Thompson Center Encore 209x45 Rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Thompson Center Encore 209x45 Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thompson Center Encore 209x45 Rifle

Has anyone ever tried this rifle from walmart: Thompson Center Encore 209x45 Rifle
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3267053
What caliber is it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I`ve never shot a 209-45, but have had a 209-50 for several years. I killed a deer with mine last year at 289 yrds, lazered. I would not have shot but the deer had already been hit and I was just trying to put it down. They are a nice rifle, high priced, but nice. I`ve killed 3 deer with mine in the last 2 years. Had the .45 cal. been on the market when I bought mine I would have gotten a .45 cal. If you get one, get a Barns alignment tool. It goes on the end of your ram rod and looks like a cleaning jag with a cone cut into the end of it. It keeps the axis of the bullet true in the bore and they claim it will cut your groups by 1/2, it did far better than that in my rifle.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a black powder muzzle loader in .45 caliber that uses a 209(shotgun) primer instead of a percussion cap.
Since it is an Encore you should be able to switch barrels out to centerfire and rimfire versions. This firearm will, most likely, require a 4473 and a FFL.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

Catfish, I have a Encore 50 cal. and I love it. My question is I have heard that when you swap barrels it can throw off your zero. I have a 30/06 barrel and when I switch back to my muzzleloader this weekend it was off 2" to the left at 100 yds. Have you experienced this also?I don't understand how this would apply since the scope is mounted to the barrel and every thing should go back together the same.Thanks for any help Progun1.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I only have 2 Encore barrels and have 2 frames so I never change barrels. I do however take the barrel oof to clean it and have never noticed it shifting point of impact. I also have never noticed it on any of my Contender barrels. The only thing I can think of right now that might cause your probleb is that your forarm is toughing the barrel and your are putting a different amount of presure on the barrel or putting the presure at a different point on the barrel.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #6

Thanks Catfish, I was thinking the same thing with the pressure on the forearm.Maybe I bumped it and did not recall,I only shoot thur Leupold Glass and it takes a pretty good hit to knock them off. Any way your help was greatly appreciated.