Target Rifle options - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Target Rifle options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

That's crazy that he's compensating for 23 feet of bullet drop. And that fact that he's shooting that accurately with such an awful scope. Not only the fact that it's only 3.5 power, but if that's the original scope from 1942, it must be cloudy as hell. Imagine what he could do with a more modern and powerful scope.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
That's crazy that he's compensating for 23 feet of bullet drop. And that fact that he's shooting that accurately with such an awful scope. Not only the fact that it's only 3.5 power, but if that's the original scope from 1942, it must be cloudy as hell. Imagine what he could do with a more modern and powerful scope.

-Fred
There are a few tricks people use to shoot at those distances. There's old Army stories floating around of recruits watching a DI shoot a 1911A1 at targets 200 yards or so away and hitting nearly every time. Unbeknownst to the trainees, the DI's had earlier picked a large enough object to see with the sights and shoot. They would then place their target where the bullets impacted and make it appear they could hit the target without thinking about it. Some of that may be going on here, not really marksmanship.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #23

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post

-Fred
I have a 1937 German Ajack 4x90 that is better than most modern hunting scopes. My PU has a late 1950's soviet scope on it. Crystal clear. Military scopes are easier to use at distance. The Range turret is marked in 50 yard/meter increments from 1 to 13, 13 being 1300 meters. They are also calibrated for the specific rifle model & cartridge. The scope used on the Soviet SVT is calibrated for that rifle and cartridge. Both use the PU scope, but are calibrated differently. Modern Military scopes can be changed for different calibers by changing the cam in the turret. There is no trick shooting involved. These rifles and scopes were made for 1 purpose. Hitting a man at great distances. Very simple operation.

Here is a pic of the Ajack turret.

A Hensoldt z24 turret.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'd go for .223 - .22s will have no chance. Although my club doesn't shoot further than 300m most times, those experienced can go out to 400m depending, and give the SMLEs a run for their money. So you won't have any problem with the distances you're talking about.

Apologies in advance if this is a slight thread-hijack - but I took these pics yesterday and figured this might be a good place rather than starting up a brand new thread for it alone.

Creedmoor Custom Match rifle, tweaked to all hell - even has a spirit-level under the front sight, heh. Would probably require a small mortgage to purchase lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #25

HAHA don't think i'll be buying that anytime soon.

looking to stay under 1k for the total package, rifle/scope/bipod

I was looking at this. Rem 700 .223 w/scope. what do you think? good buy or not? i have no experience with Nikon scopes.

Remington 700 VLS .223 w/ Nikon 6.5x20x44 UCC 223 : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The Rem 700 is pretty reliable; one of the members of my club bought one last October and his shooting has much improved since he got it. Sorry I don't know about Nikon scopes; hopefully a way more experienced (and that wouldn't take much, as I know bugger-all really heh) member here can help you out. All the scopes I've used have been 3-9x 40mm Bushnells.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #27

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default research 7 DECIDE

If you are looking at 22 & 17, You may want to check out a 204. the step from rimmed and center fire.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.