awesome. I can't wait until my kids are old enough for me to take them to the range.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8422 Times on 3652 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Next to youngest grandmunchkin started shooting with me at age 10. Looking at moving her to an AR with a stock that can be adjusted to fit her- she is about at the practical limit and wants to shoot some of the LONG range stuff w/ Grandad, but is not yet big enuff for my 30 cal stuff.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put a Barrett 50 in her hands

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My 13 year old daughter has taken an interest in shooting this year. She is a natural and has demonstrated much greater innate ability than I ever did. She's a lefty (which is proving a bit inconvenient, when it comes to finding a target rifle for her). I mostly collect old military rifles and the only .22 I have is a Mossberg M44US. It's a great target rifle, but is much too big for her. She has also fired a few of the big boys. Here's a picture of her firing an original .577 caliber Enfield rifle-musket. The Mossberg is on the bench in the foreground.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov