Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Target match rifle build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatricn View Post
I was thinking of building the stock along these lines, it's kind of a crappy pic but you'll get the idea. It's going to be out of a laminated blank, with aluminum pillar blocks and glass bedded( what ever that means or does) I've noticed alot of target rifles have that done.

Attachment 123789
Bench rest rifles will need a stock with a forearm and butt that are parallel and FLAT. This helps with recoil and getting back on target. Benchrest shooting is not a shoot one adjust take aim and squeeze over 10 or 20 seconds. You want a rifle that tracks in the bags/ rest straight back that way you just push the rifle forward to the stop and fire again.

Here is a good video showing how fast everything goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjIxtuRrtw

There are even different ways to shoot. Free recoil is on where the only body parts of you that is touching the gun is your cheek and hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHjjCcr_44

Plus take a look at all the crap these guys put down range. Many will have a wind flag every 3 to 5 feet or yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHjjCcr_44

Please don't take this as me trying to discourage you from getting into benchrest shooting. I just don't want to see someone dump thousands of dollars into a set up to go out and get beat down and discouraged.

Check out youtube tons of benchrest shooting videos.

Guys shooting NBRSA and IBS are spending $3 to 5k on the rifle, $2k+ on optics. Then they spend $4k on all the other stuff needed to be competitive and that is not counting the hours upon hours weighing, measuring, and preparing brass and ammo for one weekend of shooting.

This is not even scratching the surface either. Because in the open division you get to see rail guns that are sci-fi looking contraptions with no stock and lots and lots of aluminum and or stainless and hundreds of hours in machine work. I someday will build me one of them.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1351 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 461

I would get a rulebook and attend a few matches before buying a rifle for competition. Most people start with NRA smallbore. Competitive shooting is an expensive hobby if you do it right. It gets super expensive if you blunder along building rifles before you have even seen a rule book.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19591 Times on 11120 Posts
Likes Given: 49326

Quote:
Understood and well noted,I already have around 800 in the Mosin between the stock bolt and new parts, but it's not like I'm going to sell it, that's what I wanted so did it. I don't care about what I spend it just may take a bit to get it. (Plus I better get my wife a pistol before I spend anymore on guns or I may come up missing).As far as putting time into something, that's how we learn,I can't be disappointed if I tried,I'll learn and keep moving forward. Any good books out there on building rifles from ground up.
not worrying about the amount spent is different in spending unwisely and having to start all over.

i still suggest starting from scratch in building a dedicated target rifle. buying an action and a barrel and having one built. or get a Savage action and barrel and learning how to build one yourself. theat's the beauty of the Savages, they can be built by someone with some mechanical abilities and a few tools, vs. building other types where reamers or a lathe are needed to build them, plus a lot of experiance and knowledge of gunsmithing.

check Brownell's and MidwayUSA. both carry an extensive line-up of good books on firearms and shooting.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you to everyone for your input and knowledge, Like I said I'm gun illiterate, but I can hit what I aim at, most of the time. So why is a 308 better than a 30-06? Because going by a ballistic data sheet for a 150 gr. bullet a
30-06 muzzle vel.2,910 muz.energy 2,820
Bullet drop @ 250 yrds. 7.7"
308 muzzle vel.2,820 muz.energy 2,649
Bullet drop @ 250 yrds. 8.4"
7.62x54R round vel.2,800 energy 3,029
Bullet drop@ 250 yrds. 7.6"
And a 338 Lapua better in all aspects than those.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Thank you to everyone for your input and knowledge, Like I said I'm gun illiterate, but I can hit what I aim at, most of the time. So why is a 308 better than a 30-06? Because going by a ballistic data sheet for a 150 gr. bullet a
30-06 muzzle vel.2,910 muz.energy 2,820
Bullet drop @ 250 yrds. 7.7"
308 muzzle vel.2,820 muz.energy 2,649
Bullet drop @ 250 yrds. 8.4"
7.62x54R round vel.2,800 energy 3,029
Bullet drop@ 250 yrds. 7.6"
And a 338 Lapua better in all aspects than those.
look at the comparisons between the two. they are pretty dang close in balistics. now where the 30-06 has the advantage is because of case capacity, it can hold more powder and can use heavier bullets, (about 180 grs. and up) much better than the 308 with less drop.

for a target rifle, the 308 is a short action and the 30-06 is a long action. the shorter actioned 308 will have less flex, so theoretically will be a more accurate action..

yes the 338 L.M. has much better ballistics than either the 308 or the 30-06, but at a cost of a lot more velocity and energy, launching much larger bullets, which translates into much more recoil. that 338 L.M. is about twice the amount of felt recoil of the 30-06.

your looking to punch holes in paper. you want something that you can shoot for extended rounds. yes some of the magnums can do much better, but at a priceof huge amounts of recoil. getting good at shooting means lots of trigger time sending rounds downrange. those larger magnums are for shooters who have been shooting for years, and even they get worn down from shooting them.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Duelly noted on money wasted or spent wisely. One of my character flaws, I get an idea and take off running before the blindfold comes off or I even know where the hell I'm going. Thanks for grounding me everyone. I think I'll downsize my ideas build a solid foundation and build up from there.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Duelly noted on money wasted or spent wisely. One of my character flaws, I get an idea and take off running before the blindfold comes off or I even know where the hell I'm going. Thanks for grounding me everyone. I think I'll downsize my ideas build a solid foundation and build up from there.
sounds like you are a hands on kind of person. i would PM TXhillbilly about him guiding you through building a rifle from srcatch using a Savage action in 260 Rem. or maybe a 6.5 Creedmore. i have seen a couple of his rifles in person and have met him personally this last summer. the man is a wealth of knowledge on shooting, building Savages and reloading.

i started this thread a while back and TXhillbilly adds a lot of valuable information in this thread. if you get time, you might want to read through it.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/bolt-action-rifles-92316/
gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Rifles intended for target shooting have to be built with the type of shooting in mind. Short Range (100-200-300yd) rifles are probably the most specialized rifles in the world of rifles. Short range BR rifles are relatively short, stiff, and rigid units. at least 95% of them are chambered for the 6PPC. Other cartridges which can compete successfully are the 222, 223, 6BR and 30 BR.
Long range BR rifles are longer, heavier (16 pounds is the light rifle class!) and chamberings reflect the need to push bullets with higher ballistic co-efficients to decent velocities. Cartridges which are favored include the 6BR, the various 6.5's, the 284 and some other sevens, 30 calibers from 308 up to 300 Mag. Short range shooters use scopes of 35 to 45 power while long range shooters often go with variable scopes. GD