Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Thinking of getting my self a swiss k31 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/thinking-getting-my-self-swiss-k31-35356/)

HighPlainsDrifter 12-08-2010 10:27 PM

Thinking of getting my self a swiss k31

I was looking at the swiss k31 rifle on jgsales.com the other day and i kinda fell in love with it. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this rifle. I really like the way the gun looks,and the straight pull bolt is pretty cool i must admit. I did a little research and found that most say it is the best straight pull bolt design out there. I looked at some youtube videos of the rifle and people are hitting targets at 1000yds open sight, not that im looking to do this but thats pretty impressive. Thanks for any info.:)

cpttango30 12-08-2010 11:12 PM

If I remember right it is a rather smooth quick cycling bolt gun.

Other than that and it looks great I can't help you out too much.

Someone will happen along and give you more.

c3shooter 12-08-2010 11:19 PM

Get one QUICK- and stock up on the Swiss milsurp ammo while you can. The stock will look like it belonged to a Reservist that stood around with the butt in the snow for 2 weeks every year. Metal on metal parts will move like silk over polished glass. Accuracy good enough to sit on one mountain, cap a bad guy on next mountain. About equal to the 30-06 to 500 yds- then it is better than 30-06 due to bullet shape. Action looks weird, works slicker than a jar of vaseline on a warm day. There is a no gunsmithing scope mount available. You are still reading. Stop. Go buy gun. You are still reading. Shooo!

jpattersonnh 12-09-2010 12:05 AM

C3 has it kind of right. The K31 is a very accurate rifle. 2 years ago they were 149.00. Ammo was also dirt cheap some years ago. The reason for the Butt chew is the packs they wore put the Rifle butt in the snow when they sat and they look chewed. Very smooth action. The 7.5x55 is hands down the predecessor of the 7.62x51. Ammo is pricey if you don't reload. GP11 is a match grade bullet. You can get a St.Marie mount that requires no alterations, but it has it's drawbacks. Make sure you buy a Matching one.

mag_01 12-09-2010 12:25 AM

K-31

K-31 is A fine rifle with excelent accuracy as stated GP-11 ammo is match grade. I shoot GP-11 and also reload lead boolits for it using A 200gr. Lee boolit gas checked with 29grs. of 30-31. I have gone as high as 35grs. of course as allways start low and work up.

mag_01 12-09-2010 12:29 AM

Only drawback of the straight bolt design is that when reloading be sure cases are sized properly other wise they will not chamber --- when bolt is closed numbers on bolt have to be at 12 oclok position.

HighPlainsDrifter 12-09-2010 12:35 AM

Thanks for all the imput jgsales.com has a s ton of them for sale for around $250. I dont reload. i would love to do my on loads but i have the stuff needed for loading at home yet. Its a funny thing every time i have the money to get my own reload equip buy a gun instead.lol:D.

jpattersonnh 12-09-2010 12:43 AM

J&G is a great outfit. You can also use Prvi or Wolf gold (same thing, All prvi) and have great results. Save the brass. GP11 is berdan primed, so forget reloading.

M14sRock 12-09-2010 01:41 AM

Buy it HPD. When the last supplies of them go away, there won't be any more.

They are amazing shooters.