tikka
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > tikka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default tikka

thinking about purching a t3 in 7 mag, little concerned about the recoil in such a lite rifle, any advice or comments from anybody would be great. also looking at the browning in same caliber

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FWIW, I had a T3 Lite in .30-06. It was not pleasant to shoot and I love the .30-06 round. Extrapolate to the 7mag from there.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

i find the 7mm mag unpleasent to shoot. 30-06 .308 are doable and make range time fun. i like shooting big bore rifles in the 45cal range because its more of a push than a punch. the recoil pulse is more gentle while the magnums in the 7mm 300 etc are more sharp and painful.

a good recoil pad and shoulder pad can tame a lot of it. i put a limb saver recoil pad on my 458 winmag and it works as advertised.

is there a specific reason your looking at one?? or just want one??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #4

no real specific reason, alot of other calibers could do the job for moderate range big game, was just interested in 7 mag, looking at more hunting than range time

Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdavis View Post
no real specific reason, alot of other calibers could do the job for moderate range big game, was just interested in 7 mag, looking at more hunting than range time
there is a relative of a friend of my dad's that hunts on our ranch down in south texas. he uses a 7mm mag and he has developed such a huge flinch from the recoil he seldom connects with a deer at 75-125 yards. ive seen a lot of people at deer sight in time that bought 300 and 7mm mags and they have a terrible time. they blame their scope their ammo the wind etc. all of em tense right up before the shot. its not a easy rifle round to become proficient with especially if you dont load for it and dont plan on shooting it a lot.

i would suggest seeing if you cant dig someone up that will let you run a box of ammmo through theirs before you buy if you have never tried one.

unless your reaching waaaay out for say moose or elk the 30-06 will get it done easily

any particular beastie your gonna be after??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2721 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

I do not know about the TIKA and it's light weight. That might and does normally make a difference regarding recoil. But I use a Remington CDL 7 MM Rem Mag. in Texas and other places each year. The recoil is not bad. Maybe because it might be heavier than the Tika and it has a fine factory recoil pad on it. I do not notice the recoil being that bad at all. But I sure do like the fact that with a 200 yard zero which equals 1.3 inches high at 100. And at 300 I am only 6 or so inches low. And only 17-18" low at 400 yards. For the biggest part anything up to 250 I just aim straight on. And at long ranges it will also take the animal down cleanly and humanely. If there is anything I hate is wounding animals and watching them suffer. I have hunted with just about everything and like the 7MM best for my Texas hunting.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #7

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

I have an old Savage 110 in 7mm Rem mag.
It has less felt recoil than my buddies .270. So it is not about the caliber, but the rifle/ stock design. My 7mm Savage is really nice to shoot. After a few bolts and a plate in my neck, I am very pleased that it is still a great rifle for me. Still ugly as all hell, and carries like a 2x4, but she does the job. Check out this chart. I hate when people talk about sh!t they have no clue about>

Rifle Recoil Table

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-07-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #8

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I do not know about the TIKA and it's light weight. That might and does normally make a difference regarding recoil. But I use a Remington CDL 7 MM Rem Mag. in Texas and other places each year. The recoil is not bad. Maybe because it might be heavier than the Tika and it has a fine factory recoil pad on it. I do not notice the recoil being that bad at all. But I sure do like the fact that with a 200 yard zero which equals 1.3 inches high at 100. And at 300 I am only 6 or so inches low. And only 17-18" low at 400 yards. For the biggest part anything up to 250 I just aim straight on. And at long ranges it will also take the animal down cleanly and humanely. If there is anything I hate is wounding animals and watching them suffer. I have hunted with just about everything and like the 7MM best for my Texas hunting.

W/ my handloads I'm at 1.3" high at 100 and 6.5" low at 300 w/ a 200 yard zero w/ 140gr and IMR4831.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #9

Great rifle...put a Holland's Muzzle Brake on it and it kicks like a 223.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't worry about the 7mm Rem Mag's recoil. It kicks no harder than a comparable 30-06. Shoot a T3 in 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag before you buy it if you can. I would recommend putting a good recoil pad on it however.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!