Thoughts on Mossberg 100ATR - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Thoughts on Mossberg 100ATR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I'm sorry JD, I meant .308, I'm trying to decide between .243 and .308. I don't plan on ever hunting larger game than whitetail deer but I also don't want to wound an animal and not find it. I'm not sure I would want to shoot a 30-06 out of a lightweight composite stock very much and I don't think I want to carry a heavy enough gun to soak up recoil through the woods. What your guys opinion on 243 vs 308?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 07-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I had one in 270 for a knock around rifle and it performed well for me, it was more than accurate for a hunting rifle. I sold it to a friend because he needed a deer rifle as his was stolen. sometimes I wish I had it back.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #13

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

When you are shooting at game you won't notice the recoil of the 308. How much target shooting do you plan to do with the rifle?

You can get a savage axis with a scope for the same money. The axis is very accurate and when you get more money you can get a nice stock from boyds for $99.

Really a rifle doesn't have to be that heavy to be pleasant to shoot. There is a big difference in a 6.5 lb rifle and a 7.5/8 lb rifle. The difference is the 7.5 lb rifle will have an adequate stock that will help absorb the recoil.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #14

I do plan to do some target shooting with the rifle as my local rifle club is only 15 min drive. I was leaning toward the mossberg over the savage because of the adjustable trigger. That seemed like a big upgrade for the same money, is the savage a better rifle? Honestly this would probably be shot at the range maybe 5-6 times a year and hunted with only a few times during deer season. I just want a dual purpose rifle that doesn't break the bank. I don't need it to shoot tiny groups at 500 yrds. Just out to a couple hundred yards and be light enough to lug around the hills.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
Thanks for the reply axxe. Two questions. First, would I be better off with a .243 as a smaller framed guy. I did ok with the recoil on the 30-06 that I shot at the range but that was a heavy bench rest style gun. And second were you able to get those groups with the bush ell 3-9. These come as a scoped package for $299 new around here.
Thanks

the 243 is a very lightweight recoiling round in most rifles and is usually one of the calibers used going from rimfire to centerfire calibers for younger or newer shooters, and is a good round for smaller framed people. the 243 is an excellent cartridge and one of my longtime favorites. the 243 has an excellent reputation as very versatile cartridge for hunting varmint sized game with the lighter weight bullets and still able to take medium sized game like deer with the heavier bullets.

the Bushnell i used came on the rifle when i bought it, and as i had bought the rifle used, i don't know if came with it originally or the previous owner had installed it. $299 is a decent price for a rifle and scope package. MSRP is about $465 for the package deal.

Quote:
I'm sorry JD, I meant .308, I'm trying to decide between .243 and .308. I don't plan on ever hunting larger game than whitetail deer but I also don't want to wound an animal and not find it. I'm not sure I would want to shoot a 30-06 out of a lightweight composite stock very much and I don't think I want to carry a heavy enough gun to soak up recoil through the woods. What your guys opinion on 243 vs 308?

either the 243 or a 308 would probably serve your needs quite well and both cartridges are excellent for hunting. if you shot a 30-06, then a 308 shouldn't be a problem for you. but let me make an alternative suggestion, that same rifle in a 7mm-08, which is a 308 necked down to a 7mm. excellent round, that has plenty of energy out to around 250-300 yards for deer sized game, is a very flat and accurate cartridge as well, and the recoil is still very mild, and is very close to the 243 in felt recoil. the 7mm-08 i have is probably one of my most shot rifles, simply because i love the cartridge and it's pleasant and enjoyable to shoot all day long. my 7m-08 is in a Marlin XS7 and was even pleasant to shoot for extended periods in the OEM sythetic stock before i replaced it with a laminated one.

Quote:
I do plan to do some target shooting with the rifle as my local rifle club is only 15 min drive. I was leaning toward the mossberg over the savage because of the adjustable trigger. That seemed like a big upgrade for the same money, is the savage a better rifle? Honestly this would probably be shot at the range maybe 5-6 times a year and hunted with only a few times during deer season. I just want a dual purpose rifle that doesn't break the bank. I don't need it to shoot tiny groups at 500 yrds. Just out to a couple hundred yards and be light enough to lug around the hills.

the 243, the 308, or my suggestion of the 7mm-08 would serve those needs for what you are looking for quite well. any of the three can serve quite well as hunting rifles for deer sized game with not any problems. my first three deer as a youngster were with my fathers Winchester M70 in 243, which was the first centerfire rifle i learned to shoot as well. the 243 when loaded with the proper ammo is a very capable round for deer sized game.

