Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   tikka (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/tikka-36490/)

rhdavis 01-06-2011 05:34 AM

tikka

thinking about purching a t3 in 7 mag, little concerned about the recoil in such a lite rifle, any advice or comments from anybody would be great. also looking at the browning in same caliber

CA357 01-06-2011 06:25 AM

FWIW, I had a T3 Lite in .30-06. It was not pleasant to shoot and I love the .30-06 round. Extrapolate to the 7mag from there.

JonM 01-06-2011 01:52 PM

i find the 7mm mag unpleasent to shoot. 30-06 .308 are doable and make range time fun. i like shooting big bore rifles in the 45cal range because its more of a push than a punch. the recoil pulse is more gentle while the magnums in the 7mm 300 etc are more sharp and painful.

a good recoil pad and shoulder pad can tame a lot of it. i put a limb saver recoil pad on my 458 winmag and it works as advertised.

is there a specific reason your looking at one?? or just want one??

rhdavis 01-06-2011 04:33 PM

no real specific reason, alot of other calibers could do the job for moderate range big game, was just interested in 7 mag, looking at more hunting than range time

JonM 01-06-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhdavis (Post 416341)
no real specific reason, alot of other calibers could do the job for moderate range big game, was just interested in 7 mag, looking at more hunting than range time

there is a relative of a friend of my dad's that hunts on our ranch down in south texas. he uses a 7mm mag and he has developed such a huge flinch from the recoil he seldom connects with a deer at 75-125 yards. ive seen a lot of people at deer sight in time that bought 300 and 7mm mags and they have a terrible time. they blame their scope their ammo the wind etc. all of em tense right up before the shot. its not a easy rifle round to become proficient with especially if you dont load for it and dont plan on shooting it a lot.

i would suggest seeing if you cant dig someone up that will let you run a box of ammmo through theirs before you buy if you have never tried one.

unless your reaching waaaay out for say moose or elk the 30-06 will get it done easily

any particular beastie your gonna be after??

Sniper03 01-07-2011 12:45 AM

I do not know about the TIKA and it's light weight. That might and does normally make a difference regarding recoil. But I use a Remington CDL 7 MM Rem Mag. in Texas and other places each year. The recoil is not bad. Maybe because it might be heavier than the Tika and it has a fine factory recoil pad on it. I do not notice the recoil being that bad at all. But I sure do like the fact that with a 200 yard zero which equals 1.3 inches high at 100. And at 300 I am only 6 or so inches low. And only 17-18" low at 400 yards. For the biggest part anything up to 250 I just aim straight on. And at long ranges it will also take the animal down cleanly and humanely. If there is anything I hate is wounding animals and watching them suffer. I have hunted with just about everything and like the 7MM best for my Texas hunting.

jpattersonnh 01-07-2011 12:53 AM

I have an old Savage 110 in 7mm Rem mag.
It has less felt recoil than my buddies .270. So it is not about the caliber, but the rifle/ stock design. My 7mm Savage is really nice to shoot. After a few bolts and a plate in my neck, I am very pleased that it is still a great rifle for me. Still ugly as all hell, and carries like a 2x4, but she does the job. Check out this chart. I hate when people talk about sh!t they have no clue about>

Rifle Recoil Table

jpattersonnh 01-07-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 416630)
I do not know about the TIKA and it's light weight. That might and does normally make a difference regarding recoil. But I use a Remington CDL 7 MM Rem Mag. in Texas and other places each year. The recoil is not bad. Maybe because it might be heavier than the Tika and it has a fine factory recoil pad on it. I do not notice the recoil being that bad at all. But I sure do like the fact that with a 200 yard zero which equals 1.3 inches high at 100. And at 300 I am only 6 or so inches low. And only 17-18" low at 400 yards. For the biggest part anything up to 250 I just aim straight on. And at long ranges it will also take the animal down cleanly and humanely. If there is anything I hate is wounding animals and watching them suffer. I have hunted with just about everything and like the 7MM best for my Texas hunting.

W/ my handloads I'm at 1.3" high at 100 and 6.5" low at 300 w/ a 200 yard zero w/ 140gr and IMR4831.

Dgunsmith 01-07-2011 01:32 AM

Great rifle...put a Holland's Muzzle Brake on it and it kicks like a 223.

stalkingbear 01-07-2011 02:37 AM

Don't worry about the 7mm Rem Mag's recoil. It kicks no harder than a comparable 30-06. Shoot a T3 in 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag before you buy it if you can. I would recommend putting a good recoil pad on it however.