Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Think I want a Ruger Mini 14 for plinking.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Think I want a Ruger Mini 14 for plinking.....

Pros?

Cons?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 170

i have been wondering why people choose a mini 14 over the ar? However i will suggest an ar because i heard they are great.I have heard mini 14s are inaccurate but i do love the look of them i have also heard they are pretty reliable.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

ARs are a bit more accurate.

But Mini's are a bit more resillient in terms of being like an AK in that they will shoot even after you drop them in the mud.

AK's are the most resillient, but not as accurate as the Mini's.

So it depends on how much you want accuracy versus how much you want resilliency, or if somewhere in between.

The Ruger Mini's are in between.

If I ever wanted a sturmgewehr for myself, I would get the Ruger Mini-14. That's because I like the M-1 bolt concept, in terms of resilliency, and the 5.56 round is in ample supply at the moment.

But I normally like to engage my theoretical opponents from 600 yards away, or more. Therefore my scoped Rem model 700 in the footsteps of the 1903 Springfield is my combat weapon of choice, for 600 to 50 yards. And for CQB less than 50 yards I prefer a 12 gauge.

I want to be able to take on the zombies while they are still out of range for their own AR's and AK's.

Last edited by Shoobee; 06-04-2012 at 09:53 PM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 909 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 1501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

But Mini's are a bit more resillient in terms of being like an AK in that they will shoot even after you drop them in the mud.

So it depends on how much you want accuracy versus how much you want resilliency, or if somewhere in between.

Ditto! That would be my opinion as well.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #5

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:

If I ever wanted a sturmgewehr for myself, I would get the Ruger Mini-14. That's because I like the M-1 bolt concept, in terms of resilliency, and the 5.56 round is in ample supply at the moment.

But I normally like to engage my theoretical opponents from 600 yards away, or more. Therefore my scoped Rem model 700 in the footsteps of the 1903 Springfield is my combat weapon of choice, for 600 to 50 yards. And for CQB less than 50 yards I prefer a 12 gauge.

I want to be able to take on the zombies while they are still out of range for their own AR's and AK's.
What mall-ninja tripe.

As for the OP, if "plinking" means handicapping yourself to hit cans, the Mini-14 is the gun for you.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thank you for the advice.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #7

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:

Nice theory, but I think you'll find zombies have a way of getting into 150 yards and less a lot faster than you might think.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Lol... thats why his back up isnt a BUG.... its a ball bat with a nail in it!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

FWIW I too have been looking at the Mini but not solely for plinking... I am thinking more of a zombie killer... They are solid reliable platforms and with enough trigger time they are adequately accurate... The newer ones have the heavier profile to the barrels which should add rigidity and consistency (which by definition is accuracy)... I keep looking for a good deal on one but truth be told I think the only way I could get a mini for the price range I want is second hand and probably LEO trade in...

Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Nice theory, but I think you'll find zombies have a way of getting into 150 yards and less a lot faster than you might think.
I am quite sure that with the AR and AK rave, there will be plenty of other guys on my side of the zombie wars with the 10 to 300 yd sturngewehr rifles.

So being able to reach out to 600 yds or more with my bolt action, I can get an earlier start on plinking zombies with them.

My dual backups are a 45ACP and a 12 gauge pump btw, for the peanut gallery.