for most purposes, the adjustable trigger is not that big a factor for a beginning rifle shooter, so either the Mossberg ATR100 or the Savage Axis would be good choices. if i may, let me suggest another for you to look at and consider, the Marlin X7 which comes in a variety of calibers, including those you are considering. it also is available in the long actioned calibers of 25-06, 270 and 30-06 if you wanted to step up a bit.

the Marlin X7 series of rifles are very well made rifles with lots of features that some of the other entry level rifles don't have, like a pillar bedded stock, an adjustable trigger, and is very accurate rifle as well. they are decently priced and most come with a MSRP of less than $400 and can usually be gotten for about $300-350 new. currently i own three of them in various calibers and am very pleased with all them, and highly recommed them to new shooters or anyone looking for an affordable and well made rifle that is very accurate. they make excellent hunting rifles and good casual target shooting rifles as well. also wouldn't be too heavy to lug around all day either.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask them. i hope this helps you out.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #16

Here is a link to the Savage rifles. Since you are not sure what caliber you want I am going to post a link to the savage rifles. You can negotiate on the guns that say make an offer. When you click on the make an offer dialog it will give you five chances to make an offer both parties can accept. Start low and come up slow. Make your last offer 3% off to cover credit card fees.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_62_974/Rifles/Savage/Savage+Centerfire

Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #17

Here is a range report on the savage Axis. The author is local to me. He is a low budget shooter. Subscribe to his channel if you need to pinch pennies here and there. He has reports on everything from cheap scopes to a full bore rifle bench that he made to shoot from the back of his truck. He is an all around nice guy and he is honest.

Here is a nice article on the 7mm-08. It is a versatile round but ammo is not as plentiful or as inexpensive as it's parent the 308. I shot a deer in AL with a friends 7mm-08 rifle. At 40 yards I could literally see the blood spray as the bullet exited the deer. The way the deer reacted to the shot it was like everything was in slow motion. I did get the job done I was sent to accomplish. A nice young doe for a BBQ that weekend.
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm-08+Remington.html

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-21-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #18

Thanks guys for taking the time to write up your replies. Next step is gonna be heading down to the local sportsmans warehouse and holding them all. I don't have a place to shoot them all so I guess it will just depend on how they fit me. When I bought my semi-auto 22 I went to the store to pick up the marlin 795 and came home with a Remington 597. I think I can eliminate the Remington 770 based on all the negative feedback I've read. I'm leaning towards the mossy in .243 but like I said I haven't held it or felt the trigger yet.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Thanks guys for taking the time to write up your replies. Next step is gonna be heading down to the local sportsmans warehouse and holding them all. I don't have a place to shoot them all so I guess it will just depend on how they fit me. When I bought my semi-auto 22 I went to the store to pick up the marlin 795 and came home with a Remington 597. I think I can eliminate the Remington 770 based on all the negative feedback I've read. I'm leaning towards the mossy in .243 but like I said I haven't held it or felt the trigger yet.

Please Steer Clear of the M770!

i owned one for a very short period of time in 30-06. absolutely the worst excuse i have ever had in a rifle. accuracy was on par with most shotguns!

i did some checking and the ATR100 does have an adjustable trigger as well. if you have the opportunity to handle the Marlin X7 series, do so. as much as i liked the ATR100, i like the X7 more.

i currently own three of them. an XS7 in 7mm-08, an XL7C in 25-06 and an XS7VH in 308. all three are very accurate rifles and very well made. i bought the 25-06 first about five years ago after i read quite a few reviews on them and i was impressed with it after i bought. enough that next week i ran across the XS7 in 7mm-08, which i had wanted a rifle in that caliber for some time, so i bought it. again, i was very impressed with the rifle and the cartridge. i was not dissapointed in the least.

later on when Marlin announced the addition of two calibers in new version of the X7 in a Varmint Hunter with a 26" heavy barrel, i ordered the 308 XS7VH, but had to wait about three months for it to arrive. absolutely love that rifle! extremely accurate with my handloads. i have done some modification to my 308, such as reworking and smoothing the trigger to the point it breaks at under 2 lbs., also modified the stock by glassbedding it and adding weight to it. my rifle with the scope now weighs more than 13.5 lbs., so it's pretty much a bench type gun now. i wanted to see if i could build a budget target rifle for under a $1000 including scope. right now, i'm still under $750 for rifle, scope and all the mods to the rifle.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 216

i like the 243, it was the first centerfire i learned to shoot. even though i am a big frame guy i didnt start shooting untill i was 32.three years later i was itching for a centerfire, a good friend of mine pushed for the 243. i ended up with a model 7. glad that was my first experience with a centerfire and i since have grown to a 270 and 30-06. but the 243 always has been my real favorite....
Axxe55 Likes This