Think I want a Ruger Mini 14 for plinking..... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Think I want a Ruger Mini 14 for plinking.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

Don't forget to break in the barrel either.

I'm not sure about the older mini's but the newer ones are capable of pretty good accuracy.

12-18-11-group.jpg

And that's with cheap factory ammo.

Personally, I would probably go with an M1A before a mini 30 but that's just me. I've always liked the M14 and the M1A is about as close as I'm going to get. The mini 30 would be a lot of fun though!

I would also go with the mini 14 over the 30 for plinking, but again that's just me. It's tough to beat the price of .223/5.56 (the mini will shoot either), and it shoots like a .22 but goes bang like a real gun!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Great feedback.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #33

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
Mini's, can be improved to shoot 1MOA. There is nothing inherently non-accurate in the design. They are manurfacured to sloppier tolerances, so any fool at the factory can slap one together.

Lap in the luggs, smooth the trigger, install a smaller gas port, bed the stock and you will have a gun that will out shoot most users.

Also only 1 company makes the mini, and they choose to make them a little sloppy. Tons of people crank out ARs, so competition drives excellence.

I have owned both, AR design has less felt recoil. And because of thir popularity there is an infinite amount of custom options availble.

However, the mini has a slimer profile which is easier to carry in vehicle, it is also easier to shoot prone. The gas design is "heartier", as well as the locking system.

I also think the mini is more fun to shoot, because it has slightly more recoil.(I mean slightly)

Anyway I sold my AR, still have my mini, Though in all honesty I plan on building an AR in .308

Oh yeah, the A-Team prefered the mini, and you don't get more tactical than that!
The Mini IS inherently inaccurate -- sloppy action, below average trigger, poor barrel (even the "new profile" one isn't much better.

The Mini gas system is heartier as is the "locking system"? You're full of hot air.

The A-Team is about right -- notice they never hit a single person, only car and trucks. That really is the kind of accuracy you'll get in a Mini and if that's OK, that's your gun!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-07-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #34

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1878

[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
The Mini IS inherently inaccurate -- sloppy action, below average trigger, poor barrel (even the "new profile" one isn't much better.
i disagree once again. i think triggerjob has it right. the mini's shortcomings are more due to ruger than the platform itself. and just because a gun is less accurate than the most accurate autoloading carbine to date, doesn't mean its inherently inaccurate.

Quote:
The Mini gas system is heartier as is the "locking system"? You're full of hot air.
so, tell us about your current mini ownership experience.....or could it be you are just repeating what you have heard? if you are making all these statements about a mini without owning a modern mini, then you might be the one who is "full of hot air" in this discussion.

Quote:
The A-Team is about right -- notice they never hit a single person, only car and trucks. That really is the kind of accuracy you'll get in a Mini and if that's OK, that's your gun!
ahhh....you should check out some episodes of A-team again. i noticed early on they used AR's as well and never hit anyone with them.

typical for people to blame bad marksmanship skills on the mini though...

in fact, i don't think they could ever even kill anyone with explosives i don't know what the "A" in A-team stood for, but it certainly wasn't "assassin" or "accuracy."

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-07-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #35

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have owned Mini 14 rifles over the years. They are neat little copies of the accurate relieable M-14. I have used them for calling coyotes for the most part. The ones I have owned have just not turned in good accuracy at ranges beyond 150 Yds. The action is OK for a 70 year old design in minature. But it is a complicated reproduction of a fine old service rifle. The Colt AR 15 chambered in 5.56 is a simple design easy to clean when exposed to blow sand or snow. The Colt platform with a low power scope can be very accurate at ranges to 300 yds. with the 62 gr. bullet.