Thoughts on Mossberg 100ATR
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Thoughts on Mossberg 100ATR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Thoughts on Mossberg 100ATR

Thinking of one of these for my first hunting rifle. Would shoot at my local range for practice out to 200 yrds and for a beginning hunter I would probably be inside that range due to my lack of experience.

Any personal experience with these rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Depends on Where you are. Growing up most people used open sight .30-30's. One friend bought a used M70 in .30-06 and we thought he was a god. His advantage, he could hunt fields better. I used a bolt action 12ga that was a wreaking ball with iron sights out to 100 yards. The vitals on a whitetail are 8".
It does not matter the rifle or scope if you zero at 100 and your scope/ rifle/ ammo combo is not up to the task. Let us not forget BUCK FEVER(shooter)! What is the wind doing, Snowing? raining? Are you elevated or below your target. Things are not so simple. I suggest going out with a seasoned hunter if you can, observe. I bet you will barf at the sight of your 1st gutting.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #3

Default Thoughts on Mossberg 100ATR

I would take that bet, my occupation has me witness humans being gutted and put back together daily.

On two your other questions I would love to spend some time with an experienced hunter and learn the ropes. I have thought I this many times. The problems is most people aren't so keen on a couple guys askin permission to harvest an animal on their land.

I live in the southeast US. This would be a deer an range rifle for me. I guess I'm looking at the best option between mossberg ATR, Remington 770, Savage axis. Marlin X series.

Last edited by sleeper; 07-18-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
I would take that bet, my occupation has me witness humans being gutted and put back together daily.

OK, tough guy!! Have at it. You ask for knowledge, but have no idea what it is about. Here is my take. You want a 200.00 rifle and 60.00 scope to do a job they are not up to with cheap Remington core lokt ammo. Am I wrong? Have you ever stalked game? Everyone wants a cheap rifle and expects to be Carlos Hathcock. It won't happen. Your expectation of a 200 yard "clean" kill is a fantasy. Start small, shoot small game, Vermin, birds w/ a shotgun, that will teach you to track a moving target and spot movement. You might be amazed at how bad you are. I'd start small, maybe a .17HMR or .22WMR and a 12ga pump. Learning hunting skills far outweighs range time. Remember always, I'm the guy under your bed. Always silent. I'll also take you out at 400 yards w/ an old warhorse. I started shooting competition at 11 years old. That was 1973. I was already hunting bunnies and squirrels. Best of luck, JP

Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post

On two your other questions I would love to spend some time with an experienced hunter and learn the ropes. I have thought I this many times. The problems is most people aren't so keen on a couple guys askin permission to harvest an animal on their land.

I live in the southeast US. This would be a deer an range rifle for me. I guess I'm looking at the best option between mossberg ATR, Remington 770, Savage axis. Marlin X series.
Ah, the edit. We have a number of guys in the South East that you might tag along with. Just go to the hunting section and ask! Simple. If you were here in the Northland, i'd show you the ropes. You can also talk to your fish and game. They will hook you up. Before spending hard earned cash, talk to locals and people w/ real world experience in your area.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #6

Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot. I asked about buying a starter bolt gun that would be a functional hunting rifle and you made a crack about me puking when i get my first kill.
Not trying to be a tough guy just looking for advice. I never claimed to be a famous sniper or even a good shot for that matter. I can shoot a one inch group at 100 yrds. on a rest (friend of mine's .308) and have no problems picking off squirrels with my .22.
So, I think I can be capable of learning to put venison in the freezer with a little help.
Everyone always says if you can afford a $300 dollar rifle you should save and buy a $500 rifle. This is probably true, however I just want to be able to learn, shoot, and have some fun.but I don't want to burn $300 bucks and take a loss on a rifle because I didn't ask the question.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #7

Liked 2223 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

One thing I really like about the ATR is you can actually get one with iron sights. The ATR comes standard with an adjustable trigger set at 3lb. If you plan to get a hard kicking caliber a walnut stock is available to soak up the recoil. In all the tests I read the ATR shot a 1" or smaller group at 100 yards. The ATR has been tested by all the gun gurus. You can find both written reviews and youtube videos of the ATR. There are a couple negative things I have seen about the ATR. First the checkering in the bolt knob. You might like the checkering. If you don't it is nothing that cannot be fixed with a dremmel tool. Second the magazine is kind of funky. It is a no tilt magazine that can be tedious to load. The magazine has a coil spring under the follower instead of the traditional Z spring. Also there is no floor plate in the magazine. You have to cycle the ammo out of the magazine with the bolt.

