Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > There Are Many Mosins, But This One Is Mine!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock

I simply wouldn't buy a mosin online, even if they are reputible. There still could be that one piece of crap on the crate they got stuck with. If I'm buying used or mil-surplus, I'm buying in person.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I suppose some sites might guarantee them?
I noticed some sites for a bit of extra money will supposedly pick out the best of what they have for you.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #22

OK, I don't get it. Now all of you Mosin lovers can blast me, call me names, or whatever. To me, they are cheap, ugly, inaccurate, clumsy, pieces of junk. I would never waste my money on one. Can someone please explain the attraction? Now if you were talking a Yugo 48 Mauser in 8x57, a Chiliean 95 in 7x57, or a Swedish 96 in 6.5x55, then I'm in; but a Mosin? No way.
cottontop

Last edited by cottontop; 10-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #23

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock
Deffinitally all original, there was like 5 to pick from in the shop, I had a good feeling about that one are Russians desiresble? I know their the ones thay started making em but w the war I figured quality check wasn't up to par.
It depends what you want. The best models (quality wise) are Finnish. I bought my Finn Mosin a year ago, shot it many times, (plus the ware of two world wars) and the barrel looks like it just came out of the factory and would put it up a lot of modern hunting rifles.

If you do go Russian, stay away from 1941-44 year models, and don't even question buying a 42-43, as they have the worse quality control EVER. However, if you find a sniper, or ex-sniper model from any year. If you go Russian look for one older than 1920, in my experience, they are better. A "hex" reciever will also up the quality and price. I've attached a pict of my barrel.

Happy Hunting.

By the way, the image isn't fantastic quality. If you want a better one, PM me, and I will get it tonight.
image-4212710294.jpg  

Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman
I'm interested in getting one of these rifles as well. I was wondering, is it a good idea to buy online or not? I found a few on this site among others but I really wouldn't want to get burned with a piece of junk. Maybe some of you know a reliable place to buy online?

http://www.jgsales.com/rifles-c-209_261.html
I would stay away from online purchases regarding the Mosin, as the quality control for this weapon is terrible. You can get one worthy of front-line service, or you can get one that will make you wish you bought an Airsoft gun instead. HEAVILY inspect the barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, and bolt head before purchase to insure quality.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #25

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

If you live near a dunhams they're on sale for $99 this week

Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Well I think I'll look around this area, there's a gun shop in Hutchinson, KS that has tons of guns and they might just happen to have a few of the Mosins. They've got quite a few older guns there and probably surplus weapons as well.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Agree with what everyone says about not risking purchasing online. Plus, half of the fun is culling through 5-10 (or more) of what the store has and driving the employee nuts while you try to narrow down the best bore, stock, and year that you want.

I have a Tula 1942 and have had no problems with it, I may have just got lucky, it has brass upper foregrip caps which I've learned could have designated presentation to an officer (or some such prestige). What is your complaint of the years you listed out of curiosity?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #28

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

AAHHHH Stupid iPhone!!!! I wrote a two page reply to answer the "Appeal of Mosin's" and there was an error in posing and I am not typing it all out aging (at least right now)

Short version: inexpensive centerfire rifle, inexpensive ammo, capable in power and accuracy to take down deer, hog, coyote, and bad guy. Fun to tinker with and do some DIY improvements, great history.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22
Agree with what everyone says about not risking purchasing online. Plus, half of the fun is culling through 5-10 (or more) of what the store has and driving the employee nuts while you try to narrow down the best bore, stock, and year that you want.

I have a Tula 1942 and have had no problems with it, I may have just got lucky, it has brass upper foregrip caps which I've learned could have designated presentation to an officer (or some such prestige). What is your complaint of the years you listed out of curiosity?
These are the years that Russia was most desperate, and workers were ordered to crank out weapons faster than previously needed. This is one of The reasons the "hex" receiver is desired, as the switch to a round receiver i s one of the things the Ruskys did to save time in the war years. (I could go much more in depth here, but it would be somewhat pointless) In rare circumstances, workers would take cold barrels, drill them, and puns them out straight, just to get a firing weapon. However, a lot of the REALLY REALLY REALLY unimagiabley bad ones were given to Korea, Vietnam and even Afghanistan. After production was complete, They shot a couple of rounds through the Weapon, and the weapon was rated. Top notch Mosins were given to Snipers. Next best to Officers, then what was left to enlisted. Therefore, if you have a officer's rifle, It will be nicer (than standard) regardless of the year. In addition, If you can identify your M1891/30 as a Officer's weapon, it could very well be worth much more than average. I don't know to much about that specific category of M1891.

If you would like to look into this topic more, I highly recommend following this link.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm

It will help you gauge your price, and specifically identify your rifle.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #30

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I picked up my first M-N this weekend. I was going to go with a 91/30, but when I started looking at them, a 1900 M91 was the one that caught my eye. I will hav't taken her apart yet, as I am trying to get some good pictures first, and having problems with my wifes good camera.

Rocshaman, what store is that? I live an hour from Huch, but don't get to look in the shops much.