Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > tikka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1816 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Good Post JP!

I think were some get into a real problems no matter whether a 308/30-06/ 7MM Rem Mag. or what ever. As JP stated some of the 30-06 rounds have more recoil than our 7 MM Rem Mags. Some start with improper procedures with the rifle to begin with. For example, the person who may really be fairly new to the sport, shooting, specific rifle caliber, or hunting goes and buys a new rifle for themselves. Does not correctly mount the hardware and scope on it which haunts him or her later after attempting to zero and needing to start all over again. Then they do not properly bore sight the rifle first or starts off the first shots at 100 yards not at a closer range for example 25 yards, or whatever to get some rough adjustments prior to moving back. Subsequently they end up not even hitting the target or backer at 100 Yards. "Like Where The H--L Did It Go! What am I saying. They are experiencing undue recoil at that point. Now they are frustrated and continue to shoot and shoot out of frustration and experience undue recoil and waste valuable ammunition. They end up shooting 10 then 20 and maybe even 30 rounds in order to get their zero if they do. Shoulder tender, flinching and the bad habit that just developed. And then want to blame the rifle and tell how bad it recoils. Oh don't forget scope bite! When you get tired, frustrated and not thinking clearly is when it normally happens. Some of us have seen this scenario time and time again. And admittedly some of us have experienced similar situations particularly when we first began before we got instantly became smarter old dogs. So pay attention to the lesson in point. Learn from the old dogs here on the forum. Bore Sight if possible! Even on a street light after dark! (SHHHHHH!) It works also! Then start out at 25 or closer and get it on the paper. You should be able to completely sight a rifle in at 100 Yards with no more than 6 shots max if you bore sight and start out close. Then move back and finalize your zero. Practice and you can become proficient with this.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #12
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdavis View Post
thinking about purching a t3 in 7 mag, little concerned about the recoil in such a lite rifle, any advice or comments from anybody would be great. also looking at the browning in same caliber
Get the Tikka T3 Hunter,it's not as lite as the T3 Lite version.Or you could get a 7mm-08 caliber and have a lot less recoil,and also pretty decent performance.There are plenty of factory ammo choices for both calibers if you don't reload.
The Browning is also a great choice.Both of them have some of the smoothest bolts of any factory rifles.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #13

I have a couple of Tikka Varmint rifles. One is a .223 & the other a .308. While these are probably a little heavier than the Tikka Lite, I'm sure a person could do some mods to add some weight. I did put a brake on the .223 & can hardly feel any re-coil at all. The .308 could use one, but I shoot F-TR with it & can't use a brake. I also used some sticky lead wheel weights inside the stock. Not really to add weight, it's there for better balance. I don't know why you couldn't just add more of those to help reduce re-coil in the lite.

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers