Thanks to Mosin & Enfield nuts! - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Thanks to Mosin & Enfield nuts!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mag318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 355
Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Looks great. New Furniture????
No that's the original stock, it was new/unissued when I bought a few of these. They are referred to as Irish Contract guns that were imported in the 90s. I wish I would have bought a few more.
enfield-no4-mk2-007.jpg   enfield-no4-mk2-012.jpg  
__________________
mag318 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #52
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
25-5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,274
Liked 772 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
No that's the original stock, it was new/unissued when I bought a few of these. They are referred to as Irish Contract guns that were imported in the 90s. I wish I would have bought a few more.
Fooled me! What a great find. I have seen them in various states of ratty, never so perfect. Is the wood oiled? Does not look varnished like mine. I used Tung oil on my M1A and like it better than the varnish on the MK2.
__________________

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

25-5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mag318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 355
Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Fooled me! What a great find. I have seen them in various states of ratty, never so perfect. Is the wood oiled? Does not look varnished like mine. I used Tung oil on my M1A and like it better than the varnish on the MK2.
These rifles had a linseed oil finish applied at the time of manufacture I believe, no varnish. These come up on auction sites fairly regularly but go for big money usually. I bought 3 for $275 apiece in the 90s.
Now the coolest Enfield though is the No5 Mk1, you need one of these also for your budding collection.
dsc05004.jpg   dsc05006.jpg   dsc05009.jpg   dsc05016.jpg   dsc01541.jpg  

dsc01544.jpg   dsc01549.jpg   dsc01588.jpg  
__________________
mag318 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #54
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
25-5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,274
Liked 772 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
These rifles had a linseed oil finish applied at the time of manufacture I believe, no varnish. These come up on auction sites fairly regularly but go for big money usually. I bought 3 for $275 apiece in the 90s.
Now the coolest Enfield though is the No5 Mk1, you need one of these also for your budding collection.
SMLE and the Jungle Carbine. Show me no more!
It's to late for a budding collection now, I was alive when my MK 2 was made.
__________________

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

25-5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,668
Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Default

I would love one of the early SMLE's... I seen one of those jungle carbines not long ago for $250 but it was drilled for a scope and had one attached... Too bad i cant stand drilled receivers.

__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
marc29th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 667
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Default

forumrunner_20121222_232211.jpg

Figured I'd add mine to the thread

Top - 1943 Mosin-Nagant M91/30
Middle - 1944 No.4 Mk1
Bottom - 1912 No.1 Mk3

They are addicting to say the least!!! Oh and also I have a M44 carbine on order with AIM Surplus. I hope to have that delivered as soon as they work through the backlog.
__________________
marc29th is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HM2Grunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 471
Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
To keep you motivated....
I like what the Finns did with the Mosin. Wish I could find a nice 39 I could afford. Currently have a lot of food for one.
__________________

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

HM2Grunt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Nuts CourtJester The Club House 1 06-02-2011 03:53 AM
Mr T--Get Some NUTS dragunovsks The Club House 4 12-12-2008 01:49 PM
We are all gun nuts now Kelly J Legal and Activism 2 05-14-2008 08:49 PM