Think I want a Ruger Mini 14 for plinking..... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Think I want a Ruger Mini 14 for plinking.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
FWIW I too have been looking at the Mini but not solely for plinking... I am thinking more of a zombie killer... They are solid reliable platforms and with enough trigger time they are adequately accurate... The newer ones have the heavier profile to the barrels which should add rigidity and consistency (which by definition is accuracy)... I keep looking for a good deal on one but truth be told I think the only way I could get a mini for the price range I want is second hand and probably LEO trade in...
That's what we mean when we say plinking, we mean zombie killers and jackrabbits. The jacks are practice for the zombies. I like the Ruger Mini's as the best balance between accuracy and reliability, between the AR's and the AK's. It would be my first choice of the 3.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #12

Liked 3255 Times on 1945 Posts
Likes Given: 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
What mall-ninja tripe.

As for the OP, if "plinking" means handicapping yourself to hit cans, the Mini-14 is the gun for you.
so, its time to insult because you disagree? well, i completely disagree with your statement myself. i think the posters statement was dead on.

IF you own a 580+ series mini (which i doubt), and you can't hit cans with it, then its time to practice some more. i don't have too much trouble and i'm not exactly a sniper.

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-05-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
Pros?

Cons?
i own a 580 stainless mini. one thing you might notice about those with negative attitudes about the mini, is that they don't own one or owned an older model years ago. many base their opinions on what they hear vs experience as well.

PROS: the garand style action is better and more user friendly imo (and the action stays clean). quality steel vs aluminum. can be set up as a classic rifle, scout, tactical, etc. mine has been very reliable (but i baby all my guns). plenty accurate for plinking needs imo, but might require a little TLC to get it there. i prefer a traditional rifle stock myself. available in stainless steel. easy to break down and clean.

CONS: some parts restricted by ruger could be a PITA. mag changes are slower than AR. optics set up/after market a bit limited. takes some tinkering to get the best out of the accuracy (not a con IF you like to tinker with things). factory mags are the only good ones.

i own a mini and an AR. so far, i prefer my mini. but i haven't owned my AR very long. also, they shoot VERY close to each other with open sights at 50 yards. haven't tested 100 yet.
LikeABoss Likes This 
Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
ARs are a bit more accurate.

But Mini's are a bit more resillient in terms of being like an AK in that they will shoot even after you drop them in the mud.

AK's are the most resillient, but not as accurate as the Mini's.

So it depends on how much you want accuracy versus how much you want resilliency, or if somewhere in between.

The Ruger Mini's are in between.
good post. although my experience with an AK is very limited, i would say this
post reflects my general experiences as well.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #15

Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I borrowed a Mini 14 from my uncle had it for about a 2 months, I liked it, it was accurate enough for me. With iron sights I was shooting mostly between 50-100 yards and I didn't have any major issues out of it. It's a great rifle for shooting cans, bottles, really it's just a nice little rifle for plinking, honestly I don't really like the 5.56 rounds that much I think if I go to get a rifle like the mini 14 I'm going to get an M1 carbine.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #16

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I am quite sure that with the AR and AK rave, there will be plenty of other guys on my side of the zombie wars with the 10 to 300 yd sturngewehr rifles.

So being able to reach out to 600 yds or more with my bolt action, I can get an earlier start on plinking zombies with them.

My dual backups are a 45ACP and a 12 gauge pump btw, for the peanut gallery.
So, AR's are up-to 300 yard guns?

Well, you guys are probably right, the Mini-14 is best and you will be in good company of over 40 years.

Australia: Previously used in the 1980s/1990s by the New South Wales Department of Corrective Services.

France: Used since the 1980s by the Compagnies Républicaines de Sécurité (CRS) of the French national police, the Administration Pénitentiaire (department of corrections) and formerly the GIGN as the Mousqueton AMD.

Honduras

United Kingdom: The Surrey Constabulary Firearms Support Team (now known as the Tactical Firearms Unit) was armed with Mini-14s in the 1980s modified with Choate stocks. The AC-556 was used by the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

Bermuda: Used by the Bermuda Regiment.

