Is there a typical progression of purchases?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is there a typical progression of purchases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is there a typical progression of purchases?

Just getting into firearms as of late, I am wondering if there is a typical progression in weapons purchase. For instance, I have .380 ACP and .45 ACP pistols that I love to target shoot with, I just picked up a 10-22LR that's a lot of fun. I will start hunting small game with that this year, never having hunted before. After that, is there a logical next purchase in my future? I was thinking of a mini 14 to get me to the next level ammo. What do you all think?

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6467 Times on 3436 Posts
Likes Given: 482

my first centerfire pistol was a desert eagle 357magnum.

my first centerfire rifle was a colt SP1 in .223 the next one was a winchester mod70 in 458winmag.

unless you have a specific need whatever strikes your fancy long as you know the plus and minus of what your getting.

so if your getting a mini14 to be a 600yd tack driver your gonna be a little upset....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #3

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

There is no absolute Progression in firearms, though there is some common ground that many have traveled over the years. But this is not an absolute, Such as many get a BB gun or .22 lr rifle as there first then the next they might buy is say a .357 mag revolver.

Some start their gun experiences out with a shotgun, and then graduate to a medium cal. rifle. I guess the only common thing with most gun owners is they start small then when the bug bites they buy anything they can.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think it's different for each person. I'll warn you though, buy a 1911 or an old S&W wheel gun and you'll find that it's near impossible to walk away from one. Can't beat the feel of a 1911 and S&W has the most beautiful bluing in their old guns....they're just sexy.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #5

Well, I guess I was more wondering, if you've never shot a rifle before, and you start with a 22, you're not going to want to go to a Sharps 1874 next, regardless of how enamored you may be with that weapon. Wouldn't you want to work your way up, recoil-wise, so that you're not wasting your time and getting frustrated by jumping over some major steps?

12FRETTER

Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 7 Posts

Recoil is what it is and I don't think you work yourself up to it. A 300 Win Mag is going to kick regardless of how much .22 LR you've shot. I tend to pick my guns based on needs so if I need to shoot varmints - I'd get a varmint rifle, etc...

Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #7

I understand that, but if you never shot any gun before, you wouldn't start off with a 44Magnum. You would be so bad at it that you'd never want to shoot again. Getting used to recoil, gradually, may be a better way to learn to shoot consistently, no?

12FRETTER

Old 04-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6467 Times on 3436 Posts
Likes Given: 482

if you got a 12ga shotgun try some slug shooting 2 3/4 and 3inch mag slugs. most rifles in the 45-70 range are very close to that level of recoil.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #9

What is meant by 45-70 range? Sorry, I'm really ignorant.

12FRETTER

Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #10

Liked 847 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 986

I guess im weird... My first 2 guns were a SKS and a .40 Sigma (beside my pellet gun, when I was wee lad....) ..... I didnt get the .22's till later....

Ive found most calibers arent really that bad, the recoil may make your accuracy suffer, but its not going beat you up.. i have had friends who wanted to shoot my 12 ga as their first gun, but totally were unprepared for it... For the big stuff you just gotta keep a good grip and keep the butt tight to your shoulder(long guns).

As for your progression of puchases, it depends what your into. Old mil-surps are my thing so i got me a rusky SKS, A buddie of mine wanted to get into hunting so his first gun was a shotgun and now hes saving for a nice hunting rifle. Another friend wanted something for personal protection so his first was a small 9mm. Then sometimes theres just those deals you cant pass up on......

Last edited by Trez; 04-12-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added