Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Is there any reason to own a .45-70? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/there-any-reason-own-45-70-a-22408/)

Dr. Marneaus 01-20-2010 06:16 PM

Is there any reason to own a .45-70?

I dont hunt, plain and simple (although when I relocate, I would like to).

I know the .45-70 is basically used for only hunting purposes now-a-days, especially short distance hunting, due to wonderful ballistics, haha.

I'm all into lever guns now that I bought a little bitty Henry .22, and want to expand the lever collection.

I figure in the future, .45-70 would be a useful caliber to own, due to its ability to repetitively easily take down pretty much anything on this continent, and then some. Not to mention, I'm sure it'd stop a 2 legged predator from a good distance.

Also, it seems like .45-70 is a very easy and popular caliber to reload as well, which would be good.

I'd like to expand my collection to have useful rifles for a not-so-happy future, shotgun (defense), a defense rifle (some semi auto), .22 for small game, pistols for carry, and then something in a larger caliber for hunting.

I've been in love with the marlin Guide gun for some time now.

I don't know if there's any reason for me to own this caliber, maybe i jsut want another lever gun that'll go "BOOM" and be fun (albeit expensive) to shoot around with.

skullcrusher 01-20-2010 06:34 PM

Seems like you have enough reasons to own one to me.

For hunting, the 45-70 Gov't can not only drop any big game around, but it can also punch through just about anything. Where I hunt, the woods can get pretty thick. Rarely is there a "clear" shot with out some kind of sapling or small bush where the big trees aren't. If my state allowed rifle hunting for big game, I would love to have a 45-70 for that purpose. For now, I just have to do with a 12 ga.

CA357 01-20-2010 06:38 PM

I have owned two Marlin 45/70's, an 1895 Limited and an 1895SS. You will find they have slightly more recoil than your Henry .22 has. ;)

Ammunition is somewhat expensive, but you don't plink with a 45/70, so it all works out. If you're going to reload for it, you'll do fine.

The 45/70 is a short range rifle that is outstanding at 50-75 yards, but 100-150 yds. is stretching it a bit. At 100+ yds, you may want to start lobbing the bullets at the target.

Get one, there's nothing else like them. They're are really fun to shoot and they shoot with authority. If I still had disposable income, I wouldn't be without one. :cool:

robocop10mm 01-20-2010 07:06 PM

I have a Guide Gun and love it! It is an early one with the ported barrel. I can hit a B-27 all day long at 400 yards. With my handload using my own super hard cast 340gr flat point exiting the muzzle at 2100 fps, I would no feel undergunned anywhere except (maybe) southern Africa. Recoil with this load is severe. With MMP sabots and a 200gr .40 cal bullet @ 2000fps it is a sweetheart to shoot and is perfect for coyotes.

It took me many years to get around to buying a .45-70, but I have not regretted it for a minute.

cpttango30 01-20-2010 07:09 PM

I love marlin lever guns of old. I would get a sharps in 45-70 or 45-90 if I could afford one.

LotzORemmies 01-20-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 215832)
I have owned two Marlin 45/70's, an 1895 Limited and an 1895SS. You will find they have slightly more recoil than your Henry .22 has. ;)

Ammunition is somewhat expensive, but you don't plink with a 45/70, so it all works out. If you're going to reload for it, you'll do fine.

The 45/70 is a short range rifle that is outstanding at 50-75 yards, but 100-150 yds. is stretching it a bit. At 100+ yds, you may want to start lobbing the bullets at the target.

Get one, there's nothing else like them. They're are really fun to shoot and they shoot with authority. If I still had disposable income, I wouldn't be without one. :cool:

HAHAHAhahhaha, awesome.

Zacsquatch 01-20-2010 07:28 PM

The moose around here fear them.. Unless more than 200 yards off... 30-30's have no use up here, so somebody figured a 45-70 should just be a bigger version with similar ballistics, haha.

Dr. Marneaus 01-20-2010 08:44 PM

I should also mention that I do not reload, but I plan to once I get a job, haha.

So, I dont hunt and I dont reload, but I will do both of those within the next few years.

I just seem to be having a love affair with lever guns, and want something that'll pack some punch.

And yes, obviously it's not a plinker, but i think it's be fun to shoot around with on occasion!

Wait, more recoil than a .22? Nevermind...maybe I dont want one ;-)

(on a side note, my girlfriend bought me the .22 lever, and I tried to convince her to just put the money towards a .45-70....she entertained the idea until i showed her a round of .45-70....then she changed her mind, haha)

pioneer461 01-20-2010 09:47 PM

I can think of no reason NOT to own one if you want one.

wolfdog 01-20-2010 10:24 PM

Get one they are a lot of fun. And loaded with Horandy's FTX bullets, or if buying factory ammo thier Leverrevolotion load they are very well able to take game out to 200 yard. Besides they make it easy to se the holes in the target.