United States: Mini-14s were prominently used by the New York City Police Department Emergency Service Unit with the rifles eventually being replaced by the M4 carbine. The NYPD's Organized Crime Control Bureau is armed with the Mini-14s. The Mini-14 is the main rifle used by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation and the Tennessee Department of Corrections.

That's it.

AR Types? They have only been MANUFACTURED in more nations than ever adopted the Mini-14 types.

Afghanistan

Argentina: Special Forces used M16A1 in the Falklands and they currently use the M16A2.

Australia M16A1 used and replaced 1989 by the F88 Au Steyr

Bahrain

Bangladesh: Used by the military, special forces and counter terrorism units.

Barbados

Belize

Bolivia

Brazil

Brunei

Cambodia M16A1 is used.

Cameroon

Canada: C7 and C8 variants made by Colt Canada is used by the Canadian Forces.

Chile

Costa Rica

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Denmark: C7 and C8 variants made by Colt Canada are used by all branches of the Danish Defence.

Dominican Republic

East Timor

Ecuador

Egypt M16A2 is used by Egyptian Navy SEALS.

El Salvador M16A1/A2 is used.

Estonia

Fiji

France

Gabon

Ghana

Greece M16A2/M4 is used by the Special forces of the Hellenic Army ISAF Forces in Afghanistan and Hellenic Navy

Grenada

Guatemala M16A1 is used.

Haiti

Honduras

India

Indonesia

Iraq: Used by Iraqi army.

Israel

Jamaica

Jordan

Republic of Korea: During Vietnam War, United States provided 27,000 M16 rifles to Republic of Korea Armed Forces in Vietnam. Also, 600,000 M16A1s (Colt Model 603K) were manufactured under license by Daewoo Precision Industries. The delivery started in 1974 and ended in 1985.

Lebanon

Lesotho

Liberia

Lithuania: Lithuanian Armed Forces.

Malaysia

Mexico

Monaco

Morocco

New Zealand M16 was used and was replaced in 1988 by Steyr AUG

Nepal

Netherlands: C7 and C8 variants are used by the Royal Netherlands Army.

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Oman

Pakistan: Special Service Group (SSG) of the Pakistan Army.

Panama M16A1 is used.

Peru

Philippines: Manufactured under license by Elisco Tool and Manufacturing.

Qatar

Senegal

Singapore: Local variant of the M16A1 (M16S1) manufactured under license by ST Kinetics.

Somalia

South Africa

Sri Lanka

South Vietnam: 6,000 M16 and 938,000 M16A1, 1966-1975

Thailand

Tunisia

Turkey M16A1/A2/A4 variants is used.

Uganda

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom: Special Air Service.

United States

Uruguay

It isn't about disagreeing -- but what you want something to be doesn't make it so, and when you prove vast ignorance of a subject and insist on demonstrating it don't be shocked and awed when you get called out on it.

Now, let's talk Mosin-Nagant, the REAL best all purpose gun ever made (until the next $79 milsurp import). LOL

Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I just wanted it for plinking, to find out it will be a good zombie defense is an added bonus! I'm sold.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I have a Mini 30 and a DPMS A4. The gun snobs will look down on both. I know it is not the best one out there but the DPMS has a couple thousand rounds with no failures including some Wolf. The Mini 30 has a problem with hard or inset primers (Tulammo) but it shoots decently after some tuning. It is an older model (189) and I am getting 2-3 MOA off a rest or bipod with Wolf using a 2.5X pistol scope on an Amega forward rail mount. I dont have to remove the scope to clean it. It does better with Silver Bear. The newer 580 series Mini's are a lot better than the older ones. I would not turn one down.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #19

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I must admit that I was infatuated with the design for a while. My conclusion (though I never actually shot one) is that this style of action has no business in any other cambering than a 30 cal. So I would get the Mini 30.

7.62×63mm
7.62x51mm
7.62x39mm
7.62×33mm

I'm not a fan of 5.56mm NATO

And actually the 30 would be a better plinker if you wanted to use it on steel. It wouldn't pit the steel as badly.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 06-06-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #20

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

I love the mini14 and 30 but the AR's are just so readily available now, I'd say get both.
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.