Thinking about a first rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Thinking about a first rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

the 22 issue . i guess its up to you . do you need to re-familareize yourself to shooting ?
if so a 22 is a great way to do it .

good calibers to choose from are 243 , 270 , 308 and 30-06. these are very common calibers and will serve you well . a good reason to choose one of the above calibers is ammo availabilty . you can find a good selection of loads at a good price almost anywhere they sell ammo . the 308 can be purchased extra cheap in mil-surplus .ammo can be expensive but most guns can be shot for less then a doller a trigger pull .to compare prices go to "ammoengine.com"

what action gun will you choose ? semi auto loading , lever , pump ,bolt ,single shot are most of your choices and will help decide what brands to look for . you stated your on a budget so maybe a used gun is a good choice . remington 770 and savage 110 are also being offered new from the factory in package guns at good prices .

for tons of good reading on hunting and shooting go to "chuckhawks.com" then click guns and shooting.

hope this helps ,good luck .

Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #12

Do not get a Mosin for your purposes. Given your experience at this point you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage with it. The choice of ammo for hunting is limited and the price high. It is not the ideal gun to learn to shoot with due to recoil which can be intimidating. Eventually you may want a scope on the rifle which leaves you with two options, a long eye relief scope mounted to the rear sight base or having someone do a D&T to the receiver to mount it traditionally which requires a bent bolt to use. Does any of this sound like fun learning? If cost is your biggest factor consider the Savage Package rifle in 243. It comes with a scope already boresighted for around $400. The 243 will kill deer, be easier to learn with and be cheaper to shoot than most rounds.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #13

Well this is just an idea but you can buy one of those rossi rifles and you get 3 barrels with it. One is a 22lr the other is a 20ga, and the 3rd is a .243win.
Solves all of your problems and adds a shotgun. And they only run around $250.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd recommend staying as far away from the Remington model 770 as possible. The model 770 is simply a "revamped" version of the POS model 710.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwrench View Post
remington 770 and savage 110 are also being offered new from the factory in package guns at good prices.

hope this helps ,good luck .

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'd recommend staying as far away from the Remington model 770 as possible. The model 770 is simply a "revamped" version of the POS model 710.
The 710 had a major recall and then discontinued. Wally World carries the 770 pretty heavily with Bushnell scope attached. Not going there myself when there are much better rifles out there for a decent price.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!