For a Few bucks more the Ruger American is nicer rifle. I don't care for the rotary magazine. But in short order someone will build a more user friendly magazine. I am looking for a 243 myself. Using www.gunwatcher.com I found a Ruger American for $299. You can expect to pay a little more for more popular calibers.

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-18-2014 at 04:44 AM.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i owned a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 a few years ago.

my experiance and observations go as follows.

first, mine had the sporter barrel with no sights, and a synthetic stock. the barrel was substantial, not quite a varmint contour, but very much like a magnum contour. fit and finish were very good, though with the black synthtic stock, that made the rifle look rather cheap. (personal preference: i hate black synthetic stocks. all mine get camo painted!) barrel was 22" and freefloated which i liked. barrel is attached to the reciever much like the Savage barrel nut system.

action was very smooth and worked great. cartridges fed great each and every time from the blind mag. trigger was very nice too, on such an inexpensive rifle. not as nice as some more expensive rifles, but not bad at all, and would serve well for a hunting rifle.

now, onto shooting this rifle. i did have extensive range time as i was working up some loads for it, to see what it's accuracy potential was like. first things first, recoil is bad with this rifle. (of all the many rifles in 30-06 i have owned over the years, this one tops all of them in recoil for a 30-06!) but later on found this to be the main consensus among owners of the ATR100. but, on a pleasant note, accuracy was simply amazing. shot many, many sub MOA groups at 100 yards with the loads i worked up for it. it liked a very wide range of bullet weights. it even performed very well with several differnt brands of factory loaded ammo as well. so accuracy to say the least, was very impressive.

final thoughts. well if i still hunted, i would not hesitate in the least to take this rifle to the deer lease. if a person misses, it's their fault, not the rifles! well since i don't hunt anymore, with it's what i consider massive recoil for a rifle in 30-06, it's not for me as a target shooter. i tried various methods of trying to dampen the recoil, but didn't have much luck. shame too, because i actually like the ATR100. in the future i want to try another one, and try some different methods on reducing the felt recoil. all in all, i give this rifle high marks and a good recommendation.

i picked mine up for about $250 in a pawn shop, very lightly used, with a decent Bushnell scope in 3-9x40 already mounted. shop around, and you may be able to find a nice used one.
File Type: jpg mossberg atr100 schematic.jpg (28.1 KB, 36 views)

Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply axxe. Two questions. First, would I be better off with a .243 as a smaller framed guy. I did ok with the recoil on the 30-06 that I shot at the range but that was a heavy bench rest style gun. And second were you able to get those groups with the bush ell 3-9. These come as a scoped package for $299 new around here.
Thanks

Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Liked 2223 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you are going to shoot a 30/06 it needs to have a substantial stock, about the size of a shotgun stock. Many years ago I bought a savage carbine chambered in 270. The savage kicked like a mule and the scope was dangerously close to my face.

I shoot a BAR chambered in 30/06 now. The BAR is as gentle as a 30/06 can be. I also have a model 70 chambered in 270. It is very smooth shooting. if you compare the stock of a Browning, Weatherby or any high quality gun you will notice the stock on all mossberg rifles to be almost as small as a lot of rimfire stocks. The Mossberg walnut stocks are a little better.

Have a look at the Mossberg home page. You can see the synthetic stocks are poorly designed. The comb looks like it is going downhill, not to mention the 13.25" length of pull.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mossberg-atr

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-20-2014 at 11:13 AM.