Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Tikka T3 vs TC Venture (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/tikka-t3-vs-tc-venture-48032/)

ChicagoJoe 09-09-2011 07:31 PM

Tikka T3 vs TC Venture

Has anyone fired both a Tikka T3 synthetic lightweight and TC Venture, and can provide a comparison? I handled them both and they seem very similar - synthetic stock with integrated trigger guard, removable plastic box magazine, two position safety mounted on the receiver, smooth action, free floating barrel, light crisp triggers etc. They even look and feel similar and are priced about the same.

Txhillbilly 09-10-2011 02:36 AM

Both brands are known for their out of the box accurracy.Either one would be a nice rifle.

jsj127 09-10-2011 06:40 AM

I have both rifles although my tikka is not the lightweight mine is stainless with laminate stock. My take on the two rifles:
Trigger- slight edge to the tikka. The venture trigger isn't bad though.
Accuracy- this is a draw because both are dang accurate.
Weight- the tikka with synthetic stock is lighter than the venture. So if looking
at harder kicking guns would probably go with the venture but the
Lightweight tikka is a dream to carry.
Bolt- goes to the tikka. It's like melted butter. The only gun I've had that came
close to being that smooth is my A-bolt. But I'm thinking the venture
has a 60 degree lift where the tikka is 70.
Action- this goes to the venture because you can get the venture with a short
action. With the tikka they all use a long action. The short action
calibers have a stop in the back of the magazine.
Magazine- this is a drawback to a lot of people but both are plastic. I've never
had trouble with either of mine. But a replacement tikka mag is in
$50-$60 range. I don't know about the venture replacements.
Recoil pad- this goes to the venture. It's a lot better than the factory tikka but
limbsaver makes one that fits the tikka.
That's about all I can think of offhand. Either will make a fine hunting rifle. Just know that it's not like Remington or savage, there is no aftermarket for either of these guns but I haven't needed it. These are hunting rifles.
I like both of these rifles but it comes down to what you like. I do think enough of them both that I gave my dad a tikka and my youngest son a venture.
Oh and plusses for the venture- American made, Thompson usually has a $50 rebate this time of year and two piece scope bases for a round action savage fit it.

ChicagoJoe 09-10-2011 11:00 PM

JSJ, thanks for the summary. Based on handling the two rifles I saw the contest as a draw. Based on your input I would buy the TC because it is made in the states.

jsj127 09-11-2011 04:57 PM

Hope it helped. That's just my take on the two. I've had my tikka for 5 years and the first thompson for 2. I've been pleased with both.

nmoyer 09-11-2011 05:47 PM

TC Venture

The TC Venture is a very smooth gun at a great price point. As mentioned, they have a $50 rebate until the end of the year.

Can't go wrong with an American made rifle backed by a life time warranty!