Took a Look at my local shop - HELP!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Took a Look at my local shop - HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Took a Look at my local shop - HELP!

They had a CZ VZ 58 and compared to other AKs the thing is basically completely different.....granted it's 830 bucks for the thing....but I loved the feel and look of it....and as far as I know CZ is an underated brand of firearms but they are excellent.....and it was so TINY! Compared to the regular AKs which is a big plus for me.....but then I saw the next thing.

A pre 2005 model of a Ruger mini 14 with a side rail mount with scope rings on it.....for only 430 bucks.....I am tempted to get that thing because then it's a more economical .223 easier to maintain than an AR and hell it's already got a rail mount on it!

Can anyone say Red dot for me? Hahaha.....but I don't know yet.....CZ 58.....or the Ruger .223 for half of the CZ......I was told the CZ would probably pic up ALOT of value later on...but I don't know.

I'm thinking the Ruger because I already have an SKS...and if I get the Ruger I have a .223...so I have 2 of the Main ammo bases covered...the last being the .308....which they had a really nice (AND EXPENSIVE) PTR with a magpul stock and a high quality bipod on it......

BAH I hate having choices....I WANT THEM ALL lol.

Maybe people can clue me in on the good value of said weapons?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Regarding the CZ...depends on what you want. If you want the rugged reliability of an AK, go for it. But since you already have an SKS, that's a little redundant, isn't it?

As for the Ruger Mini-14, there have been some negative reports with regard to accuracy and reliability. Maybe that was just some older models. But for $200 more, you can score a pretty good AR platform.

The SKS fires a 7.62x39 and the Ruger fires a Remington .223. Personal feelings aside, ballistics tests show they are roughly on a par with one another.

Since you already have the SKS, I might suggest a larger caliber like a 7.62x54r so you can really reach out and touch someone. Get a Mosin Nagant (or an M1 Garand (.30-06) or an Enfield (.303)) and hold off on the CZ and Ruger.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #3

Brother already has a Mosin and while I like the garrand it's lost it's touch with me.

I'd go for an m1a over that and they are to Expensive.

The biggest round I'm going to go for is .308 and I'm going to buy a PTR (when I can afford the expensive mother trucker.)

And the AR-15 while it's a great rifle do not get me wrong....I do not want something like that where the reliability of it is through the crapper. It's a high matinence weapon and I don't like that in firearms. I want a reliable gun that will shoot every time as long as I put good ammo through it. m16 varients have to many problems to butter my bread.

I'll get an AK-47 and after that a Bushmaster ACR (if it turns out to be as good it's rumored) before I even consider an AR-15.

More likely than not I might just save up and pay 300 bucks less for the Saiga on Classic Arms for my Christmas Present to me lol (if they still have them by then)

And yes I have an SKS but it's a Yugo so it's more of a long gun variety. I need an assault rifle esque weapon for SHTF situations....the SKS is to bulky for that. An AK would just help me buy cheaper ammo since my SKS and AK would eat 7.62 x 39 up.

The Ruger mini-14 just seems more economical and you can modify it to be as accurate as an AR which was my plan if I bought it.
I would get one of those accustrut's and tapco fusion stock in Olive Drab (Since my favor color is teh green)

Last edited by JiroZero713; 11-04-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #4

Beware of the older Mini-14's. The thin walled barrels made for a pretty innaccurate (or more properly inconsistent). The brand new Minis have a thicker walled barrel which should help. I think someone makes an outer sleeve that stiffens the barrel up even more, but I'll have to get back to you on that.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
...I'd go for an m1a over that and they are to Expensive...

The .30 carbine has it's place in this world. It won't do much for long range use, but it can be quite intimidating at close range. Plus, I've seen a piece of bullet proof glass that was tested with numerous calibers. Many/most didn't penetrate, but the .30 carbine DID!!! Who would've thought?!?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 AM   #6

Don't get me wrong I love the M1 Carbine, I shot one...but those bastards shoot to high lol....I'd chose a garrand most of the time....but they are also to expensive today and the ammo is a bit expensive in that respect as well.

I've got a perfectly cool SKS that I'm happy with when it comes to battle rifles....cheaper too.

Beautiful gun...but ammo is getting expensive for it. Why buy a guy you can't afford the bullets for?

Also the mini-14 they had had 186 model number on it...not sure about that one it wasn't a ranch rifle.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #7

Had a mini-14 years ago. My son and I thought it might be good gun for him at the time. The thing was either inaccurate as h*ll or "inconsistant" as h*ll, you pick.

We looked into what it would take to correct the problems (bull barrel was just one required fix). We figured out pretty quickly that we would be into the gun about $2,500 by the time we had a decently accurate (not a tack driver) rifle. At that point, my son figured he could get a nice custom rifle out of the deal, instead of the ranch rifle and the whole project got dropped.

If you can't consistantly hit what you are aiming at, then original cost and cheapness of ammo is moot.

I have AK's, M1A's, AR's and M1 Carbines. Each has its own niche. Accept that simple fact and life becomes much easier.

Hopefully the new mini-14's have been improved. I'd definately have to shoot it before I'd buy it.

Seein' is believin'........

Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

CZ- 58 is a nice rifle but I would only consider one if I already had several AK's and wanted something "Different". Magazines are different than the AK and could become hard to find.

Mini-14 is a sorry excuse for a rifle (IMHO). I have owned 3 and could not hit the broad side of a barn, from inside the barn. Newer ones are supposed to be more accurate but at a cost premium.

AR-15's are not unreliable or high maintenance. They do tend to get dirty but they shoot just fine when dirty. They do give problems when they get dry. If you experience fouling related malfunctions, oil the bolt carrier group and it will shoot just fine. They do not malf because of fouling, they malfunction because they are lacking lubricant.

I use dry lube on my AR's so they do not collect the fouling and do not malf because of fouling because the fouling has nothing to stick to.

PTR. Now we are talking! Save up the bucks and get a good HK clone if you cannot afford a real HK. Mags are cheap and plentiful (get the alloy mags).

I like my AR's and AK's but I love my HK and my CETME. Those are BATTLE RIFLES.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
...I like my AR's and AK's but I love my HK and my CETME. Those are BATTLE RIFLES.
Why did you have to rub it in?!? I've been wanting a CETME for a while now. Hopefully I will get one before the supply runs out and price starts jumping. Just wish .308 wasn't fifty to sixty cents per round...

Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #10

You won't need that much ammo. One round will take a man out for good.

But eh You can get a gas tube like thing for the Mini that goes right on there that makes it good. I mean either way. I hate the AR really....I'll own one EVENTUALLY....but the first AR type rifle I get is the Bushmaster ACR.....if it even gets released....(Election day...oh ****)