Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Thunder and steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Default Thunder and steel

New article I wrote entitled "Thunder And Steel" and here is the link

http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/121201

Not everyone has a chronograph, but everyone has a wish list in their head. There are plenty of niches to be filled in my life. They all start with "I want this." and need no real reason for existing.
CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

An excellent article. Although I don't reload at this point, I have enough general knowledge that it was quite understandable for me. However, I've never heard of a belted cartridge before. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind explaining it to me please?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
An excellent article. Although I don't reload at this point, I have enough general knowledge that it was quite understandable for me. However, I've never heard of a belted cartridge before. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind explaining it to me please?

It is on some magnum cartridges like the 300H&H, 300Win mag, 300Weaherby (all Weatherby cartirges), 8mm Rem Mag, 375H&H and so on. Some believed it was put there for strengthening the case to make it stronger, but it is for head spacing and for sure feeding out of a box magazine.

None belted case like this 7mm08

Belted case like this 8mm Rem Mag case

note belt around the bottom of the case.
Not everyone has a chronograph, but everyone has a wish list in their head. There are plenty of niches to be filled in my life. They all start with "I want this." and need no real reason for existing.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay. I guess that the higher the pressure of a load, the more important the head space. Is that right?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes it is ca. Anything magnum in a rifle is usually belted I.e. 7mm rem mag, 338 win mag, 300 win mag and all the short mags

Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you kind sir.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #7

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your welcome

Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
and all the short mags
Actually, no.

Winchester Short Magnum
Quote:
All of the WSM cartridges are based on the .404 Jeffery non-belted magnum cartridge which is shortened to fit a short rifle action (such as a .308 Winchester).
An article of importance..

Pros & Cons of the .300 Magnums
Quote:
The belted case was a British idea that originated with the .400/375 Belted Nitro Express in 1905, and it was later used in the development of the .375 H&H and .300 H&H Magnums. Since the .400/375 and .375 H&H cases have virtually no shoulder and the shoulder of the .300 H&H is long and mildly tapered, the British figured all needed a belt for positive headspacing, and they were right. Magnum-size cartridges, such as those developed during the early part of the 20th century by Charles Newton, were exceptions, but other magnums that came along after the 1920s had belts on their cases. While the belt was unnecessary on most of those cartridges, it spelled high performance to many hunters, and for that reason it sold lots of rifles and ammunition through the years. Then came a new breed of magnum cartridges without a belt, and suddenly that little band of brass just forward of the extraction groove of a case had more critics than Michael Moore at a soap-makers convention.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

I don't like rebated rims nor short fat bullets, but that is a preference of mine and it mainly has to do with feeding from a magazine. Some like them I don't.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #10

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 669

I never could understand the dislike some have for a belted magnum. What is the difference whether it is rimmed, semi rimmed, rimless, or belted??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.